Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Sector Pay. This one is 68 - 83K

Options
  • 29-09-2009 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭

Here's a nice little number.
    35 hours per week.
    31 days off per year.
    Big Pension.
    All the usual perks.
    And of course very nice salary much more than most skilled workers in the private sector.

Have a look:

https://www.publicjobs.ie/cand/jobdetails_eng.asp?JobID=4321&hdnJobID=2709

I'm off the opinion this more clear evidence that the public sector are over paid. The propety was a false economy but is going through a market correction now with prices dropping by 50%.

The other false economy is public service pay which also needs a market correction as evident by this and many other overpaid jobs.

However we'll be doing well to cut these over paid jobs by 5% when the reality is they need to be cut by a lot more.

Discuss...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

well, the working week and holidays you quoted are wrong for th efirst position:

The standard working week applying to the post is: 28 hours

The annual leave associated with the post is: 24 days

not much better tbh :)

in all honesty, is this overpaid? the first post has a quite large list of responsibilities and seems almost managerial in nature (reporting directly to the general manager). What does a similar post in a private institution earn? Until we see the job spec for the private equivalent it would be speculative at best to make a judgement of any kind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭nhughes100

Why don't you apply for it if it's so great or does the little drawback of having to deal with the mentally ill and the associated qualifications put you off?

all three positions appear to be of great responsibility and are definitely management level positions. Not exactly a good demonstration of ht eaverage PS worker imho.

also, you list BIG pension as one of the benefits... where does it say in any of the briefs that they get more than the normal PS pension? To such an extent that you seperate it from "the usual perks". personally I think someone doing this job in the private sector would also be on a "very nice salary" that is "more than most people in the private sector". you're not looking at a job spec the average person can apply for. And these are the minimum requirements. I would hope that the person that gets the job might also have relevant experience surpassing the minimum 5 years (after attaining a National Social Workers Qualification - anyone know whats involved in that?).

sorry OP but this looks like you just saw the salary and went "AHA! lets stir up some public sector bashing again!"

I'm not saying that they arent high wages, they certainly are but I just cant say that they're not deserved for the job thats being described and the minimmum requirements for application. However, 50% of the wage? Ever hear the adage, "you pay peanuts, you get monkeys"? Not saying 34-42k is peanuts but we need to compare like with like. if the private sector equivalent earns 50k gross (incl bonuses but excluding pension contributions) then what sort of lower standard would the HSE have to settle for to fill the role? again, this is public health service you are quoting and positions of responsibility in the public health service (and with the recruitment freeze on I would guess that these were early retirements that created these vacancies and the very fact that they are exempt from the freeze would suggest that they are quite critical positions - this is just a guess though so I could be wrong), I would certianly hope that the government are offering decent incentives to attract the best they can afford. Now, as long as the best possible candidate actually gets the job.... but thats another "issue" isnt it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

nhughes100 wrote: »
    Why don't you apply for it if it's so great or does the little drawback of having to deal with the mentally ill and the associated qualifications put you off?

Why would dealing with the mentally ill put anyone off applying for this position?:confused: Especially a social worker with experience working in the area of mental health.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

... Discuss...

I have read the job specification. It is a relatively senior position, including supervisory and management elements.

It is not obvious to me that the job is overpaid. I say that on the basis that I don't actually know what the burden of work and responsibility is like. My guess is that you don't know either, but feel free to enlighten me further if I am mistaken in my guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

nhughes100 wrote: »

It's nothing to do with me.

This is to do with the finacial state our country is in. Yes a social worker is a very important job. Yes they're great people.

But can we afford these salaries?

I have read the job specification. It is a relatively senior position, including supervisory and management elements.
    I can't understand how something can be such an important senior position and only be 35 hours per week.

Usually senior management work in companies I have worked for work 60 hour weeks.
    It is not obvious to me that the job is overpaid. I say that on the basis that I don't actually know what the burden of work and responsibility is like. My guess is that you don't know either, but feel free to enlighten me further if I am mistaken in my guess.
    Obviously I don't know everything. But, it just seems very high to me.
    Considering the mess the country is in.

i dont think these are really what would normally be considered a "social worker" position.... also, two of the three jobs state that the user needs to make themselves available outside of the hours quoted for external duties.. maybe the management side is covered in that part?

LoLth wrote: »
    What does a similar post in a private institution earn? Until we see the job spec for the private equivalent it would be speculative at best to make a judgement of any kind.

Probably impossible to say in Ireland, since most social workers are employed by the state and mny of those who aren't are likely to be funded by the HSE and follow HSE scales.

