Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Softpaws

Options
  • 29-09-2009 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

Hi All,

Just thought I'd post this for anyone renting as they are a great idea not sure if they are already up or not.

www.Softpaws.com

Basically they are lil gel covers that go over the claws of dogs & cats.

I stumbled across them when i was trying to find a deterant spray for my curtains online. We recently adopted 2 lil kittens from these boards and one seems to like climbing to the top then cant get down. As he has gotten bigger it has gotten worse the big wuss just cries and cries till we come to the rescue.

I bought these to try as we will be moving in a few months but till then we are renting so when the lil tykes start using the furniture as scratching posts we dont have to be thinking of our deposit going down the drain. The landlord doesn't mind us having them but I wouldnt like them to damage anything in the apartment either way.

Anyways i got them last week and was kinda two minded about it as I hated the thought of it ruining their play or them enjoying their 3 tier cativity centre :D so I thought Id try it on their front paws to see how it went if they where not enjoying life with them when they fell off that id be it.

Well people they are fab, the kittens didn't mind getting them on but they are used to getting their nails trimmed so might be why. They are really easy to apply and the only way you'd know the clear ones where even on the kittens is from the lil tick tick noise they make when they are running about. They haven't stopped them playing, stretching, jumping up, they even still go through the motions of scratching but without taking any chunks of fluff from the bed. They are great for my wardrobe to as no more treads hanging from my work trousers or my glad rags :p

I really hadn't expected them to be so good as they seemed a like another crazy american fad but it seems the company has been around for years, but with us not being there during the day the fear of poor lil Loki stuck up or falling and hurting himself from the railing cos he's a looney was abit hard to face so i thought they would be worth the shot.

Im so happy I gave them a chance and as it stops any scratches on me and my Bf to its even more fun to play with the two lil guys and great for any young kids that are coming round to.

Hope they are of use to someone else as they where to us.

BTW I dont intend on keeping these on the lil guys forever as I said it is just till we get our own place in my mind atm. I do realise that scratching is what cats and kittens do so please don't go mad that I just want to protect the furniture.

These I am sure though would be great for anyone with a pet that is scratching mad and wants them to spend more time inside without any worries. I'm sure vets would appreciate these lil wonders aswell for any lil monsters they have to examine lol.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭FunkyMissMonkey

I've been using Softpaws on my (four strong!) rabble since we got them, and I think they're amazing. They all took a little while to get used to having them applied, and in the first few months, they often over-groomed to try to get them off again! :D Eventually they've gotten used to them though, and since I'm still renting, they're invaluable for me.

The kitties are all indoor-only, so have no need of their claws for climbing trees or fighting, I certainly wouldn't put them on outdoor kitties. We tend to have a different colour for each too, so we can tell easily who has lost one and needs a replacement! The ta-tapping noise on hard floors when they walk is quite funny too, means the cats can't sneak up on you anymore! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Kyri

Thats the only drawback for them and its quite funny to watch when loki tries to sneak up on his sister milo and you just see her lil ears prick up then she turns and chases him instead lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Cant decide what i think of these yet! The colours look ridiculous though! Im generally against any kind of shoe or covering of any kind on animals paws as theyre such a sensory part of an animal! Have to think about this one ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Kyri

I got the clear ones and lil black and white ones as Lokis Paws are Black and Milos are white you cant see them. Thought the pinks, reds etc where a bit too much tbh myself.

The just slip over the claw itself, not onto the paw in any way. So they still have full sensory use of their paws. :D It simply stop them scratching the sofa/curtains/carpet/beds in your house, which whether you're renting or not, is a very good thing to prevent!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭useful_contacts

they seem a good idea but my partner just brought up an interesting tid bit. what if your cat gets attacked by another animal it wont have its claws for defense

As I said, I only use them for indoor-only cats. If they were outdoor cats I certainly wouldn't. As you say, they'd need their claws to defend themselves, and potentially escape up things also. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

oh my god, they are so funny looking it's amazing, i do want them for my kitten though, he is very claw-y and playful and will be indoor only...
    he is a boy though so i'll probably get the clear ones...

Advertisement