Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

One Minute Picture, you're all needed (31/10/09)

• 29-09-2009 7:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

Hi Everyone,

We are starting a project entitled '1 minute picture' where we will get as many people as we can around the world to take a picture at 3:00pm on Saturday October 31st 2009.

With nearly everyone having a camera phone/digital camera we would like to see how many images we can get to use in two different ways,

1. A collage of '1 minute in time' (around the globe)
    2. A video '1 minute in time' (around the globe)

This picture can be of anything you like (the beach, the road, the sky, a friend, a halloween costume, your cat, your sofa, etc), wherever you are between 3:00 & 3:01pm GMT (except, no copyrighted material)

We ask that images not be above 3mb & prefer jpg format, but any format will do.

All images will be considered 'public domain' unless stated & please leave your name and a description so you can be credited.

We look forward to seeing your '1 minute in time' and hope you are looking forward to seeing what everyone else was doing in that same minute. Send your pictures to the email addresses below.

Thank you.
    The 1 Minute Team

1minuteinpicture@gmail.com or oneminutepicture@gmail.com

invite Neo Epicrut to be your friend on facebook to find out more info...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Sounds good actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

I agree it sounds good, will defo get involved!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

You timezone bigot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 1minutepicture

Good to have you aboard Rb & Dodgykeeper :)

Fenster i forgot to put in GMT, its in now, who in aus is going to get up to take a picture in the middle of the night! but it has to be at the same time.

Tell everyone about it, the more people, the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

I'm game, sounds like a great idea.

Just need to remember to do it now! lol :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Hey :) Sounds like a really great project, and before I start this post I'd like to say that I'm really into all these things and love to get involved...

BUT....

I'm wondering why you don't have a website? Why the gmail address? I can almost *feel* the sighs and the eyebrows being raised on the forum here (I would be one of them normally), but apart from saying you want to collect images for a video/collage, what you want to do with them? What exactly is the point? Is it a fine art thing? Does it have a political context?

Or are you merely data mining for email addresses of photography enthusiasts?

Edit - the fact that the facebook contact you mentioned seems to have his page protected added to my initial concerns...

I'm sincerely hoping its fine art and not data mining. I'm not at all accusing you of it, but I'm studying the subject at the moment and my ears automatically (and perhaps unfairly) pricked up. Maybe you could explain the background behind the project a little more? And how our info would be protected/used?

Hi Sinead,

This is an 'arty' thing, just to see how many people take pictures/take part, to see how many different things people are looking at/doing at the same time.

I dont have a website for this because there is no budget, i am doing this off my own bat, in my own time to see what comes of it, the video will probably be on youtube/vimeo/metacafe. i'll have to wait to see how big the collage will be before i decide where to put it.

The same thing with the gmail accounts, i'm hoping 14gb in two gmail accounts will be enough, as i said i'm doing this on my own, no budget, no backing.

There is no political context or data mining, i will NOT be giving email addresses to anyone, this is not just for photography enthusiasts it is for everyone who has a camera of any sort & can email a picture (i only started today), i will be putting this on more sites not to do with photography (i just put it up on craiglist.org newyork, midtown) also this will not be used to bring down any government!

I only created the facebook account, do you think it should be open ? i didn't but if you have a good reason i'm all ears.

I hope i've answered all your questions, if not just let me know.

Now does anyone know: if its 3pm in dublin on 31/10/09 & DMT ended on Sunday, 25 October 2009, is it 11am in New York as their DMT ends on 1 November 2009 ? its been a long day!

Good to have you in Jemmy, dont worry, you'll remember its on halloween :D

Thanks for clarifying 1minute :) You have to be careful out there!

Might I suggest? Get yourself a website. No-one believes you if you don't have one. NOT THAT HAVING A WEBSITE MAKES YOU LEGIT! But it comforts people. Buy a .com (7 quid or so) and I'll give you some hosting and maybe a website for free - I like the idea of the project :D

Think about the scope of what you're taking on - it could have the potential to be huge! Or never take off...

And yes! Open the facebook account! I'm not adding NOBODY i can't see or don't know..

It's a lovely idea :) Where are you based? I'm interested..

