Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

34,000 public servants want 3.5% pay rise

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

optocynic wrote: »
    This I agree with!
    Garrett Fitzgerald was a towering intellect in the Dail...
    Now you can count the smart guys on one hand!

The rest are populist agenda spounting morons... voted for by an out of touch public...
    Just look at the support 'The Bull O'Donoghue' is getting from Kerry.. "sure, it's just the mean Jackeen meeja pickin' on the Bull"..

Unfortunatley.. stupid people are allowed to vote too..:D
    (That was a joke... before the Stasi arrive!!!)

kerry people like the crooked and the stroke pulling , i would put them only behind people from monaghan in this regard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

jimmmy wrote: »
    Not only that, but much of the 400 million a week our government is borrowing comes from China. Its where America and most of the other western countries owe vast amounts of money to.( as well as Germany, the oil producing nations + Japan ). Wait until the Chinese and their friends will not lend our govt money any more , and want it repaid with interest. At that point those in receipt of the govt cheque may find it bounces.;). No wonder Cowen loves his pints;).

someone was watching TV last night:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

thanks tipp Man. It has been widely reported in the media over the years who the creditor countries are though. I was a bit disappointed with last nights programme...it did not come up with anything new, but maybe next weeks programme will be better. It will be interesting to see his analysis of likey future events.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

thanks tipp Man. It has been widely reported in the media over the years who the creditor countries are though. I was a bit disappointed with last nights programme...it did not come up with anything new, but maybe next weeks programme will be better. It will be interesting to see his analysis of likey future events.

Oh i know it was nothinng new, I enjoyed last nights programme (when the missus would shut up for long enough!!) from the point of view that it hopefully set the context for the next few programmes which will hopefully outline ways to tackle the problem and the consequences of what has happened in the last 18 months

yeah, agreed, I'm looking forward to the next 2 programmes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭vinylbomb

0ubliette wrote: »
    A friend who works as a public servant for the past 9 years is now earning less than he was 2 years ago, which is under 30K per year, and other workers in his department are now literally earning less than 100 euro more than they would if they were on the dole.

He may be earning less on a weekly basis, but he was getting a massive pension for FREE prior to now. And I and other private sector workers were paying for it. Now that there are less private sector workers employed (and many have had pay cuts too), there is less tax intake, as a result less in the government budget, and as a result they have to borrow to pay his wages.

The money HAS to come from somewhere before it is spent.
    Government = BROKE.

What part of this do you not understand?

Its a pity for your friend, but I don't have sympathy. Spending MUST be reined in at the expense of the individual for the greater good. Simple as that, people must stop be so myopic and only seeing their own circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

why dont the unions invest their 1.3 million euro warchest into paying off the €2400000000 + plus debt we are racking up every year?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭NewDubliner

vinylbomb wrote: »
    He may be earning less on a weekly basis, but he was getting a massive pension for FREE prior to now.
    Not massive and not true. That person's pension would be 15k and 12k of that is paid for in exactly the same way as private sector employees.

Not massive and not true. That person's pension would be 15k
    Manys a person in the private sector does not get a 15 k pension after working in what must a low skilled job for 9 years. ( The poster admits this public servant for the past 9 years is still earning less than 30K per year. Bear in mind average public sector pay is close to 50 k per year, according to the c.s.o. ).

Let the public sector in question get a job in the private sector. He will - if he / she is lucky enough to get a job at all - almost definitely have to work harder / longer hours, for less pay + pension. Thats the real world. Abroad he would probably get even less. He is a lucky divil to have a secure job at all, judging by his likely qualifications + ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

what must a low skilled job

He is a lucky divil to have a secure job at all, judging by his likely qualifications + ability.

you are all charm as usual jimmmy

ever hear of "judge not...lest you yourself be judged"?

• Advertisement

Manys a person in the private sector does not get a 15 k pension after working in what must a low skilled job for 9 years.

no one in the public sector will either....you need 40 years to get 50% pension

anyone starting after 95 will get the OAP + balance as state pension

so someone like this would get OAP - c. €12,000 and state pension cost of €3,000

anyone suggesting that 13% or so contributions couldn't fund €3,000 per annum?

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭TheSpecialOne

The title here is very misleading there is no way in hell 34,000 thousand public servants want a pay rise.They understand the economic situation where in ...it's basically the unions sturring crap.They want to hold the country to demand making claims on pay rise without the permission of it's members!How about they ballot the workers and ask them do they DEMAND a pay rise until that happens this claim of 34,000 public servants demanding a pay rise is ridiculous!!These unions Only Cause Trouble...down with them!!

