Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just wondering about rent allowance

Options
  • 29-09-2009 5:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi all, myself my husband and our two children are moving from England to Sligo in November (after being away for 20 years!) and I was just wondering where I stand with regards to rent allowance. Now we are hoping that we won't have to claim at all as hopefully my husband can stay working in England until I find a job in Sligo. However if he were not to be working would we be allowed to claim rent allowance and do I have to speak to the landlord first? I know nothing about the Irish system, only the english so sorry if the answer is really obvious. Thank you all in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seahorse

First of all you'll have to find a landlord who'll accept rent allowance and that is not usually easy. If I were you I'd make sure the landlord was aware of your situation, that your husband is working and that rent allowance would be a last option should you be unable to find work.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

If one of you is employed, you are not entitled to rent allowance I'm afraid.

This is a great website for all these types of questions:
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories

And here is the section on rent allowance:
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/social-welfare/social-welfare-payments/supplementary-welfare-schemes/rent_supplement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Montymud

Thank you all for your help. We are pretty sure that we shouldnt need to claim it. Hubby can stay working in England for as long as it takes as we now found out that he gets accomadation with the job. Which leaves me free to job hunt without worry! I am so looking forward to moving back to Ireland, I can't wait! Thanks again to both of you for your help, and those links are great! They should answer any further questions I have. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I suspect you wouldn't be entitled to it as I imagine there are certain residency requirements, but investigate those links.

Advertisement