Oh, and I'd bring the max file Waaaaaaaaaaay down from 10mb - no need at ALL unless you're printing (and my 5D doesn't usually output that size jpeg!). And stiputate no copyrighted material rather than 'try not to'...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

This is an 'arty' thing

this phrase I dont like

• Advertisement

Hi Sinead & everyone,

Thanks for the pointers, as you can see above, they have been used.

I've thought about the .com but i think it takes something away, half the idea of this was no money & for now i'm going to stick with that. if people dont do it, they dont do it, their loss. thanks for the kind offer of hosting, i might get back to you on that.

How do you create one of those 'become a fan' pages on facebook ? i might try to move it to that kind of thing rather than Neo Epicrut (One Picture) but my facebook knowledge is not good at all, answers on a postcard please!

Hi kumate_champ07,

I dont like it either but its better than data miner (see above), so i kind of had to go with 'arty thing' call it what you want, its a picture in a moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

you need a website,
    buy the domain and il do it for free

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

sounds really good. i like the idea

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Rodg3

You wouldn't even need a "website" per sey, a Flickr account would serve your purposes just as well. :)

Rodg3 wrote: »
    You wouldn't even need a "website" per sey, a Flickr account would serve your purposes just as well. :)

Or ask In Pix.ie and I'm sure Marcus would create an online competition where you could uplaod your photos directly :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭trooney

Tallon wrote: »
    Or ask In Pix.ie and I'm sure Marcus would create an online competition where you could uplaod your photos directly :)

Thats actually quite a good idea. (if Marcus was acceptable to it all) it would add a lot of credence to such a project if a provider like pix.ie was on board in this manner.

Hi Guys & Gals,

Thanks for all the great ideas so far, please keep them coming.

Placebo, thanks for the offer, i might just take you up on that.

Rodg3, i like the flickr idea, have just made the page, what do you recommend i do now ? http://www.flickr.com/people/oneminutepicture/?search=one+minute+picture

Tallon & trooney, I dont like the idea of a 'competition' and also this would be advertising pix.ie (i know nothing about pix.ie, if there is any advertising or links on this it will be for something like cancer research, something that needs advertisement) & you would have to signing up to pix.ie (i take it thats how it works), i thought it would be a lot more simple to just email a picture from anywhere you are, even send them from your phone camera.

All these ideas are great people, as i said please keep them coming, and anything that gives this project credence but keeps it simple (& free) i would really like to know about it.

Sorry, I meant the word 'competition' loosely....

What do you mean by advertising? I have to say, marcus is a really nice, genuine guy. I don't think his first thought will be advertisment.

I meant pix.ie would be a great platform for the idea, it has a very active and friendly community (alot of which are on here too)
    Its a pretty big well know product too....

It also has a very easy-upload feature and user friendly layout. I'd deffo recommend starting a thread there and seeing what marcus has to say, or what exactly (if anything) he could offer

Hi Tallon,

Thanks for the response, i've contacted pix.ie (Marcus) & joined up we shall see where this leads & if he has any advice. i've asked in the mail about starting a thread.

About advertisement, i dont really want this to be held in one place where people have to join up/sign in/type in those really annoying words you cant really see, it kind of kills the whole simple idea of 'take a picture & email it' or 'take a phone pic & send it from your phone'

All these ideas are great & thanks again.

Does anyone know any good message boards from other countrys (nothing compares to boards.ie :D) where i could start to post this info as well or if you want feel free to post it yourself, just send a mail with the link.

Thanks again for all the help and support

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Marcus

Hi Tallon,

Thanks for the response, i've contacted pix.ie (Marcus) & joined up we shall see where this leads & if he has any advice. i've asked in the mail about starting a thread.
    Got your note earlier - but moving house today and hence no response yet!

I'll try to get to your email tomorrow.

Marcus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

I'll do this too. Sounds like a cool idea.

Thanks Marcus, i'll be out most of the day but will reply when i'm back, hope the move went well.

Thanks Corkfeen, good to have you onboard :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dacogawa

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭KarmaGarda

Love the idea! A great UK forum is http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/. Obviously not as good as this one :D but it's handy for me because I'm actually based in the UK. Post in there and I'll support the topic.

