Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek Online MMO

Options
  • 29-09-2009 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭

So anyone here looking forward to the new Star Trek game from Atari (formerly from Cryptic Studios)? I don't know too much about the game myself but from screen shots and what little I've heard it sounds good.

I think there is more emphasis on piloting and ship-to-ship combat than in exploring planets which is a little disappointing. I'm hoping that it comes to consoles as I'm not a PC gamer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Niska

It's being developed by Cryptic Studios and published by Atari.

The game is set 30 years after Nemesis, and there have been a series of articles on the website (www.startrekonline.com) detailing the "history" of those 30 years.

Gamespot recently put up the first of a series of videos which synopsis the intervining years. The first one deals mainly with the Klingons, and shows off the graphics engine. Also, the first images of a Gorn ship...

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/startrekonline/video/6232976

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭CylonYoda

I've had my eye on this for quite some time now, seems odd a Star Trek MMO would take this long just to even get into the development phase. Looks good from what I can make out from the screens and videos but it's looking like we might be in for a wait still.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

looks good. cost a monthly fee ya?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

The fiction that they have on the startrekonline site to fill in the gap of 30 years is very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

thinking the same. Looks like some better thought has gone into this script, than the movie tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭donfarrell

I can't wait for this game XD
    Its coming out febuary which is great yay
    Hope its great :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

i'm in the Beta, but i'm having problems with the graphics so not too enthused to play it until it is resolved
    It's split into 2 parts, the normal running around killing/collecting things and a space section where you control your ship killing/collecting things :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

superfly wrote: »
    i'm in the Beta, but i'm having problems with the graphics so not too enthused to play it until it is resolved
    It's split into 2 parts, the normal running around killing/collecting things and a space section where you control your ship killing/collecting things :)
    How did you get that? I just got a mail today (after pre-ordering) to say I'd get access to the beta release tomorrow. *sex pees with excitement*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭chamlis

I guess he's in the closed beta. Open beta starts tomorrow 12th, at least in US.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

debating whether to pre order for the exclusive bits.

Its quite expensive on steam/direct2drive compared to say the boxed version off amazon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Woden wrote: »
    debating whether to pre order for the exclusive bits.

Its quite expensive on steam/direct2drive compared to say the boxed version off amazon.
    Exclusive bits are **** and you know it. Beta access is the only thing that makes it worth it.

Extra bits are worth it I believe :)

I preordered it off amazon jus to get the bridge BO :)

Beta was nice also ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I'd get it, but the monthly fee is putting me off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

azezil wrote: »
    How did you get that? I just got a mail today (after pre-ordering) to say I'd get access to the beta release tomorrow. *sex pees with excitement*

i got into the closed Beta when i bought a subscription to Champions Online

IvySlayer wrote: »
    I'd get it, but the monthly fee is putting me off.

Ye but ya get 30 days free trial with it so if ya dont like it after 30 days then dont buy the sub :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

Got it down from STeam on saturday, and have to say I'm enjoying it so far. Played a good bit on saturday and for an hour or two yesterday afternoon. Couldn't get back on in the evening.

It seems to be a standard MMORPG type game though, nothing particularily new or exciting that i have noticed. Certainly it seems to be a step up from the Star Wars Galaxies effort.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Big thread about it here. Mixed opinions (more negative tbh) so far.
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055355674

Advertisement