Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SPAM from Micheal Martin

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Considering it alright, since I don't like the idea of them bending/breaking rule, but I'll wait and see if they email me again (the above was the second unrequested/unsolicited email from them, with the first being on Sept 4th with a subject of "Your Vote".

Maybe ectoraige is correct and they're exempt from the rules (wouldn't surprise me) in the same way as they are apparently "entitled" to use the electoral register to send you both official and relevant info regardling an election (acceptable) as well as PR and the moneywasting "vote for me - I'm brilliant even though you've never heard of me" rubbish....

I'm afraid ectoraige is right - political parties have an exemption. That means that Fianna Fáil can buy any list they like and fire off emails to it.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Maybe ectoraige is correct and they're exempt from the rules (wouldn't surprise me) in the same way as they are apparently "entitled" to use the electoral register to send you both official and relevant info regardling an election (acceptable) as well as PR and the moneywasting "vote for me - I'm brilliant even though you've never heard of me" rubbish....

The law differs from country to country.
    In Ireland, the rule is usually B2C is opt in and B2B is opt out.
    Ireland (legally) tends to stick more to EU law (although practice doesn't always follow law as you well know), but some countries such as Netherland for example recently changed their law in June and follow different legislation.
    Mailing countries are not obliged to inform the customer of the legal changes afaik, that is the client responsibility.
    All countries legally need to provide an opt out ability.

If they really did just buy a prospect mailing list, I can't emphasise enough how stupid they are in the current political and economic climate - everyone will be junking their emails which will lead to a blacklisting of their service.

After you received the 1st email, did you specifically opt out of receiving further communication?

With regard to the exemption, I'm not positive about that, I've consulted with somebody else (there are various loopholes i.e. is it government or is it all political parties etc.)

http://www.dataprotection.ie/viewdoc.asp?DocID=907
    See Question 3.

I was told with regard to this specific case, the best thing to do is to ring [FONT=&quot]057 868 4800 and ask a specific question.
    [/FONT]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Dannyboy83 wrote: »
    After you received the 1st email, did you specifically opt out of receiving further communication?

No. Like I said, I shouldn't have to. I didn't ask for the first one either, and (as far as I was aware) Irish law is opt-on, not opt-out.

Scofflaw appears to have it sussed, if they have "exemptions" (similar to the law on expenses, where you and I have to justify them and provide receipts while they can just do whatever they like).

And if so, then unfortunately they've broken no law; they're just being idiotic and deluded.

Nothing new there then.

P.S. Probably no point ringing them to ask them where the hell they got it; a Freedom of Information Request costs a fortune!

Well, you know how these things work anyway, the ESB completely misspelled my name in a laughable way last year when I started a new contract after moving house, then about a week later I received a letter from the TV License crowd with my name misspelled in the same laughable way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

the sender can't actually track who you forward a mail to if you receive it in your inbox can they? which this article on bsd seems to be suggesting http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2009/jan/26/bnp-griffin-obama-election-bsd

Searchlight, has sent thousands of emails asking each recipients to forward it to five friends and make a small donation. The software means campaigners can then track who opens the emails, where they are sent and what happens when they arrive at the other end - tailoring future emails to groups and individuals

are-blue-state-digital-tracking-ngo-campaign-emails although i think barackobama.com has it own email system

-

either people are presuming out of good netiquette that if you don't sign up to mailing list you won't get put on one, and why would a reputable org like ff do that?, or don't realise that forwarding the email from within the site will sign up those people too.

wrote about at the time on p.ie
    http://www.politics.ie/fianna-fail/48663-fianna-fail-new-website-2.html#post1463558

theres is an unsubscribe option of the bottom of each mail
    To unsubscribe, go to:
    http://fiannafail.ie/unsubscribe

what worse is when you have to become a 'fan' or 'member' of astroturf orgs like genyes in order to follow what theyre up to and they quote those numbers as some sort of endorsement

Advertisement