But this one in London pays £30k - £42k, this one in Kent pays £35k - £41k and this one in Northamptonshire pays £33k - £35k.

We could probably knock a good chunk off the salary and still attract good candidates, expecially in the current environment. In the private sector, employers would look at the current jobs market and then pitch the job based on that. But these jobs are being pitched at the same rate as last year even while the jobs market has taken a nosedive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

I can't understand how something can be such an important senior position and only be 35 hours per week.

Usually senior management work in companies I have worked for work 60 hour weeks.

Obviously I don't know everything. But, it just seems very high to me.
    Considering the mess the country is in.
    Well said. It may have " supervisory and management elements", but so do a lot of jobs in Dunnes stores. Do not forget the other perks of the job too...eg the pension gratuity on retirement / completion of service of one and a half years salary tax free, and 50% of finishing salary pension. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

dvpower wrote: »
    Probably impossible to say in Ireland, since most social workers are employed by the state and mny of those who aren't are likely to be funded by the HSE and follow HSE scales.

But this one in London pays £30k - £42k, this one in Kent pays £35k - £41k and this one in Northamptonshire pays £33k - £35k.

We could probably knock a good chunk off the salary and still attract good candidates, expecially in the current environment. In the private sector, employers would look at the current jobs market and then pitch the job based on that. But these jobs are being pitched at the same rate as last year even while the jobs market has taken a nosedive.

I have said before (in other posts), I shall say it again. I think looking at UK salaries is bordering on irrelevant. Unless you are going to change the rate in line with Sterling. Euro jobs currently look very attractive because instead of the Euro being worth 69-70p its 90p.

Social workers in the UK have some of the lowest morale in the country, feeling underpaid and undervalued, leading regularly to tragedies and inability of Local Authorities being able to fill the positions.

Saying that Northampton is a great place to work!

dooferoaks wrote: »
    I have said before (in other posts), I shall say it again. I think looking at UK salaries is bordering on irrelevant. Unless you are going to change the rate in line with Sterling. Euro jobs currently look very attractive because instead of the Euro being worth 69-70p its 90p.

Social workers in the UK have some of the lowest morale in the country, feeling underpaid and undervalued, leading regularly to tragedies and inability of Local Authorities being able to fill the positions.

Saying that Northampton is a great place to work!

I remember once reading the UK was the fourth most powerful economy in the world (after Germany, Japan, the US).

It's seems unsustainable that we could pay far more than the UK who also have their own currency. This means they can devalue whenever they want which is the same as cutting public service pay.

We can't do that but pay far more - makes no sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

Social workers in the UK have some of the lowest morale in the country,
    never mind the marale of the social workers in the UK....think of the morale of many in the private sector here as they suffer redundancy / pay cuts / lack of security / pension wipe outs , and as they struggle to support the highest paid public sector in the known world ( avg of 966 per week : source c.s.o. ).

I have said before (in other posts), I shall say it again. I think looking at UK salaries is bordering on irrelevant.

Why, what's so unusual about our planet?
    Unless you are going to change the rate in line with Sterling. Euro jobs currently look very attractive because instead of the Euro being worth 69-70p its 90p.

Happy to do the calculations:
    But this one in London pays €33k - €46k, this one in Kent pays €38k - €45k and this one in Northamptonshire pays €36k - €38k.
    And who can blame them; looking over the fence at their counterparts here getting paid around double their rate?

jimmmy wrote: »
    never mind the marale of the social workers in the UK....think of the morale of many in the private sector here as they suffer redundancy / pay cuts / lack of security / pension wipe outs , and as they struggle to support the highest paid public sector in the known world ( avg of 966 per week : source c.s.o. ).

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

The UK may well be, or has been a large economy but I do not think they have ever paid their Public sector workers enough.

The irish jobs you have indicated paid too much? Possibly.

The UK jobs you have indicated paid enough? Not in my opinion, for a job with intense stress, massive responsibility for the most at risk in the community which doesn't just end when they go home at 5 oclock.

I would not want any of the jobs you have listed even for the money offered in Ireland.

I don't doubt your belief in your argument, or the sincerity of your fear for the country if something is not done, I just have a problem with the looking over the neighbours wall to see what they do or dont have.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Here's a nice little number.

Have a look:

https://www.publicjobs.ie/cand/jobdetails_eng.asp?JobID=4321&hdnJobID=2709

Discuss...

This job specifically involves dealing with Dublin smackheads 24/7 and also with the scissor sisters type of utterly dysfunctional skanger scum and their poor benighted next generation.

