Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thoughts on lobbying Cork TD's re Nama

Options
  • 29-09-2009 3:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

I have posted an earlier thread attempting to organise a rolling protest outside the Dail from next Tuesday. Unfortunately, there are many people with opinions here but not enough people willing to take action.
    Thus, I am putting forward a second option. I intend on attempting to coordinate Cork people against Nama as I live in East Cork. However, anyone else could do the same in their own county.
    If we have to be specific, we should be chasing FF and the Greens. Given that there are no Green TD's in Cork it will be the FF TD's in Cork that we will be chasing. There are 9 of these TD's. I, along with others, am presently finding out when these TD's hold their clinics. We will then protest outside these clinics.
    I will send an e-mail to each of these TD's beforehand asking them for their position on Nama. Given that they will be pro Nama this will be unacceptable to us. They have to be made aware that they are public servants and should be expressing the opinions of their constituents in government and not those of their party.
    I hope all Cork posters here will e-mail me at namagate@gmail.com
    I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Cork FF TDs didn't dream up Nama.

Turning up at clinics, that's pathetic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 honesty101

Thomond2006, I am aware that Cork TD's did not come up with Nama. I am from Midleton and am trying to coordinate people in Cork who oppose Nama to lobby their FF TD's as they are the ones who will vote for it.
    Also, it is the attitude of negative people like you who will keep this country in the state that it is!!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Protesting will change sweet **** all.

TD's are supposed to be the voice of their constituents, yes? Well, maybe we should express our opinions on Nama to them just in case they don't already know.
    The Nama bill is flawed to the core. Supporters of this cause only required please. Naysayers stay away :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

Democracy is an illusion.

There is nothing you can do, only bend over and take it like a biatch.

Cork forum tbh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Moved from After Hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

honesty101 wrote: »
    I have posted an earlier thread attempting to organise a rolling protest outside the Dail from next Tuesday. Unfortunately, there are many people with opinions here but not enough people willing to take action.
    Thus, I am putting forward a second option. I intend on attempting to coordinate Cork people against Nama as I live in East Cork. However, anyone else could do the same in their own county.
    If we have to be specific, we should be chasing FF and the Greens. Given that there are no Green TD's in Cork it will be the FF TD's in Cork that we will be chasing. There are 9 of these TD's. I, along with others, am presently finding out when these TD's hold their clinics. We will then protest outside these clinics.
    I will send an e-mail to each of these TD's beforehand asking them for their position on Nama. Given that they will be pro Nama this will be unacceptable to us. They have to be made aware that they are public servants and should be expressing the opinions of their constituents in government and not those of their party.
    I hope all Cork posters here will e-mail me at namagate@gmail.com
    I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Are you going to post this on every BB in Ireland?

http://www.peoplesrepublicofcork.com/~peoplesr/forums/showthread.php?t=166805

http://www.politics.ie/cork/107358-thoughts-lobbying-cork-tds-re-nama.html

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭hideous ape

NAMA flawed to the core...yes. So lets hear your alternative!

Your planning on protesting against the one and only option left that most qualified people accept will "hopefully" prevent this country from collapsing in on itself??? Now is not the time for taking the high moral ground...if this was a war we would be in a WWII Stalingrad type situation and we are the Germans. If this doesn't succeed, we are dead!

Bet your relatives complained about the food and the quality of the music as the Titanic sank:)

Seriously the only reason this country is still anyway functional is because we are in the EU and accepted the Euro. So protesting against NAMA may make you sleep better at night but unless you can outline a better alternative then don't bother!

Have you had a look at Dermot Desmonds or David McWilliams suggestions? Frankly, I am disappointed. I thoughts these boards were full of educated open-minded individuals. Maybe they will ready the thread yet?
    God bless free speech and those who don't just settle with what they believe all life has to offer!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭Rebeller

honesty101 wrote:
    I thoughts these boards were full of educated open-minded individuals

Not surprisingly, "these boards" reflect the mindset of the general populace: weak, forelock tugging, gombeen man voting traditionalists who fear change so much that they'll continue to bend over for another 80 years so that FF can collectively arse rape them!

I commend your idealism and positive attitude. NAMA will, inevitably, proceed if there is no widespread vocalised opposition. By "vocalised oppositon" I don't mean the general stress-releasing venting that goes on amongst the general population; I mean street protest, such as that suggested by honesty101.

We are mere minions in this sham of a democracy banana republic but we do have a little more power than most think.

Most of those in the political class are inherently cowardly. They tend to move in whatever direction the wind is blowing. Let's change the direction the wind is blowing by taking our anger to the streets (or in this case, to the TDs clinics).

If NAMA goes ahead, it will condemn this generation and the next to a life of indentured wage slavery. Our taxes will go towards funding the payment of interest on the bonds issued to the banks/investors in return for the bad loans purchased. Should our taxes be spent bettering the quality of life of this nation's citizens or facilitating the luxurious excesses of the traitorous "elite" who have bankrupted the state?
    Turning up at clinics, that's pathetic

No. Your fawning, cowardly apathy is pathetic.

• Advertisement

Rebeller wrote: »
    Not surprisingly, "these boards" reflect the mindset of the general populace: weak, forelock tugging, gombeen man voting traditionalists who fear change so much that they'll continue to bend over for another 80 years so that FF can collectively arse rape them!

