Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone @ Home Frustration

• 29-09-2009 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

Hi,

Just wanted to let people know my story. Signed up to Vodafone At Home at the beginning of the month and still not connected despite numerous phone calls to Vodafone.

I cannot sign up on the Vodafone forums as I dont have a Vodafone mobile number (which they keep asking me for).

When I first called, they said they would contact Eircom to see if the line could be set up (I'm in Galway), and I was told it could and I didnt have to do anything and the line would be set up as soon as possible... That was over three weeks ago! I have rang Vodafone numerous times (last Friday, yesterday and again today but no luck...)

Can I get out of the contract even though the 7 days are up since I signed up but I havent started getting their service.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

As someone who has just signed up I got an e-mail saying:
    1. Firstly, your home phone line will be transferred to Vodafone. This can take around 10 working days.
    2. Your broadband connection will then be activated. This can take around 21 working days.

Did you not get that or something?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Pick up the phone and dial 198000 , a carrier name number will be spoken to you . If "eircom" then they have not started the port and you may go with another carrier .

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭firebug_guy

Vegeta wrote: »
    Did you not get that or something?

I have been waiting 22 days and still not connected. And when I try dial anyone, I get a message from Eircom saying "to get connected call..."

Vodafone said they would phone me back yesterday and they didnt, then I rang this morning and my case was a "priority" but I still havent heard from anyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

I have been waiting 22 days and still not connected. And when I try dial anyone, I get a message from Eircom saying "to get connected call..."

Vodafone said they would phone me back yesterday and they didnt, then I rang this morning and my case was a "priority" but I still havent heard from anyone

Ouch

Hope I don't get similar treatment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Vodafone are swamped right now from what I understand , if you are in Dublin how about the 10 months free line rental from eircom deal IF the line has been inactive since 31 dec 2008 ?? That and free connection .

Dial 199000 , note the number and ring 1901 to check whether you qualify !!

Read the PSTN Trial Line offer here and the free connection deal too , in fact make sure you save the PDF in case eircom 'forget' their deal .

http://www.eircom.ie/About/Activities/internet_special_offer.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,524 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Do you have a phone line in the house already. Most people have problems if you don't get eircom directly to get your line connected

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

The line wasn't active when you signed up, was it? Big mistake. eircom will put their competitors orders to the back of a very long queue, even though it takes less than 24 hours to activate a pre-existing line.

As spongebob says, dial 198000 and see who owns the line still. If it's eircom, just ring eircom and ask them to activate it. Within 24 hours it will be, then get your account number and phone number, and away you go.

Vodafone are probably up the walls with the transfer of the tens of thousands of BT customers. Also, not the best company to be going to either. Customer service is dire, and they have been having a lot of downtime problems in various parts of the country lately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 fluxter

Hey I am moving from Eircom and just want phone & broadband in Dublin 8.

Which would be better Chorus package or vodaphone?

anybody know if contention speed is good with Vodaphone or has anybody else other problems with them?

thanks

Pat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

just to post my experience:

was with BT on the 3meg package, with no problems. decided to get switched to voda instead of waiting as i'm a voda bill pay customer too (35 a month versus 50? its a no brainer) so bout two weeks ago i rang them to switch. bout a week later i got a call saying the phone had transferred and the broadband would be next.

yesterday i got a text saying my modem had been dispatched, it arrived today at 8am. i just set it up when i got home from work, and the only bad thing i have to say is i was waiting ages to get through to get my new username and password, but once i got it it was plain sailing.

just did a speed test and got this

578178084.png

but then again i am less than a mile from the exchange.

so for now, vodafone at home is getting the thumbs up from me. OP i hope you problems get solved soon, but eircom are cnuts...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

serious issues with vadafone at home tonight the download speed is ridiculously slow and their website seems to have collapsed and their support line is closed!
    this download was running for about 30minutes
    attachment.php?attachmentid=92168&d=1254257655

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

fluxter wrote: »
    anybody know if contention speed is good with Vodaphone or has anybody else other problems with them?

Vodafone is resold eircom, so you'll get exactly what you had with eircom. If there were issues then, you'll still have them now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

I switched over a few days ago. Was fairly painless, the only interruption of service was the time it took me to enter my vodafone DSL user/pass

TheDriver wrote: »
    Do you have a phone line in the house already. Most people have problems if you don't get eircom directly to get your line connected

I rang Eircom and the nice lady *coughnotcough* said she would reconnect my line no problem as soon as I handed over my bank details. When I asked why, she said for the Line Rental...

I'm so peeved off!

So much for "straight forward" - any ideas what I can do now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I rang Eircom and the nice lady *coughnotcough* said she would reconnect my line no problem as soon as I handed over my bank details. When I asked why, she said for the Line Rental...

