Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Czech senators file new complaint against Lisbon treaty

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Do read the Charter. Also, perhaps, copyright law.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Looks like a referendum in Britain has become very likely.

A possibility, but not a very likely one. Given that the Czech Constitutional Court already dealt with one complaint I would say that this one won't take very long to deal with, especially if it gets passed here. You seem to be glossing over the relevant facts again, which is that both Czech houses of Parliament have approved ratification, the Court has already dismissed one complaint, and that the government of the Czech Republic and their opposition both support the ratification.

Then again you think one man should decide everything for all of Europe right? Isn't that what Lisbon does, create a dictatorship etc?.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

prinz wrote: »
    Then again you think one man should decide everything for all of Europe right? Isn't that what Lisbon does, create a dictatorship etc?.

No , the op is suggesting that one person can force a referendum in a country , if the treaty is incompatible with that countries constitution.

Where is your issue with that ?

jhegarty wrote: »
    No , the op is suggesting that one person can force a referendum in a country , if the treaty is incompatible with that countries constitution.
    Where is your issue with that ?

You may have missed that like I said, both parliaments in the Czech Republic have passed the ratification. The Constitutional Court has already ruled the most 'controversial' parts to be fully constitutional etc. This new case has nothing to do with the Czech constitution. It is a request for the highest court in the land to decide if the EU would be a "superstate" or not, if Lisbon is passed. The Czech Constitutional Court has already ruled that the Lisbon Treaty is compatible.

What I have issue with is that one man in the Czech Republic has the power to ratify the Lisbon Treaty or not, but that's the Czech way so I accept it. Funny how that is seen as democratic by the "Lisbon is undemocratic" voices.

If the Dáil and Seannad passed a bill, and the Supreme court confirmed it was constitutional, would you be ok with Mary McAleese having the power to still reject it?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

^ No but I'd be happy if she had the ability to call a referendum on it before signing it

• Advertisement

^ No but I'd be happy if she had the ability to call a referendum on it before signing it

That would seem fair enough. However that has nothing to do with Havel and his refusal to ratify... he hasn't made any move towards a Czech general referendum either AFAIK. Therefore you could say he is exercising his powers against the will of the Czech people.

Advertisement