Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We Will Rock You at the O2

Options
  • 29-09-2009 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭

Well, I have my tickets and I'm really looking forward to it. Any other Queen fans out there going also ?

In November it will be 30 years since Queen first played Dublin and it was my first big gig that I attended. What a night !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Yep, although I'm not sure much this qualifies as a concert. Saw Q + PR x2 l;ast year, 2 amazing concerts.

NB: Point of note, Bri usually opens each show tour spot with an apparition of Bo Rhap", so if you want to see him play in the flesh (which I do!), go to the opening night - Wed 20th Jan.

It's a great show, not much of a storyline but the tunes are stomping!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭SligoL

I really hope that this show is good, I just booked tickets for my parents (my Dad is a huge Queen fan). Proceeded to read reviews of other perfomances AFTER I booked them - always wise - and it got some v.bad reviews in some cases. Fingers crossed it's good!

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭cassette50

It has had terrible review from critics, but it somehow keeps on going.

It's a great night out, I saw in it in London and Las Vegas. I'll be seeing it

in Dublin as well.

As for the Brian May appearance- I'm thinking of going to the opening night but I have a feeling that he'll actually play at the press night which is the Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

cassette50 wrote: »
    It has had terrible review from critics, but it somehow keeps on going.

It's a great night out, I saw in it in London and Las Vegas. I'll be seeing it

in Dublin as well.

As for the Brian May appearance- I'm thinking of going to the opening night but I have a feeling that he'll actually play at the press night which is the Thursday.

I wouldn't give too much credance to the critics. It's been running for around 8 years in London and has appeared at other venues around the world. If it was bad, it would have bombed years ago.

Queen bashing was a favourite activity with some critics back in the 70's/80's. As a long time Queen fan, I'm used to this so I expect to go along to the O2 and have a brilliant time.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,226 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

My mate has spare so going head with him. Too young to have ever attended a Queen gig but I hope this will be good show all same as I am big fan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭asharkman

Hi Guys, looking for tickets to see this gig are they still onsale?

Have you checked Ticketmaster ?

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭cassette50

Just in case anyone is interested, it's been confirmed that both Brian May and Roger Taylor will attend the premier in Dublin on January 20th.

http://brianmay.com/queen/queennews/queennews.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

cassette50 wrote: »
    Just in case anyone is interested, it's been confirmed that both Brian May and Roger Taylor will attend the premier in Dublin on January 20th.

http://brianmay.com/queen/queennews/queennews.html

As I thought - great news!

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Stretchryan

Its a great show, have seen it in London and Toronto.

Really good show...

• Advertisement

Well, I went to the show last night and it was absolutely fantastic. All the singers who had lead vocals were really good, there were no "Pierce Brosnans" among them. The sound was great and the settings were brilliant as well. All in all, a great night.
    Did anyone else go to see it and what did you think ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 fuzzums2

Brian and Roger didnt appear on the 20th..
    Couldn't tell you how disappointed I was.. plus the show was stopped twice because of technical difficulties.. =/ apart from all that it was a really good musical and the singing was fantastic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Walked out of this last night half way. Am a rabid queen fan for 25 years and found this childish, corney, contrived, badly and cheaply performed. It made no sense, the songs were turned in stageschool pardies of themselves. Story made no sense whatso ever.

Terribly terribly disappointed,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Nasty_Girl

Hey guys,

Saw this show last night,
    thought it was good craic alright (although I personally thought there should've been less chit chat and more stuff happening at all times on stage)

I have a question and I'm looking for a little help,
    When they played Bohemian Rhapsody a guy with wild grey curly came out on stage to do the guitar solo and everyone started shrieking that it was Brian May.

I didn't think it was him at all.

Anyone know anything?

Checked his website couldn't find out anything!

Fitzgeme, I'm sorry that you were disappointed with the show. I'm a Queen fan going back to 1973 when I first heard Seven Seas of Rhye and I had wanted to see this show for a long time and Saturday night was my first time to see it. I knew it wasn't going to be a Queen concert, no more than Queen and Paul Rodgers in the Point in 2005 was a Queen concert. Yes, the story was naff, corny, and contrived, but it was just a vehicle to hang the Queen songs around. I thought the singers were good, the band excellent, and the stage settings were good also.
    Nasty Girl, I'm not sure who the lead guitarist was but it definitely wasn't Brian May. I do know that the drummer was Rufus Taylor, Roger's son. The ensemble played a song on the Late Late Show a few weeks ago and Brian and Roger were on and Rufus was introduced. When I saw him on stage the other night, you could see a big resemblance to the 1970's Roger.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭bcirl03

Trying to organise babysitter and was wondering if anyone can tell me what time I need to be in my seat by???

Nasty_Girl wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Saw this show last night,
    thought it was good craic alright (although I personally thought there should've been less chit chat and more stuff happening at all times on stage)

I have a question and I'm looking for a little help,
    When they played Bohemian Rhapsody a guy with wild grey curly came out on stage to do the guitar solo and everyone started shrieking that it was Brian May.

I didn't think it was him at all.

Anyone know anything?

Checked his website couldn't find out anything!

I had a look at this website and it looks like the guitarists name is Simon Croft - http://www.wewillrockyou.co.uk/tour/

bcirl03 wrote: »
    Trying to organise babysitter and was wondering if anyone can tell me what time I need to be in my seat by???