I commend your idealism and positive attitude. NAMA will, inevitably, proceed if there is no widespread vocalised opposition. By "vocalised oppositon" I don't mean the general stress-releasing venting that goes on amongst the general population; I mean street protest, such as that suggested by honesty101.

We are mere minions in this sham of a democracy banana republic but we do have a little more power than most think.

Most of those in the political class are inherently cowardly. They tend to move in whatever direction the wind is blowing. Let's change the direction the wind is blowing by taking our anger to the streets (or in this case, to the TDs clinics).

If NAMA goes ahead, it will condemn this generation and the next to a life of indentured wage slavery. Our taxes will go towards funding the payment of interest on the bonds issued to the banks/investors in return for the bad loans purchased. Should our taxes be spent bettering the quality of life of this nation's citizens or facilitating the luxurious excesses of the traitorous "elite" who have bankrupted the state?

No. Your fawning, cowardly apathy is pathetic.

Thanks for your support rebeller. Please e-mail me at namagate@gmail.com
    Regards,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I thoughts these boards were full of educated open-minded individuals.
    They all left the Cork city forum. If you're looking for vapid, careless adolescents, you're in the right place. I see you've already posted in PROC, so you have the rest of the clueless morons already. Party political propaganda spamming muppets fit perfectly in in both locations.

(Did I miss anyone?)

adam

Apologies Adam but what that insult directed at me? I am not party affiliated just someone who opposes Nama and believe strongly enough to take a stand. Do you have children that you care enough about that you do not want this country to dig itself into such a mess that it will be impossible to get out of?

Apologies Adam but what that insult directed at me? I am not party affiliated

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055669673
    Do you have children that you care enough about
    Please, spare me the US TV drama cliches.
    that you do not want this country to dig itself into such a mess that it will be impossible to get out of?
    Yeah, because my post above says that NAMA is great.

Don't read between the lines chum, you're not clever enough to read the ones right in front of your face.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭hideous ape

Well I'm quite well educated, liberal, have no party affiliation and like to make up my own mind. I personally think we need to accept NAMA. Forget about the next generation...this generation needs to prevent our country from becoming a failed state. Not everyone that has accepted NAMA, even agrees its the best option. But we have very little choice, this is not like the Lisbon Referendum. This is about keeping our country from falling apart, if the banking system fails then this country is out of business. We cannot afford to standstill or wait for an alternative to filter out to the majority in our society.

Think of it this way:

The boat is sinking, so do you change course and try to make for land now or keep going in the hope that the water shallows or the boat does not sink.

Some people are deluding themselves by thinking our present problems were caused by one specific class in our society. It makes some people feel better to point the finger at "them" while saying, "It wasn't me". We are all to blame for the mess we are in, every single citizen of this country. The majority of our society took out crazy loans, crazy mortgages, credit card debt, banking fraud, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭shnaek

Have to say, I agree with hideous ape. Things are bad, and have been going bad the last 5 years, but now that we're screwed we need to take action. If not Nama, then what will follow will be more debate, commissions, reports, procrastination, then IMF.
    I'm far from enamoured with FF, and have never been a huge fan, but action is needed now, not more talk.

Given that the country is in the horrors basically, why did the government take their 9 week holiday like there was nothing wrong? There was plenty of time there for them to consider the alternatives! Has anybody even looked at the alternatives?
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinion/2009/0916/1224254639563.html

shnaek wrote: »
    If not Nama, then what will follow will be more debate, commissions, reports, procrastination, then IMF.
    Not really. The options are NAMA or nationalisation in the manner suggested by the other economists. It's pretty much a binary choice, and NAMA is 0.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

dahamsta wrote: »
    Not really. The options are NAMA or nationalisation in the manner suggested by the other economists. It's pretty much a binary choice, and NAMA is 0.
    Not sure what "the other economists" means, has the department of finance finally hired one? :D

Did you log in to the wrong account by mistake?

• Advertisement

Did you log in to the wrong account by mistake?
    Funny thing about a political party, you can have more than one person in it. Is it normally the way to lob abuse at people the first time you meet them? Honesty101 is a good man trying to make a difference, and if you can't appreciate that, keyboard warrior your way back to AH, thanks.

Amhran Nua wrote: »
    Funny thing about a political party, you can have more than one person in it.
    Not yours, chum, not yours.

Not yours, chum, not yours.
    Good one, no wonder this forum is so popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭shnaek

So you could describe it as a YES to nationalisation protest then, to frame it in the positive! :D

Personally I think if the government were to turn around now and say that they'll go the nationalisation route then they'd loose all credibility. Now, bank staff would of course be delighted with nationalisation as they'd then become public servants and would be nicely protected. Pension funds would probably not be delighted, as many of them are heavily weighted in bank stocks. Internationally - it's debatable what the reaction would be.

So the story as it stands is - some people favour nationalisation, some favour Nama. The government went for Nama, so the nationalisation people want to protest. So it follows that if the government went for nationalisation the Nama people would protest in much the same manner. So we'd just be in the reverse of the situation we're in now. There are decent arguments for and against both. I just feel we need some decisions now, rather than more talk and delay.

shnaek wrote: »
    Personally I think if the government were to turn around now and say that they'll go the nationalisation route then they'd loose all credibility.
    roffle

Advertisement