Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Office work and back problems

Options
  • 29-09-2009 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Someone may be able to help me with this, have recently been diagnosed with arthritis in my lower back, now I've working in an office for the past 3 years so basically spend 8 hours a day sitting down, not possible anymore as I need to be able to have a bit more mobility as sitting in one place for hours is doing me more damage, the doc recommends I stretch and try move around for a few mins every hour, nothing major just to keep my back from seizing up and increasing the risk of my spine being damaged even more, so is there a law where people who work at a desk have to be allowed to stand or get away from their desk for a certain period of time during the day?

obviously I have my lunch break but thats split over a 15 and 30 minute period during the day, its a call centre too and we're strictly monited and need to be on calls constantly so I cant just get up and wander off whenever I feel like it to stretch my back , we do get allocated "personal time" during the day but theres no fixed amount, say you take 5 or 10 minutes throughout the work day to make a personal call or make tea or something thats fine but if you do that 10 times a day they'll be asking questions about why you keep going off the queue, quitting isnt really an option with money the way it is at the moment and I cant take a job where I'm standing all day either, the office environment works ok just need to know if I have a leg to stand on where its doctors advice to be able to get up and walk around a few times a day

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Do you work at a computer workstation i.e. is there a screen and keyboard on your desk?

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭miec

Hi Op

Is there anyway you can stretch your back at your desk, say for instance in between calls, or if neccessary whilst on a call, stand up, hold the desk and stretch your spine a little throughout the day.

op here, yeah I work at a station, pc, phone system and all that jazz, work is constantly busy, as in theres zero time between one call ending and another beginning so unless I stay in after call and do it which reduces my productivity which leads to "chats" and the like

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Sinall

You could ask for a wireless headset, so that it is possible for you to stand up and walk away from the desk and walk around a bit whilst still on calls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭GER12

Ask the employer for a risk and ergonomic assessment of your workstation - its Heath & Safety.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Buffman

You should look into getting a back support, they can make a big difference in comfort, and allow you sit for longer periods.
    Something like this:
    back_eze.jpg

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭chocgirl

Not aware of any laws but this is a big problem for a lot of people working in an office environment. A lot of people use walking to the photocopier etc as an excuse to get up. You can do stretches sitting though by tilting your pelvis back and forth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭GER12

Its the Health, Safety and Welfare at Work Act 2005 and General Application Regulations 1993. It also comes under EU law that an employer must conduct a risk assessment identifying all hazards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭kittensoft1984

I had back problems in the past while working at a desk in a similiar position. I used a wireless headset and stood up between calls...

"Its the Health, Safety and Welfare at Work Act 2005 and General Application Regulations 1993. It also comes under EU law that an employer must conduct a risk assessment identifying all hazards." Ger is absolutely correct with that.
    Also, you have been diagnosed by arthiritis (Can't spell that!) in your lower back. Under the 1998 and 2004 Employment Equality Acts, there is a comprehensive definition for the term "Disability", which I believe you have. Under this act, your employer MUST provide you with "Reasonable Accommodation" with your disability. "Reasonable Accommodation would be provisions such as providing you with a proper chair for your back, allowing you to stretch during the day, or the sharing of your tasks. An employer MUST do this, otherwise your employer will be in breach of this act, and you would have a case for Disability Discrimination. Submit everything in writing.
    This should solve your problem!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Start here.....

http://www.hsa.ie/eng/FAQs/Display_Screen_Equipment/

Breaks
    How often should I take a break from working at a VDU?

Employers must plan work so that daily work at VDUs is interrupted periodically by breaks or changes in activity which reduce the work at the screen. Although the Regulations set no frequency for breaks, no single continuous period of work at a screen should, in general, exceed one hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I once worked with a guy (in a call-centre) who had his desk adjusted so he could stand for callls!

There is a solution for you, talk to your manager.

Advertisement