I presume the show you are going to starts at 7:30PM. People were taking their seats right up to the last minute. In fact some people came in after it started. Saturday was my second time at an event in the new O2 and I must say it's very easy to get in and out of. Your only issue will be parking as there is no parking around the venue. If you live on or near the red line of the LUAS, it terminates right outside the venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭bcirl03

chughes wrote: »
    I presume the show you are going to starts at 7:30PM. People were taking their seats right up to the last minute. In fact some people came in after it started. Saturday was my second time at an event in the new O2 and I must say it's very easy to get in and out of. Your only issue will be parking as there is no parking around the venue. If you live on or near the red line of the LUAS, it terminates right outside the venue.

Sorry yes 7:30pm show - so does the show start bang on 7:30pm?

Agree it's a great venue and wouldnt dream of bringing a car near it :)

bcirl03 wrote: »
    Sorry yes 7:30pm show - so does the show start bang on 7:30pm?

Agree it's a great venue and wouldnt dream of bringing a car near it :)

As far as I can remember, it may have been 5 minutes late starting but that was about it. I'd try and aim to get there not much after 7:20PM, if possible. Enjoy the show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Nasty_Girl

Hiya,
    Just a note about the luas,
    we had planned to get one from the docklands to the o2 but it was so packed we couldn't squeeze on so allow yourself time in case you have to wait for another or end up walking like we did.

We got in at half 7 and most people were in their seats when I got there and we ended up climbing over people :o It started about two minutes after we sat down.

chughes,
    Thanks for that info about the guitarist, I didn't think it was Brian May tbh but the way everyone screamed when he walked out on stage made me question myself.
    Cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I read a review of this show and is it true that the storyline is about
    instruments that are banned and songs are all computer generated and Simon Cowell is destroying music? If so, is it not a bit ironic that Brian May and Roger Taylor recently appeared on an episode of the X-Factor?

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Shoota

Just back, thought the show was good, not great,

the tunes are absolute magic, the story was a bit meh. Thought all the cast were great.

And then I watched Brian May play guitar for Bohemian Rhapsody at the end, in the flesh, you talk about unforgettable moments, thats a little something i'll cherish forever :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Shoota wrote: »
    Just back, thought the show was good, not great,

the tunes are absolute magic, the story was a bit meh. Thought all the cast were great.

And then I watched Brian May play guitar for Bohemian Rhapsody at the end, in the flesh, you talk about unforgettable moments, thats a little something i'll cherish forever :D
    Sorry to destroy your cherished memory :o
    chughes wrote: »
    I had a look at this website and it looks like the guitarists name is Simon Croft - http://www.wewillrockyou.co.uk/tour/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 older smiley

Sorry Chughes but it was indeed Brian May at the end of the show on Sunday.And for good measure he also brought on Roger Taylor.In fairness he only appeared on Sunday out of the whole run

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭markfla

I thought it was the biggest load of crap I've ever seen, I had my face in my hands with embarrassment...it was cringey stuff altogether.......I was hoping for a dancer to floor themselves to make it worthwhile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

markfla wrote: »
    I thought it was the biggest load of crap I've ever seen, I had my face in my hands with embarrassment...it was cringey stuff altogether.......I was hoping for a dancer to floor themselves to make it worthwhile

I too had terminal embarrassment for everyone involved, childish rubbish. The story was like it was written for a primary school english essay.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭musicmania

Well contrary to what nearly everyone else is saying here I thought last night was brilliant. Great music, great script writing. Loved all the innuendos and double entendres. I laughed the whole way through it. The set was the best for any show I've ever been at and then to see Brian May and Roger Taylor at the end was a kind of magic! I will most definately go see this if it ever tours here again! I was also at Thriller Live just before christmas and this wins hands down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

I was there last night as well and also thought that it was very good.
    Not 'outstanding' by any means but a great nights entertainment.
    This was never intended as a Queen concert, an Opera or a Shakespeare play so I don't know what people expected. It's a musical based around Queen songs and IMO an enjoyable one at that.
    Far surpassed Thriller Live all right.

The criticism reminds me of the Yusuf Islam conert (even though that was dire) - people seemed to forget that they weren't going to a Cat Stevens concert.
    Likewise at Eric Clapton concerts - "He never played Tears in Heaven..." He hasn't played it live for about 7 or 8 years ffs.

BTW, Brian Mays appearance really capped it off brilliantly last night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭musicmania

I was there last night as well and also thought that it was very good.
    Not 'outstanding' by any means but a great nights entertainment.
    This was never intended as a Queen concert, an Opera or a Shakespeare play so I don't know what people expected. It's a musical based around Queen songs and IMO an enjoyable one at that.
    Far surpassed Thriller Live all right.

The criticism reminds me of the Yusuf Islam conert (even though that was dire) - people seemed to forget that they weren't going to a Cat Stevens concert.
    Likewise at Eric Clapton concerts - "He never played Tears in Heaven..." He hasn't played it live for about 7 or 8 years ffs.

BTW, Brian Mays appearance really capped it off brilliantly last night.

You read my mind! I think people can have too high expectations at gigs. myself included at times but I've learned to enjoy each gig for what it is and try not to hope for too much song wise. I could imagine how painful Tears in Heaven is for EC so can understand why he would chose to exclude it. I wasn't at Yusuf Islam but reading reports it made me ashamed to be an irish gig goer. By all accounts the behaviour of some sections of the audience were a disgrace! After reading alot of negative reports about WWRY I went with an open mind and was very pleasantly surprised. I went for good music and to be entertained and that is what I got. At least we had a storyline here unlike Thriller Live. While I did enjoy it as a massive MJ fan, I felt it came across as something thrown together rather than a show that has being around a couple of years. That is not taking away from some incredible singing and dancing on the night though. I personally though enjoyed Man in The Mirror much more.

Advertisement