Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of studying abroad (North America) for one year?

• 29-09-2009 3:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54 ✭✭

So what exactly would the cost of taking a year of my degree in a University in North America be?

Anyone done it already?

Im cusious about wether fees need to be paid to the university, who pays for accommodation etc.

I would really appreciate some input from anyone who may have done it already, my degree is Psychology.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

I did it as part of my degree, rather than an extra year. My university had links with a few US universities so I looked up which one had the best ratings and went for it. www.isep.org is also a method of doing something similar.

As my uni arranged it, I paid my normal tuition/accommodation fees to my home university, as did the outgoing American student to their college. We effectively just swapped places. I think I took about 2k euro spending money with me for the year, but I also worked as a tutor in the Athletics Department (J1 visa allows up to 20 hours a week on-campus work from recollection) which supplemented that.

I really can't recommend it enough, it was the best year of my life educationally and socially. Once in a lifetime thing.

Any questions feel free to ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Bigdeadlydave

pow wow wrote: »
    I did it as part of my degree, rather than an extra year. My university had links with a few US universities so I looked up which one had the best ratings and went for it. www.isep.org is also a method of doing something similar.

As my uni arranged it, I paid my normal tuition/accommodation fees to my home university, as did the outgoing American student to their college. We effectively just swapped places. I think I took about 2k euro spending money with me for the year, but I also worked as a tutor in the Athletics Department (J1 visa allows up to 20 hours a week on-campus work from recollection) which supplemented that.

I really can't recommend it enough, it was the best year of my life educationally and socially. Once in a lifetime thing.

Any questions feel free to ask.
    So even if your course does not have an "optional year abroad" listed on it, you might be able to extend your course by a year and study abroad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Not exactly (though maybe - someone else could advise?)

My degree was a straight 3 years BA (in Northern Ireland). No mention of studying overseas, sandwich years, extra years etc. Then we were given the option of spending 2nd year abroad, not as an extra year, but in place of the year at home. So I spent 1st year at home, 2nd in the States, and then slotted back in with my class at home for 3rd year. My degree wasn't in anything international - it was actually uniquely Irish so I got to study stuff pretty much unrelated to my degree but it still counted :D

I don't know if your uni will let you do it as an extra year (I can't think why they wouldn't but they aren't usually terribly helpful about such things are they?). The study abroad option never crossed my mind til it was offered to me and was never pushed as part of the course.

Not as many people from Ireland are willing to study abroad as you might think, and if your college has a reciprocal arrangement with a US one (i.e. someone needs to leave for an American student to come over) they're very keen to get you to go :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 186 ✭✭kabuk1

I would talk to someone at your current university to see if there are any direct agreements with a uni in the States. If not, or if you're interested in a different uni, check out ISEP. I'm from the States and regret not doing it while in college. It's really the cheapest way as everyone pays home fees. All you need is money for room and board as well as spending. If you're currently living on your own or on campus here, then you can estimate at about the same price, give or take a bit depending on where you currently reside in Ireland and where you'll be in the States.

I'd say take advantage now. I'm going to be paying ridiculous fees next year as an international student in the UK. I've avoided it in Ireland because I'm in a trainee program.

Advertisement