Furthermore every time one of these scumbags 'falls through the safety net' you get vilified for it....especially if they kill someone south of the Grand Canal where they 'do not belong' .

You could not get me to do that job for twice the money .

Get real Tim willya :(

I just have a problem with the looking over the neighbours wall to see what they do or dont have.
    Why not?
    Seems a very pragmatic thing to do to compare salaries to other western countries (especially the first country people traditionally emigrate to).

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    This job specifically involves dealing with Dublin smackheads 24/7 and also with the scissor sisters type of utterly dysfunctional skanger scum and their poor benighted next generation.

I didn't see that in the jobspec

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

It seems to me that whenever there appears to be a salary disparity between private and public sector pay, the arguement from unions et al seems to be that the jobs aren;t really comparable.

I've heard this enough times that i have decided to post up the salaries from a public job advert that was sent to me in june of last year.

(1) ASSISTANT ENGINEER

Salary: €41,786 to €60,036 (LSI 2)

(2) GRADUATE ENGINEER

Salary: €33,164 - €39,991

As a graduate, the pay difference from what i recieved (3 years previous - but it was the same scale as i was offered a job at the time) to the minimum pay here 9% greater in public sector.

When this job advertised i was at the same level (assistant engineer) and well inside eligibility criteria, and the difference to the minimum on this pay scale is 24%.

In relation to the "if it is so good why didn't you go for it then" comment which is inevitably coming

I was offered two jobs as a graduate in the PS, but the reason has stayed the same why i wouldn't join unless i don't have any other options, as i worked there before
    - the work is uninteresting, unfulfiling, with very little technical aspects to it which would hamper progression in the various disciplines, and not enough work (at those levels) to fill the day (these are all dependant on being in a position in the offices, not on site!)
    - Entering at the higher levels as project manager would be a viable option however.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭SLUSK

The public sector is way overpaid in Ireland, in most other countries people in the public sector earn less than in the private sector. This sounds like some sort of middle management job which according to my guestimation would max pay 55k in the private sector and there you would have to do alot of unpaid overtime as well since you are on a set salary and not on an hourly wage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

dvpower wrote: »
    I didn't see that in the jobspec

What do you think a senior social worker does in Dublin ?

Would they manage teletubbies or maybe counsel the contestants on some Bill Cullen reality shows ????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

I remember once reading the UK was the fourth most powerful economy in the world (after Germany, Japan, the US).
    Runs about number seven these days and falling.

Sponge Bob wrote: »

Furthermore every time one of these scumbags 'falls through the safety net' you get vilified for it....especially if they kill someone south of the Grand Canal where they 'do not belong' .

You could not get me to do that job for twice the money .

Get real Tim willya :(

oh come on anyone who is going for that position has chosen that as a career and knows what to expect.

oh come on anyone who is going for that position has chosen that as a career and knows what to expect.

Does that mean that they should not be paid an appropriate rate?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭Nermal

An appropriate rate is the minimum necessary to get a qualified applicant, not a number read off a scale or based on how awful the job is. People who hire in the private sector know this, those who hire in the public sector do not, because they have absolutely no incentive to save money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

If you start paying people big money for jobs based on criteria like that you attract people who are only in it for the money, and have no vocational calling other than a comfortable lifestyle. As such you get a lot of overpaid and barely competent people who are miserable with what they are doing. It happened with IT, I'm not pointing any fingers at medicine, politics speaks for itself, it might be an idea to avoid it with social services.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

It's nothing to do with me.

This is to do with the finacial state our country is in. Yes a social worker is a very important job. Yes they're great people.

But can we afford these salaries?

ive had dealings with social workers , ive found them to be wooly liberal doo gooders and profesional hand wringers who do nothing but deliberate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

SLUSK wrote: »
    The public sector is way overpaid in Ireland, in most other countries people in the public sector earn less than in the private sector. This sounds like some sort of middle management job which according to my guestimation would max pay 55k in the private sector and there you would have to do alot of unpaid overtime as well since you are on a set salary and not on an hourly wage.

thats because most countries didnt have betie ( the gift that kept on giving to unions ) aherne as leader

• Advertisement

Nermal wrote: »
    An appropriate rate is the minimum necessary to get a qualified applicant ...

Given the demands that I expect the job might entail, it might well be that the pay is indeed the minimum necessary to attract qualified and suitable applicants.
    Amhran Nua wrote: »
    If you start paying people big money for jobs based on criteria like that you attract people who are only in it for the money, and have no vocational calling other than a comfortable lifestyle...

Vocational calling? Do you mean that people should do the work out of the goodness of their hearts, and be grateful for any little bit of pay they get?

Advertisement