Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Think I damaged my Power Supply.

• 29-09-2009 5:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭

Case was getting a bit dusty, so I opened it up and cleaned out the dust as best i could. Finished, plugged everything back in again, rebooted fine.
    Playing a game on Steam for about half an hour and the whole PC just powers down.
    Reboot, opened up Firefox, logged into boards, powers down again.
    Try to power on, powers down about 10 seconds into startup. Happens twice.

Turn off, unplug, leave for 20 mins, power on again fine, and here i am typing this thread.

I'm assuming I ****ed up the power supply somehow, because the random power downs seem like a similar problem I had before, then i returned it to Komplett and they put in a new PS.

Could it be something as simple as whatever connecting wires run into the PS are loose or not fully plugged in?

Or does it basically sound like I need a new PSU? I'm not very techy btw, which was likely the cause of the problem :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

Check all your power connections is the first step.Post back if that doesn't work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭giggsirish

lafortezza wrote: »
    Case was getting a bit dusty, so I opened it up and cleaned out the dust as best i could. Finished, plugged everything back in again, rebooted fine.
    Playing a game on Steam for about half an hour and the whole PC just powers down.
    Reboot, opened up Firefox, logged into boards, powers down again.
    Try to power on, powers down about 10 seconds into startup. Happens twice.

Turn off, unplug, leave for 20 mins, power on again fine, and here i am typing this thread.

I'm assuming I ****ed up the power supply somehow, because the random power downs seem like a similar problem I had before, then i returned it to Komplett and they put in a new PS.

Could it be something as simple as whatever connecting wires run into the PS are loose or not fully plugged in?

Or does it basically sound like I need a new PSU? I'm not very techy btw, which was likely the cause of the problem :)

Given the varied time it takes for it to power off and that you had the case open sounds like its overheating. The powering down is its saftey net. Does the fan on top of the CPU power up? If not there is your problem. Will prob find a 2 pin conector loose somewhere leading from the fan. Have a look.

Advertisement