Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recover data from an external hdd

• 29-09-2009 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi......I was wondering if anybody can help me please. I have a WD Passport external hdd which was inadvertently dropped....not my fault but it happened!! It has lots of data on it I want to recover and am wondering if anybody knows any good people or companies in the Dublin, preferably South Dublin area.

Basically when you plug the hdd into a comp, it's not being recognised and picked up as an external device. I downloaded diagnostic software direct from the WD site and that didn't pick it up either. You can head the hdd discs spinning and trying to connect when it's plugged in but all it does is click, click, click.....

I've googled this and the same companies come up all the time and i did speak to one of them once and was told I would be wasting my time to try and recover the dats but I was just wondering if maybe someone has had a success story or a similar problem.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭polyfusion

It's possible that it's the electronics of the case (not the electronics of the HDD) that could be causing the problem, in which case you would need to try connecting the HDD to a PC using some other adaptor (or even internally, if the motherboard is compatible), like an IDE/SATA to USB adaptor. That's what I'd try before writing the HDD off completely.

I have recovered data from a clicking HDD using that type of adaptor and File Scavenger software; my experiments recovered the data 2 more times after that before the disk failed completely, so my advise would be to not unnecessarily try to run the HDD - the number of times you get it running may be limited.

Advertisement