I'm so peeved off!

this is required but you only pay line rental to eircom while you are waiting for vodafone to take over the line

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭homer911

foggy_lad wrote: »
    serious issues with vadafone at home tonight the download speed is ridiculously slow and their website seems to have collapsed and their support line is closed!
    this download was running for about 30minutes
    attachment.php?attachmentid=92168&d=1254257655

You should use a download manager like FlashGet (http://www.flashget.com/en/download.htm). Although the download above is very slow, it would have been far faster with a DL tool - It would have been good to compare the performance around the same times

I've just switched to VF 3MB package - I'm getting about 2.4-2.6 MB out of it in South Co. Dublin (Was on BT 1MB)

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

I'm so peeved off!

Why didn't you get Vodfone to reconnect your line? no charge no line rental!

mine was reconnected 2 days after talking to them tho a new number which is no biggy..

sorry just read your opening post Lolz....it's a roll of the dice I suppose (like most things)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭h2s

I am thinking of going to vodafone, if I do I hope I fair better than OP.

The decision will be made tomorrow. I have tried on two occasions to get Eircom to set up BB on my line and each time it doesn't happen.

Spoke to a eircom bloke this evening who told me there was no order for BB on my account despite having ordered before: once speaking to an agent and when that didn't work I did it online, I even got an email saying it would go ahead, but again no joy.

I will check tomorrow with an agent and if the order is missing again, then off to Vodafone I go.

Eircom are really takng the P1ss

Just to let ye know - I still do not have Broadband
    I signed up on September 7th - today is November 2nd! I'm being fei*ed around by them - have called them at least 10 times but have been 100% guaranteed I will have Broadband by this coming Thursday...

*fingers crossed*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,972 ✭✭✭Vodafone: Paul

Thanks for bringing this to my attention Firebug_guy.

You have PM on it.

Paul.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 RonanHan

My experience with Vodafone @ Home is different....

When I signed-up initially (for the 3Mb pack) I was getting an ADSL Modem speed of 1.9 Mbps. I was pretty pleased with that as I live a good bit from the exchange.

But in recent months, the speed has been reducing to the point where I am now getting about 0.9 Mbps. I've also noticed that powering off and on the modem can give a temporary boost, but there is a definitive fall-off in the speed. (for example, when I got home tonight I was getting 920 kbps, rebooted the modem and now I have 1024 kbps)

I've tried to call Vodafone support, but the best I got was a promise to have an engineer call me (after a marathon 25 minute hold) - but of course the engineer never called and I can't face another half an hour of holding!!

Has anyone else experienced this type of problem?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,972 ✭✭✭Vodafone: Paul

Hi RonanHan,

Can you PM me your CLI or account number.
    If needed I can arrange a call back from one of our tech lads and see if we can't get you running at a quicker speed, and no hold music from me either;)

Paul.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 joeyjoeie

RonanHan wrote: »
    My experience with Vodafone @ Home is different....

When I signed-up initially (for the 3Mb pack) I was getting an ADSL Modem speed of 1.9 Mbps. I was pretty pleased with that as I live a good bit from the exchange.

But in recent months, the speed has been reducing to the point where I am now getting about 0.9 Mbps. I've also noticed that powering off and on the modem can give a temporary boost, but there is a definitive fall-off in the speed. (for example, when I got home tonight I was getting 920 kbps, rebooted the modem and now I have 1024 kbps)

I've tried to call Vodafone support, but the best I got was a promise to have an engineer call me (after a marathon 25 minute hold) - but of course the engineer never called and I can't face another half an hour of holding!!

Has anyone else experienced this type of problem?

Did you get any help with this? I'm getting a serious fall off in speed at night its currently at 631536144.png
    this is a joke of a speed and service so far. contacted vodafone almost everyday and its still the same they don't seem to have a clue. I'm sick of there 30mins to an hour wait to talk to there techs or call backs that don't happen. So far I think no one should get this service

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 RonanHan

The Vodafone guy, Paul, sent me an email to say that an engineer would be in touch with me. I never received a call, however, since that time the performance of the line has improved and I am now getting line speeds of 1600 vs. 1000 or 920.

I don't know if this was related to anything Paul did but as I'm experiencing better performance I'm happy to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Ronan

• Registered Users Posts: 6 macker35

Oh yes, Ive been driven to distraction since november! and six customer service agents and many promises and an average of 25min wait with soul distroying music!
    Still no joy! Good luck sir.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Had been on 1mb BT broadband but was aware of being transferred to vodafone and upgraded to 3mb bb for the same price. Was supposed to be switched on the 24th but i've noticed the speed upgrade today. When i was ion BT 1mb, i was very happy with it, consistently got ~900kb/s which is fair enough considering i dont live that close to an exchange, was'nt expecting much of an increase but its certainly noticeable! :)

722278316.png

Not too bad considering its costin the same! :D

Advertisement