Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeating final year thesis and Dole application/entitlements

Options
  • 29-09-2009 3:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I've finished my four years of college since May and applied for the jobseekers benefit in July because I couldn't get work. Just found out today that I failed my thesis which puts a right spanner in the works (considering I also found out today that I'm getting the supplementary welfare this Friday while I wait for the benefit). So as things are, I'm totally unsure of where I now stand with regards to social welfare entitlements.

The FAQ sticky was a bit confusing really, so...

I've completed attending all classes in college. If I repeat, it will be examination only (my thesis comes under the heading of examination only as I won't be attending classes) and it won't be until February next year, although I'll have to register for it now. I work 1 day a week which the dole office knows and it doesn't affect my ability to claim welfare. I'm 23 since March (if that makes any difference) and I'm very much available for work (thesis won't take up anything near enough time to render me unavailable for work). After failing my thesis - the only thing i've ever failed in 4 years of an undergrad - it's been a pretty crap day. Hope someone can enlighten me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Sorry to hear about your thesis, that's rough alright.

You will need to get a letter from the college stating that the time demands of repeating your thesis will not preclude you from seeking full time work. And there you go, as long as you're able and genuinely seeking full time employment you're good to go :)

Additionally, I'd only give them the letter if they ask for it. Get it ASAP so you have it on hand dated properly and all for your JSA interview, but for now you're receiving payment so don't go about making things more complicated for yourself in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭miec

Hi Op

I am really sorry to hear about failing your thesis, but just to let you know you can continue to claim as I made a claim once I had finished my M.A but still doing the thesis, as I told them I was willing to do that at weekends and evenings. Just get a letter from the college confirming you have completed exams, you can get a standard letter from the dole office, get it signed and hand it back to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Decco M

Hi Guys,

Im in a similar situation as Ruri....
    Just wondering How you got on in the end Ruri?

Advertisement