Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

West Highland Stolen, from Claregalway

Options
  • 29-09-2009 5:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Stolen this morning from Lydacan, Claregalway,

West Highland dog, answers to the name of Scruffy!

If anyone hears of of one for sale, or if anyone is visiting Ballinasloe Fair at the weekend, can you let me know!

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Scruffy123

Good news!

Gardai got involved, went to a few known areas of Galway, spoke to a few known families in Galway, and beloved dog, dropped off at the house at 4.30 am! Happy household this morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭bookerboy

Glad you got her back.

That was just mean. Stealing a car is one thing, and a bike, but a dog is just being a cnt!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

I agree, cars are fairly detached from us emotionally (well not for some people) and after all can be replaced easily enough, but a dog can be like a member of the family. Having that stolen is down right sh!tty.
    Great to hear a good end to a bad story!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭dmy1001

I am amazed that you got Scruffy back!! Fair play to Gardai.....but Scruffy is delighted to be home too:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭DD67

I am surprised the " know family" did`nt ask for a reward on returning your dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Wow, fair play gardai!

And will the thieves be charged with theft?

(I'm terrified someone is going to steal my baby - I honestly don't know what I would do. :()

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 MrBill

Scruffy123 wrote: »
    Good news!

Gardai got involved, went to a few known areas of Galway, spoke to a few known families in Galway, and beloved dog, dropped off at the house at 4.30 am! Happy household this morning!

Are these them feckers that keep an eye out for lost dogs?

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Rylan

Delighted you got Scruffy back. Don't know what I would do if my baby dog went missing. I would be inconsolable. Any chance of a pm on who you contacted in the Gardai. Just in case. :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

That bloody horse fair! I've even heard of someone's dog being robbed as it ran ahead during a walk.

I'm still not talking to my aunt after she told me she was going to get a Westie in the horse fair last year and I gave out stink to her for it. She didn't do it though as she's tight as a duck's arse and got a free mutt instead who she sends up to my uncle's to eat his dog's food.

Just a warning to all dog owners to be extra vigilant in the lead up to the horse fair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Das Kitty wrote: »
    That bloody horse fair! I've even heard of someone's dog being robbed as it ran ahead during a walk.

:eek:

And people give out to me for not letting him off the lead (seriously :rolleyes:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

It's actually ridiculous the amount of pedigree dogs that get stolen. It's yet another god reason to get your dog neutered as they won't be as attractive a target then.

In fairness to the Guards though, they are pretty wise to it and and wise to who usually does it, so there seems to be a pretty higyh rate of return if you contact them immediately about it.

Great news about your Westie tho OP:)

Thanks, for all the good wishes, Scruffy will be treated today! Keep calling for her, if she's out of my sight! She was stolen out of the front garden, and I even had my front door open, and was inside!

Gardai were spot on, on where she was, and if I ever hear of anyone giving out about the gardai, I'll give them one!

As for the yolks that took her! Heartless bas***ds!

But all's well that ends well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 MrBill

wouldn't be all this bother if they would just take their stupid horses and get the feck on out of here.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

This is now very common & it's not always the usual suspects. Many dogs end up at the puppy farms & the puppies end up in apparently respectable houses. Because people won't buy from a puppy farm the litters are moved to "family homes" so you see nice puppies with a nice family & have no real idea of their origin. Often the "mother" that is with the pups did not give birth to them & the "Papers" are usually fake.

I would advise anyone with a dog to attach a prominent white disk - you can get them from vets etc. Get it printed with: "This dog is Microchipped & Neutered" together with name, address & especially your phone number. The neutered bit might put off the puppy farm crowd.

If ever you are approached & asked about your dog by anyone "suspicious" it can be a good idea to mention that it has a "serious heart problem". This is especially true for us Sighthound owners who get approached a lot !.

Discodog wrote: »
    This is now very common & it's not always the usual suspects. Many dogs end up at the puppy farms & the puppies end up in apparently respectable houses. Because people won't buy from a puppy farm the litters are moved to "family homes" so you see nice puppies with a nice family & have no real idea of their origin. Often the "mother" that is with the pups did not give birth to them & the "Papers" are usually fake.

I would advise anyone with a dog to attach a prominent white disk - you can get them from vets etc. Get it printed with: "This dog is Microchipped & Neutered" together with name, address & especially your phone number. The neutered bit might put off the puppy farm crowd.

If ever you are approached & asked about your dog by anyone "suspicious" it can be a good idea to mention that it has a "serious heart problem". This is especially true for us Sighthound owners who get approached a lot !.

My god, Discodog!

Can't believe that I never thought of any of those points. I thought I was clued in, but obviously I wasn't! I go for a walk every morning with her to renville Park, and the amount of people that come up and approach you about your dog is amazing. That said, I've always feel that people that walk there with their dogs in the park, are dog lovers.

I think the point you made about the 'nice' family is a real wake up call!

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

I had a West Highland Terrier stolen from my garden 6 years ago. I rang cops and GBFM. Someone rang me after hearing my number on GBFM and said that they saw a van pull up near my house with lad looking suspicious.

I put ad in Advertiser and got a call from man, who lives in a caravan, who found my dog. I gave the <un+ the reward that I advertised and was just happy to get the dog back.

I stuck a match in his valve a few weeks later to let the air out of his tyre on his van.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

ErnieBert wrote: »
    I stuck a match in his valve a few weeks later to let the air out of his tyre on his van.

At first glance, I thought you were referring to neutering the dog...thought that's an odd way to do it :eek:
    ..then my brain kicked in and finished the sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

He was lucky that it was you & not me. I might of used the match to burn his house or caravan down with !

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Dog lost and found, case and thread closed.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement