Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Psycho Neighbour from Hell

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭amacca

If we try to get rid of him, he can launch a complaint with the PRTB which could take anything up to three months to get to arbritration. PRTB advised us off the record to just leave him there.

He owes several thousand and the PRTB said they dont have the resources to chase him for the money yet if we put one foot wrong, the PRTB can fine up to €20k

The above just says it all...f#cking sickening OP. I sympathize entirely with your situation if it is described accurately.

That is as ridiculous as being liable for injury to people that break into your home.

talk about priorities, stuff like this makes me think there should be a revolution, it should not be televised and we should have a nice big wall to put people up against.

I cant suggest anything but I don't think Id be capable of showing the same restraint you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Hang on ... so if the tenant is not paying and refuses to pay, they can just stay in the house rent free until the lease is up?! How does that make any sense?

tinkerbell wrote: »
    Hang on ... so if the tenant is not paying and refuses to pay, they can just stay in the house rent free until the lease is up?! How does that make any sense?

I have constructed a virtual bucket for you to get sick in below...

[.............]
    [.............]
    [.............]
    [.............]
    [.............]
    [.............]

welcome to our wonderfully unjust country. It may not be legally the case but it seems to be effectively the case, the PRTB seem to have taken authority over something they are proving incapable of managing efficiently. If someone behaves as this tenant seemingly has there should be an efficient speedy means of removing them from the property and making them pay up.

If the guy is truly a nutter then he needs help not a license to continue in the same vein.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,385 ✭✭✭✭Victor

OP, harassing the tenant is unacceptable. The rest of you - advocating harassment and illegal evictions are not acceptable.
    kearnsr wrote: »
    Cant your sister move back in and get rid of him that way?
    DO0GLE wrote: »
    Not 100% sure but I think putting the house up on the market for sale is enough reason to have him removed
    Its a one year lease.
    tinkerbell wrote: »
    There is an accelereated procedure for eviction in the case of non-payment of rent.

The correct way to resolve the situation is for either the tenant to pay up of the landlord to commence a legal eviction.

Victor wrote: »
    There is an accelereated procedure for eviction in the case of non-payment of rent.

The correct way to resolve the situation is for either the tenant to pay up of the landlord to commence a legal eviction.

Out of curiosity, how accelerated is it? would genuinely like to know how long you have to wait before you can legally evict someone who is not paying their rent.

Is it subject to any delay because of a backlog of cases? If it is I am of the opinion the PRTB are not fulfilling their role properly.

If it is delayed can the landlord get compensation from the PRTB for the lost rental income during the delay? If the PRTB cant fulfill their role in a timely fashion then I am of the opinion they should make up the shortfall.

Could be wrong but the system seems to be unfairly weighted in favour of the misbehaving tenant to me.

• Advertisement

I think 14 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

I have heard of this scam before Micheal Keaton was in the film set in Frisco,
    I would personally take the Fxxcker by scruff off his neck throw him out in these times money is very tight and that guy is stealing your sisters

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Hootanany wrote: »
    I have heard of this scam before Micheal Keaton was in the film set in Frisco,
    I would personally take the Fxxcker by scruff off his neck throw him out in these times money is very tight and that guy is stealing your sisters

Thats all well and good.
    Unfortunately- there is legal precedent in favour of the tenant. It used to be that the law was unfavourably biased in favour of landlords- unfortunately instead of finding a happy equilibrium- its now firmly in favour of tenants. Something has to give......

smccarrick wrote: »
    Thats all well and good.
    Unfortunately- there is legal precedent in favour of the tenant. It used to be that the law was unfavourably biased in favour of landlords- unfortunately instead of finding a happy equilibrium- its now firmly in favour of tenants. Something has to give......

Too true. I wonder why they find it so hard to achieve a balance.

Surely a couple of dyslexic monkeys with a faulty typewriter and expensive coke habits could have come up with something better than what we currently have?

What disconnected or perverse/self interested group of people sits down, draws up this legislation like this and gets it so ridiculously wrong. It generates lots of conflict and work for solicitors/lawyers. Actually using logic and decency to achieve a happy equilibrium is not good for business it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Sounds like the guy could be mentally ill. OP, surely you have a next of kin for this guy that you can get in touch with? He may have done this before..

• Advertisement

Hootanany wrote: »
    stealing your sisters
    ???

Relax. Advocating an illegal eviction is not acceptable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭~me~

???

Relax. Advocating an illegal eviction is not acceptable.

i think he meant that the guy was stealing the OPs sisters money (he said moneys very tight and hes stealing hers).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Yeah i meant by not paying rent he is stealing money from your sister she still has to service the loan or mortgage on the property while he lives rent free

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Gonzales

???

:rolleyes: Blatantly obvious if you read the post with context in mind.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Gonzales wrote: »
    :rolleyes: Blatantly obvious if you read the post with context in mind.

Regardless of how obvious you consider something to be- you will be courteous towards fellow posters, or you will have a holiday from posting in this forum.

Regards,

SMcCarrick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭HarryD

If heating is gas/oil, remove a component from the boiler (next time he's out) so the heating will not work.
    He won't last long come winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Gonzales

smccarrick wrote: »
    Regardless of how obvious you consider something to be- you will be courteous towards fellow posters, or you will have a holiday from posting in this forum.

Regards,

SMcCarrick

I was in that post & will continue to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Can you not push for 7 day eviction in case of unsocial and dangerous activity?

Advertisement