Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best First Marathon

Options
  • 29-09-2009 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

I'm half considering doing a Marathon in the next 12 months. A few friends are at me to do the DCM next week, and while I could probably crawl the last mile and make it, that's not how I want my first Marathon (and last in that case) experience to be.

So my question then becomes if I'm planning on doing one, which one should I do...

Anybody have any recomendations of ones that are:

In Europe,
    Flat (couldn't handle a super hilly one),
    easy (or as easy as 26miles can be),
    friendly toward first time marathon runners,
    Good Craic :)

Is there anything else people look out for when picking them?

Lastly does anyone know anything about the Marathon du Cognac 2009 in Jarnac, France other than what's on active Europe about it

http://www.activeeurope.com/Events/index.cfm?AC=EventDetails_V2&E=78790

Thanks,
    A.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

I'm in the same boat as you. Another factor to consider is whether the Marathon has pacemakers. Running to the same pace as a pacemaker can make life much easier as it will save you having to judge the pace yourself and consequently run the risk of going out too fast and blowing up in the last 6 miles.

Rotterdam looks like the best one from my research.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 johnjoe86

The dublin city marathon is a good'un, and after all that training, have a good night afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭aodhu

Interesting according to runnersworld.co.uk the top ten list is as follows:

1. London Marathon

2. Berlin Marathon

3= New York City Marathon

3= Chicago Marathon

5. Boston Marathon

6. Stockholm Marathon

7. Rotterdam Marathon

8. Paris Marathon

9. Honolulu Marathon

10. Amsterdam Marathon

(taken from http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/news/article.asp?uan=559 )

Thanks 04072511 will look into Rotterdam time frame looks good...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

1. London Marathon

Will cost a fortune to enter through a sport tour company. You can get "golden bond" places for charity which entail raising £2000+ to get "free" entry. I've also heard horror stories about congestion from recreational runners. IMO may be better left until you qualify through the GFA system. Don't forget that RW is a UK publication which would explain why London ranks so highly.

2. Berlin Marathon

One of the greats. Fantastic support, good city, flat course. Expo is crazy and number pick up not that well organised but everything else is spot on. It's in Sept but every marathon runner should do Berlin.

3= New York City Marathon

Kind of like London, from what I hear but no direct experience.

3= Chicago Marathon

No experience of this

5. Boston Marathon

The holy grail but one you should really qualify for, which is signifigantly easier than London or NYC

6. Stockholm Marathon

No experience of this

7. Rotterdam Marathon

Probably the best marathon in the world, certainly the best I have run. April so usually good running conditions, flat course, good support and quite simply the best organised run I have ever come across. Everything from number collection to the start pens to the course and refreshments to the finishing chute, T-shirt and free video & photos is simply outstanding. Another "must do" race.

8. Paris Marathon

Great course, flat and covers the tourist attractions - running along teh Seine with teh Eiffel Tower on the other bank is great, as is the start down teh Champs Elysées and teh finish under the Arc. Narrow course at times though and I found it heavily congested and with very sparse support. Great refreshment stands (cheese, cider, beer, red wine!) but more of an Event marathon than a race or one to do for a PB

9. Honolulu Marathon

! One day...

10. Amsterdam Marathon

Tell you in 3 weeks ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I know it's not flat or easy, but Connemara is a great marathon for your first. You get great support from the other runners (particularly when you met the half marathon runners), it's incredibly scenic, and if you stay in Clifden it's very lively afterwards.

I'm not sure that I'd recommend Berlin for a first timer, as you will likely be a mid-pack runner, and you might find the congestion frustrating/off-putting. However, the crowds do really come out for this race (1M+) and there's a great atmosphere. A Currywurst and a beer under the Brandenburg gate afterwards, is a great way to wind down.

Dublin marathon on a sunny day is not to be underrated. The crowds really came out last year, and made this a fantastic event. Don't know what it would be like on a cold wet October day though!

I can only comment on Edinburgh from the side-lines, but it looked to be agreat race (apart from the May heat-wave). Would likely be one of the easier races if they weather played ball.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭ekevosu

I read somewhere that you should try and do your first marathon close to home so that it takes away a lot of the hassle, trying to find the place to register, finding proper breakfast on the morning of the race, getting a good nights sleep in your own bed, transportation etc.

Maybe just something to consider although I do find the idea od doing a foreign marathon vey appealing and might add to your enjoyment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

1. London Marathon

Will cost a fortune to enter through a sport tour company. You can get "golden bond" places for charity which entail raising £2000+ to get "free" entry. I've also heard horror stories about congestion from recreational runners. IMO may be better left until you qualify through the GFA system. Don't forget that RW is a UK publication which would explain why London ranks so highly.

I thought the GFA system was only open to UK entrants?

5. Boston Marathon

The holy grail but one you should really qualify for, which is significantly easier than London or NYC

But then the marathon course itself is a tough one ... Also, keep in mind that the OP asked for good first time marathons, which means that Boston is out if you want to qualify for it. And the last time I checked the NYC qualification criteria the half-marathon qualifying times were significantly easier then the full ones (i.e. I got the half but nowhere near the full one)

As for flat marathon courses, Berlin if you want to go abroad, Belfast or Longford if you want to stay in Ireland. Having said that, while there are hills in Dublin or Cork, they are not that significant. They won't make the difference between you being able to finish or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

I Belfast or Longford if you want to stay in Ireland. .
    belfast is ok, easy to plan and not too much involved in getting there. But the only issue i'd have would be the second half is not very well supported , long stretches along motorway, so it can be hard. Course isnt too hard some small hills from 7-13 miles but nothing major

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

You're right on teh GFA thing for London you do need a UK address to access it. I hadn't realised that the NYC half qualifying times were "soft", I must have a look at that :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

You're right on teh GFA thing for London you do need a UK address to access it. I hadn't realised that the NYC half qualifying times were "soft", I must have a look at that :)
    I don't think thats true for London i know people who have made the GFA , I do think there is a different cut of for GFA overseas, Peckham can confirm as i think he got in with the dublin time from last year.?

