Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baguette Recipe?

Options
  • 29-09-2009 4:44pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Is there a specific mix for this? Have a breadmaker etc and also make my own pizza dough BUT, there must be something different that goes into a Baguette recipe? Saw one recipe with 1 quarter cake flour?
    Ideas?
    Cheers.

For example, the small baguettes you buy in Spar and the likes is what I'm trying to reproduce.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

The recipe for 'french sticks' that I have with my breadmaker is:

Half tsp yeast
    250g strong white flour
    15g butter
    half tsp salt
    270ml water
    It takes 3h 35min in the breadmaker for the dough - as with the French bread setting (it takes 6h), I think this is how it comes out so light and fluffy.

When it's ready you shape it into baguettes and leave it to prove, then bake at 220C gas mark 7 for 10-15 minutes until golden.
    Depending on what finish you want, you either brush them with beaten egg, salted water or oil.

I haven't tried them myself yet.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Have used that recipe, they come out too doughy.
    Apparently, I have to get T55 flour, a special type, less protein that plain white. Some recipes advocate using one third cake flour.
    Will try Fallon & Byrnes actually. If anyone has it they do.
    Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

For an authentic recipe, there's detailed instructions plus video lesson here. The only essential thing you'll need is a baking or pizza stone, or some terracotta tiles to bake it on, as it's important to achieve the right crust. In the eastern european shops in Dublin you can get type 550 flour, usually with a picture of a crescent roll on it, which is the same as french type 55.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Planet X wrote: »
    Have used that recipe, they come out too doughy.
    Apparently, I have to get T55 flour, a special type, less protein that plain white. Some recipes advocate using one third cake flour.
    Will try Fallon & Byrnes actually. If anyone has it they do.
    Cheers.

I'd love to hear how you get on. It all seems a bit complicated just for some baguettes though. If you find it's worth it I'll give it a try.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

I'd love to hear how you get on. It all seems a bit complicated just for some baguettes though. If you find it's worth it I'll give it a try.

Yeah, but the dough from the breadmaker and the dough I handmake, the rolls come out 'too doughy". Needs this T55 lighter flour.
    Has to be done ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

I know this thread is a little stale but I have found T55 flour (protein 9.5%) in some of the North African shops (International Market) in Camden Street at €1.95 a Kg. Pretty good value for now.

Across the road, The Ladybird (Polish Food Shop) is selling a a soft flour for bread (Protein 9.1%) for 99c a kg. Might be worth a gamble.

Bon Appetit.

Advertisement