Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Constitutionally Challenged ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

We were discussing the possible consequences of a yes vote, when hatrickpatrick launched into histrionics at this attack on his right to vote no, and remain within the Union.

The implication I always read from this type of argument is "If you want to vote no, why don't you just vote yes and propose we leave the EU? It's easier to leave if we vote yes". It's no strawman. Take a quick look around on boards and in this thread and you will see this being implied. Now I am indeed sorry if I interpreted it wrong, but I really am sick of seeing this (a different kind of strawman) being posted "No voters = people who want to leave the EU and should therefore vote yes so we can". I am utterly opposed to this political treaty and utterly in favour of the EU as an economic union and common market. So are most undecided or no voters I know of. So next time you see someone advocating a no vote, don't automatically think "someone who wants Ireland to leave the EU?". It's a massive, massive insult.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

The implication I always read from this type of argument is "If you want to vote no, why don't you just vote yes and propose we leave the EU? It's easier to leave if we vote yes". It's no strawman. Take a quick look around on boards and in this thread and you will see this being implied. Now I am indeed sorry if I interpreted it wrong, but I really am sick of seeing this (a different kind of strawman) being posted "No voters = people who want to leave the EU and should therefore vote yes so we can". I am utterly opposed to this political treaty and utterly in favour of the EU as an economic union and common market. So are most undecided or no voters I know of. So next time you see someone advocating a no vote, don't automatically think "someone who wants Ireland to leave the EU?". It's a massive, massive insult.

Well, once again, that wasn't what we were talking about.

However.

Lie down with dogs...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

I have seen that said a couple of times at the most in this forum, always clearly aimied at posters who without any doubt anti-EU. But that is not what we are talking about here.

Incidendly the organisation you want us to be a part of (the EC) of hasn't existed since about 1993.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

Well I am glad that has been cleared up for me...............:confused:

I am very pro European but anti Lisbon,I suspect the larger nations will use it to push themselves on at our expense such as Poland poaching Dell from us with multimillion bribes of our own money(thats my opinion anyway).

I think that access to our fishing rights has more than paid for any money we got for our roads or farming, its just that our own inept politicians,of all ilks, didnt get to squander it all before it did some good.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Ronin247 wrote: »
    I am very pro European but anti Lisbon...
    Why?
    I think that access to our fishing rights has more than paid for any money we got for our roads or farming...
    Not by a country mile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Im not anti EU.

I lived all over it.

Being against one of their proposals does not make you anti eu.

Thats like saying being anti NAMA is being anti Ireland.

Schoolyard logic.

And yet I can't figure out why you're voting No.

Advertisement