• Advertisement

We're getting off-topic, but is the GFA for NY valid for overseas entrants too?
    I'm still holding out for the third refusal, though a 1:23 half is within the realms of possibility at some stage.
    It drops to 3:10/1:30 for me in two years time, which is a lot more achievable.

http://dailyrunningtips.com/marathon-running/qualfying-times-for-new-york-marathon/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Looks like Rotterdam for me next after my first in Dublin next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,628 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Can i ask when belfast, longford and connemara are on? Or any others in ireland?
    Im in a sad situation where ive done the half, felt quite comfortable at the end, and suddenly very eager to do a full marathon - but have holidays booked for the end of october.
    Im really raging, dammit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Can i ask when belfast, longford and connemara are on? Or any others in ireland?
    Im in a sad situation where ive done the half, felt quite comfortable at the end, and suddenly very eager to do a full marathon - but have holidays booked for the end of october.
    Im really raging, dammit.

Irish road marathons, if I remember correctly:

Connemara: April
    Belfast: May
    Newry: May
    Cork: June
    Longford: August
    Dingle: September
    Donegal Mooathon: September
    Dublin: October

• Registered Users Posts: 19,628 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

So the next one is april, eh? Cool, thanks a million.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭TJC

There's also a marathon in Barcelona on Mar 10th.
    I'm thinking of maybe doing this after getting tru the half mar last wkend.
    Dont know much about it, but appears to be a fairly flat course acc to site.
    Mite be a decent one to do, but heat may be a factor if too warm at that stage of year..
    Anyone ever done this???

Rotterdam seems like an excellent marathon too.. apr 11th, so imagine temperature would be perfect..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭rigal

I can only comment on Edinburgh from the side-lines, but it looked to be agreat race (apart from the May heat-wave). Would likely be one of the easier races if they weather played ball.

+1, ran Edinburgh as my first marathon this year amd found it great. It's on every May, has a flat course (downhill start) and very well organised. Good city for a weekend break as well and won't blow the budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭scaryfairy

Hi

ok I may be a bit biased but could definitely recommend Budapest as a first: flat, not too crowded but still plenty of people so that you can pace yourself, beautiful city, nice spa after the race. good food. locals supposed to be friendly. Its usually at the end of September.
    Review by runnersworld:
    http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/news/article.asp?uan=4039

site: http://www.budapestmarathon.com/

I am also thinking of Munich... heard Vienna is nice, too..

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭RJC

Cologne,

Early October -

flat
    huge support (you'll never listen to samba the same way) The locals all come out and sit on deck chairs to cheer you on and they bring out pots and wooden spoons to make more noise. Lots of locals do their own aid stations.
    they run a roller blade marathon, a half marathon, a school relay marathon, a wheel chair marathon, a fancy dress competition for marathoners, a nordic walking marathon and an ultra marathon all at the same time.
    Corralled starting for different race times so no stampede like in Dublin (about 8 corrals).
    There are 8 aid stations with water, flat coke, iced tea, energy drink, bananas, glucose tablets and more.

The finishing area is almost obscenely over supplied:
    water, coffee, energy drinks, mars bars, bananas, sausage, chocolate, iced tea, bread, beer.

The clincher: They play the Rocky theme tune as you run over the start.

You can fly direct from Dublin to Düsseldorf and catch a train directly to the marathon expo.

They get about 10,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

Of course it depends on what you want from your first marathon. Dublin was my "first time" and it was perfect for me. Loads of support. I wasn't that experienced at the time and the support made a huge difference so I would be inclined to suggest a big city marathon for a first timer. Dublin would be my Irish choice, Berlin my european one and Marine Corps for worldwide.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

I know it's not flat or easy, but Connemara is a great marathon for your first.

Glad to hear this as I've picked Connemara as my first full marathon.

Getting a bit worried about all this talk of it not being flat or easy, and also that Hell of the West, seems like a real ball breaker - but I reckon I gonna have to just HTFU and get on with it right??

Yes, just HTFU. :)
    Also include some hills on your long runs. This'll help you HTFU.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭RICHIE-RICH

Of course it depends on what you want from your first marathon. Dublin was my "first time" and it was perfect for me. Loads of support. I wasn't that experienced at the time and the support made a huge difference so I would be inclined to suggest a big city marathon for a first timer. Dublin would be my Irish choice, Berlin my european one and Marine Corps for worldwide.

Why Marine Corps ?

Have you done it?

What makes it a good first timers marathon?

Just curious like

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭aodhu

Thanks guys,
    Some good responses there, especially liked RJC description of Cologne.

to answer hunnymonster I guess, I just want on that I'll be able finish and enjoy, not looking for bragging rights, as I expect my time wont justify any of those ;)

I'm fairly comfortable around the 10 - 14 miles at the moment so think I should be good for April, thinking of Rotterdam or maybe Brighton, which is having it's first one in April too....

Keep the suggestions coming.
    A.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

Why Marine Corps ?

Have you done it?

What makes it a good first timers marathon?

Just curious like

Quite flat, big city US marathon (and all the razz-ma-tazz which that implies) and most importantly, it runs past pretty much all the big sights of the city en route. Fantastic way to see Washington. My uncle has run hundreds and hundreds of marathons reckons that this is his favourite marathon for a newbie.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Reaganomical

Why Marine Corps ?

Have a look at the course map. Looks pretty class

http://www.marinemarathon.com/Assets/PDF/09+Illustrated+Course+Map.pdf

Advertisement