Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oatmeal cookies

Options
  • 29-09-2009 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm a noob to this part of Boards but having a read through it today and I'm loving it, excited about trying some of your recipes!

Anyway I've been dying to make Oatmeal Cookies for ages, but 've seen a few different recipes online. I know they are easy but I'm not much of a chef/baker, so what do I use?

:)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Hi, I find the Odlums website really good for basic recipes.

I've been given this recipe for hobnobs and although I haven't tried it yet, I'm assured that they're yummy:

8oz self raising flour
    8oz caster sugar
    8oz porridge oats
    8oz margarine or butter
    1tbsp golden syrup
    1tbsp hot water
    1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda (bread soda)

Mix flour, oats and sugar. Melt margarine, syrup and water in a pan and stir in bicarbonate of soda and add to dry mix.
    Mix well, make smallish balls and put on greased tray and flatten slightly with a fork. Leave room between them because they'll spread out.

Bake at 180oc for 15 mins, cool on the tray,
    you just want them golden coming from the oven, not brown.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭biddywiddy

ooh that recipe sounds yummy!

I always make the mistake of leaving cookies in the oven for two long. At best, they're crunchy. At worst, I'm left with a tray of rocks. Pretty, chocolate chip rocks.

This recipe may be just the thing to inspire me to try again! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Kat24

I always find the Odlums website helpful!

http://www.odlums.ie/index.php?page=oatmeal-cookies

Hope this helps! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I made these last night - they were great, but the mixture seemed very greasy!? I'd cut down on the butter a bit and increase the golden syrup the next time I think.

Also I used plain flour by an accident :pac: Didn't seem to neagtively affect them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

Malari wrote: »
    I made these last night - they were great, but the mixture seemed very greasy!? I'd cut down on the butter a bit and increase the golden syrup the next time I think.

Also I used plain flour by an accident :pac: Didn't seem to neagtively affect them!!

SNAP...Made them myself last night and like you found them a bit greasy but I thought it was just me, I picked up pinhead porridge oats instead in my rush around the shop! :rolleyes: Still tasty tho!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

It does seem like a lot of butter - I'll reduce the amount when I make them :)

Advertisement