The title here is very misleading there is no way in hell 34,000 thousand public servants want a pay rise.They understand the economic situation where in ...it's basically the unions sturring crap.They want to hold the country to demand making claims on pay rise without the permission of it's members!How about they ballot the workers and ask them do they DEMAND a pay rise until that happens this claim of 34,000 public servants demanding a pay rise is ridiculous!!These unions Only Cause Trouble...down with them!!

thats not quite accurate, the 3.5% increase was apreviously agreed as part of an overall agreement with Government who are now not implementing the pay element...the Union are seeking the implementaion of the pay rise, knowing it wont happen, in order to force the Government to officially end that agreement

as you say no workers or union are actually seeking an increase

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭TheSpecialOne

Riskymove wrote: »
    thats not quite accurate, the 3.5% increase was apreviously agreed as part of an overall agreement with Government who are now not implementing the pay element...the Union are seeking the implementaion of the pay rise, knowing it wont happen, in order to force the Government to officially end that agreement

as you say no workers or union are actually seeking an increase
    O i Know it was agreed previously but with the changing economic climate over that period of time the unions should realise we cannot and will not give workers a 3.5% pay rise.The Government needs to become much more harsh with the unions basically tell them to take a hike!I honestly cannot see a situation where workers will ballot to strike over the failure to implement a pay rise in this recession,that would be plain crazy and would turn plenty of people myself included against them.BIFFO BASH THE UNIONS!

O i Know it was agreed previously but with the changing economic climate over that period of time the unions should realise we cannot and will not give workers a 3.5% pay rise.

as I said they do realise that...they dont expect an increase
    The Government needs to become much more harsh with the unions basically tell them to take a hike!

yes..thats what they want..for the Government to end the agreement
    I honestly cannot see a situation where workers will ballot to strike over the failure to implement a pay rise in this recession,that would be plain crazy and would turn plenty of people myself included against them.BIFFO BASH THE UNIONS!

agree

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Thers your pay rise you w***ers!

http://www.rte.ie/business/2009/1008/inflation.html

The bloody audacity to to be looking for a pay rise!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Hydrosylator

Well, it was agreed 11 months ago, when everybody knew what was going on, and the government reneged.

As for cuts, I'd approve fairly implemented cuts, rather than sweeping across the board cuts. It's the ****ers at the top who cost the most. There's departmental heads getting paid multiples of Cowen's wage, and he's grossly overpaid.

The same way I favour progressive taxation on wages, I'd support some degree of progressive wage cuts on the public sector.

However, I would be more in favour of a Quango cull. Fianna Fail have been using these things to win votes for years, and at least 20 of them need to go. Cull unnecessary Quangos and your most of the way to removing our need to borrow before you've even touched wages. Sure, some jobs would go, but a pointless job doesn't belong on the public bill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭NewDubliner

Manys a person in the private sector does not get a 15 k pension after working in what must a low skilled job for 9 years.
    You seem to think that the low-paid PS worker mentioed in the post will get a pension after 9 years. Not so. Stick to the facts jimmmy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Well, it was agreed 11 months ago, when everybody knew what was going on

Really? Many might have seen a bit of rough water ahead but the magnitude of what happened was not known by "everybody"

You seem to think that the low-paid PS worker mentioed in the post will get a pension after 9 years. Not so.
    No. I am quite well aware that the person will not get their pension until retirement age. As I said,
    "Manys a person in the private sector does not get a 15 k pension after working in what must a low skilled job for 9 years."
    Please do not expect me to have great sympathy for anyone in such a position. Such a person would be worse off in the real world.( the private sector or the public sector in any other jurisdiction you care to come up with ).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

As for cuts, I'd approve fairly implemented cuts, rather than sweeping across the board cuts. It's the ****ers at the top who cost the most.
    Is it though. If you have 1000 people earning €1000 a week each, and one person earning €3000 a week, you have a total wage bill of €1,003,000 per week. Cut his wages back to €2000 a week and you reduce your costs by less than 0.1%. Thats not to say they shouldn't be cut, but it doesn't address the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

Amhran Nua wrote: »
    Is it though. If you have 1000 people earning €1000 a week each, and one person earning €3000 a week, you have a total wage bill of €1,003,000 per week. Cut his wages back to €2000 a week and you reduce your costs by less than 0.1%. Thats not to say they shouldn't be cut, but it doesn't address the problem.

indeed , their are layers and layers of lower level types who not only earn alot more than they would ever earn in the private sector , many of them serve no purpose , its become a cliche at this stage to say that those at the top are the problem , while consultants , judges and politicians are too highly paid to the tune of at least 30% , their are a lot less of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

Then again public sector workers are paid out of the same pot their taxes go into, so the actual costs to the exchequer are considerably less than on paper. A €20 billion wage bill is probably in reality only €12 to €15 billion. And yet even with that we are still running a €24 billion deficit every year. To say its a humongous tangled shambles is an understatement of the highest order, and I'm not talking about the public pay bill.

Advertisement