Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another pricing thread

Options
  • 29-09-2009 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭

Hi guys.Im in the middle of the planning process for a house of the northwest, its looks like things are going to run fairly smooth so i am starting to look ahead to the pricing side of things.here are a few details of the housh.2900sq/ft,storey and a half,holocore. my plan is the get the shell of the house bulit to the point where the house is closed up buy leave it bare inside and finish the inside my self (electricians,plumbers and chipps in our family). any idea what sort of money a bulider would charge to bring the house to this stage?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,644 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

bonzos wrote: »
    Hi guys.Im in the middle of the planning process for a house of the northwest, its looks like things are going to run fairly smooth so i am starting to look ahead to the pricing side of things.here are a few details of the housh.2900sq/ft,storey and a half,holocore. my plan is the get the shell of the house bulit to the point where the house is closed up buy leave it bare inside and finish the inside my self (electricians,plumbers and chipps in our family). any idea what sort of money a bulider would charge to bring the house to this stage?

why not simply organise the build as normal with you family members as subcontractors... and bring the build along as standard???

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭bonzos

Most of my family members dont have much interest in taking on a house from start to finish by direct labour from me due to there own work issues. I also feel that i could manage the internal work on the house much better than just starting with a untouch site from day one.I also may be in a position where in would suit me financially to slow the work down and complete at my own pace at this stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Timnice

Hi Bonzos,
    I have a different angle on your situation.
    We have seen a house we are interested in. Its in the final phase of an estate and the finish the builder supplies is pretty good to be fair but I'd like it to better. I am currently considering talking to him about selling me a shell (he is 2 yrs+ trying to sell these and down to the last 4). I have a few friends in the trades that could help me out and the way I see it I get the layout (the 1st flr is where improvements can be made) & the finish I want throughout.
    Does anyone out there have experience of buying a shell to finish?
    Do builders actually realise any decent profit from the finish or is that just a part of build they factor in as a non profit cost?
    Also is it something a builder might go for if trying to finish an estate and sell the last units or would it jepodise his contractual finish dates with council handover etc?
    Thanks in advance.

Tim

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭bonzos

Just out of interest what size(area) is the house?let us know how you get on

Advertisement