Now you can upload your photos from 31/10/09 @ 3:00pm (GMT) to

http://pix.ie/group/oneminutepicture (thanks Marcus)

or to the gmail addresses
    1minuteinpicture@gmail.com oneminutepicture@gmail.com

Whatever suits you!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭m_s_nixon

I have to say when you first posted this I liked the idea but I didn't think it would fly, you've done some great work on this since then and it looks like a very good project :)

I'm in :D

Thanks m_s_nixon,

I hope it does fly, well i'll know at the start of November but it is looking like taking off now, good to have you aboard.

& there are a few people in New Zeland now who will be taking night shots at 4:00am (3:00pm GMT)!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/One-Minute-Picture/171085165209

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭piskins72

will share on my FB page as I have lots of ppl who are into photography! :)

Thanks piskins72, tell everyone about it, the more the merrier & they dont have to be into photography, just anyone anywhere who can take a digital picture :)

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Delorian

Thanks m_s_nixon,

I hope it does fly, well i'll know at the start of November but it is looking like taking off now, good to have you aboard.

& there are a few people in New Zeland now who will be taking night shots at 4:00am (3:00pm GMT)!

Yeah, I'm in Wellington and will try and set my alarm for it. Actually, might be working that night, so you might just get a picture of a computer screen! Just have to get the time right cos it's 12 hours difference at the moment, when do GMT clocks change? That'll change it to 13 hours, which means you'd be right at 4am.

Oh, if I'm lucky and it's timed right, might be able to get sunrise shot over the waterfront. Prolly too early though. Hmm... What if the exposure time I set brings me after 3:01pm? Is that ok? Oh the possibilities!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭xia

DST around the world

New Zealand changed already in September? Well, here in Europe it'll change on 25th October...

• Advertisement

Hi Delorian,

This is going into a 'grey' area about the exposure time that i had not even thought about, I suppose as long as you click the camera & you are looking at it at 3:00pm GMT (4am your time) its ok, but lets not go colouring to far outside the lines here, it would be better if it was kept inside the time, anyone else agree or disagree ?

Also if you're working or up late, would it not be better for you to go back to work/bed & not spend to long waiting for the exposure :confused: ?

Xia is right, it changes in europe on the 25th October but not in America till the 1st November (part of my reason for the date) world time zone chart below for 31/10/09 at 3:00pm (GMT), they were really nice, i found them on google & asked could i link to their chart, got a mail back within 30 minutes say 'yes of course you can & we've set up your date for you'

Meeting lots of helpful nice people as this goes on (you all know who you are!) Thanks again everyone :)

http://www.worldtimezone.com/time/interactive-time-map.php?select=0&calldate=10-31-2009&hournr=15&forma=

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Reoil

We
    Who is "we"?

Hi Reoil,

Sorry 'we' was really 'I' but now it is becoming us (everyone who joined, helped, etc) ;)

sounds deadly :) I'll twitter/FB a little closer to the date

Hi Sinead,

Good to have you in, & i've used some of your suggestions as you can probably see.

Tallon thanks for the hook up with Marcus, I think more people are interested now that there is a pix.ie upload (again, thanks Marcus for sorting that) now if people want to email they can and if they want to upload to pix thay can.

Thanks again for everybodys help and suggestions, keep them coming

http://pix.ie/group/oneminutepicture

• Advertisement

Looks good :)

I'm looking forward to this now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

All signed up & looking forward to contributing

• Registered Users Posts: 19 tonyoc_1

This is a great idea, I'm in !

Great to have you in DK32 & tonyoc_1, and tell everybody! :)

One Minute Picture facebook group

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Count me in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 2centsworth

great idea, count me in

On a side note, will Pix.ie explode since most people will be uploading their pics at nearly the same time? (Just after the agreed time)

Good to have you in cian1500ww & 2centsworth

I hope not Tallon, i'm sure pix.ie can deal with the 30 or 40 photos :D and if there are more i'm sure people will upload them over a day or 2 rather then run to their computer straight away and upload.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭jenny2hat

I'll take one, setting a reminder in my phone right now.
    Sounds like a good project.

Good to have you jenny2hat, i'll be bumping all the threads & updating the facebook page the day before and on the morning of the 31st so hopefully it will jog peoples memory, good ida to put a phone reminder (i'll do that now myself)

Anyone who wants to put this on any foreign language message boards please feel free or if you know of any let me know please, apart from France there isn't many other non-english speaking countrys in yet, so i've got to get going on that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement