Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

wife 30ths - Hotel & Spa recommend!

• 29-09-2009 3:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭

Right folks,

Looking for advice Its my wifes 30th birthday. We plan on escaping for a night maybe 2 for a weekend in Nov. I'm looking for a nice hotel & Spa within reasonable distance of Kildare Dublin etc. One of those weekend deal with meal & massage etc included.

Any one ever stayed in a place they want to recommend?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Better here as the Ladies lounge charter frowns on present advice and such. You sould have more luck here anyway.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭In_tuition

Stayed in the Sheraton Athlone only last weekend here

Other-half enjoyed the treatments and I found the hotel very pleasant. We've also stayed here a short while ago and really enjoyed it also, they have some serious deals in the Athlone Springs, the rooms are fantastic. Can recommend the above 2 highly enough I suppose. Athlone is only 45-1hr away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

monarts. simply amazing. www.monart.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Kellys of Rosslare and Seafield Hotel are both supposed to be fantastic. Friend of mine and his fiancee swear by Seafield.

dudara wrote: »
    Kellys of Rosslare and Seafield Hotel are both supposed to be fantastic. Friend of mine and his fiancee swear by Seafield.

kelly's is great if you have kids but i wouldn't recommend it for a quiet romantic weekend. Seafield is okay, and personally didn't find it that nice. rooms were okay but foodwise was a big disappointment.

• Advertisement

monarts. simply amazing

Never heard of it before hence why I looked it up but these Irish folks seem to think a lot different.

In_tuition wrote: »
    Never heard of it before hence why I looked it up but these Irish folks seem to think a lot different.

to be honest they're the usual tiny minority, 6 give it 1 star, 69 give it 5 stars? that's pretty much a thumbs up for me as far as trip advisor goes. Any one who i know who's been there including myself, and i'm not a big fan of spas, loved it, and found it incredibly relaxing etc.

also, try and find one single hotel on trip advisor without the usual one or 5 unhappy customers where 99% of other posters loved the place.

I know mate. I don't pay heed to many of them either and I find that a lot of the time the poor ones will be of time gone by but those few were in the last month which is a bit alarming. I know I am speculating but most of those 69 can probably easily afford to stay there, so when someone like me or the op wants to treat the wife and splash out a little sometimes we think jesus that wasn't worth that kinda money and hence why the bad reports show up. Don't see any decent deals on their site either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Carton House (Maynooth) or the Osprey (Naas) - both are lovely hotels, the rooms are amazing, the spas there are lovely and the food in the restaurants is just delicious!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 243 ✭✭SuperStarHoney

I'd recommend the Wineport Lodge. It doesn't really have a proper spa but they do some treatments and have a hot tub on the roof. It is very secluded and relaxing and we had a lovely weekend there this time last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Had a really nice time with my girlfriend in Lyrath, just outside Kilkenny, a couple of months ago. There were a surprising number of children there, which was the only downside for me, but it was dusing the school holidays so you should be ok in November.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭stifz

thanks for all the replies. Im thinking Seafield or Athlone Springs. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 cathohara

Why has nobody mentioned Killashee or the K Club?
    Have never been to either, but heard the K club is particularly amazing - and v close by...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Unshelved

Brooklodge in Macreddin - just lovely (as long as there isn't a wedding taking place there - check ahead). www.brooklodge.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭lasair

Mount Flacon in Mayo...Its a 5 star. Tranquil and in the woods..its amazing...my oh took me there for my bday and I was spoiled for choice there. The pool and thereapy rooms are amazing..Meals are like dining in heaven...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭pandamoanium

Re: Monart

I have to agree with those other posters on Trip Advisor, I went there recently too and swore never again!

Spent A LOT of money on a weekend away there and I felt disgusted - the bed sheets were dirty, the bathroom was grubby and didn't look to have been cleaned (pubic hairs on the toilet etc..!!) the Spa wasn't great either and hygiene wasn't great in it..

Maybe it was good once upon a time, I on the other hand had a godawful experience though and management didn't want to know about it!

Definitely not a 5* resort by any means.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭piskins72

Unshelved wrote: »
    Brooklodge in Macreddin - just lovely (as long as there isn't a wedding taking place there - check ahead). www.brooklodge.com

+1 for here also, its a beautiful spot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭crisco10

Took my gf to The Heritage in Killinard for a spa weekend in March. Loved the place and quite romantic. Long walks around the golf course and a few spa treatments. A nice big bath too. ;)

http://www.theheritage.com/

Advertisement