Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question

Options
  • 29-09-2009 7:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

I was thinkin of doin the leavin in pencil to save time from using tippex and what not , but my mate told me you lose marks if you use a pencil? is this true?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

Its unlikely you'll lose marks but pencil will be harder to read for the examiner, it might have faded by the time he receives your paper to correct. I'd use biro if I were you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You won't lose marks (at least I was never instructed to dock marks for pencil) but it can be altered afterwards and the SEC don't like that. Depending on how soft the pencil is, it can smudge and they don't like that either.

NEVER NEVER NEVER use Tippex in an exam!

Just put a line through any mistakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 johnjoe86

i agree with spurious, use a biro, pencils are for drawing with.

Its only september chill out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Mayoegian

spurious wrote: »
    You won't lose marks (at least I was never instructed to dock marks for pencil) but it can be altered afterwards and the SEC don't like that. Depending on how soft the pencil is, it can smudge and they don't like that either.

NEVER NEVER NEVER use Tippex in an exam!

Just put a line through any mistakes.

Why, are you not supposed to use tippex?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Swizz

gera wrote: »
    I was thinkin of doin the leavin in pencil to save time from using tippex and what not , but my mate told me you lose marks if you use a pencil? is this true?
    Mayoegian wrote: »
    Why, are you not supposed to use tippex?:confused:

Because its a waste of time and you can get marks for stuff that you think is wrong/irrelevant (In maths you can get attempt points, look up the marking scheme)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Swizz wrote: »
    Because its a waste of time and you can get marks for stuff that you think is wrong/irrelevant (In maths you can get attempt points, look up the marking scheme)
    ... plus it can smear onto the facing page ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

DO NOT use a pencil, it would drive me crazy to have to read 11 + pages of smudged, unclear pencil! Your hand would get dirty and you'd have to keep paring it. Stick to a pen you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Dec0512

u hav a long way to go before ya start worrying about that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Claypigeon

You should use pen only for writing. As a leftie, I had to find pens that didn't smear and stuff like that. Just learn to cut down on mistakes and fix the mistakes neatly when you do make them rather than overdoing it with tipp-ex

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭lasair

Do your maths in pencil if your not confident in pens but use a good dark hb pencil.
    Everything else should be in pen..never use tippex as if you have a word/phrase scribbled out/line through it and it was correct you will get marks for that and you will risk loosing out on them if you use tippex.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Swizz

and I forgot this. Especially if its a light shade of grey its softer and smears easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

plus plenty of students tippex something out and continue on with the question while it's drying and forget to write over the tippex with the correct answer.

Stick to biro, put a line through it if it's wrong, the LC is anonymous, we really don't care how silly your 'wrong' answer might sound, and if it's legible (which it will be with a line through it) you just might get some marks from it.

While i'm at it, don't spend half the day oblitering an answer by colouring over it with biro, it's a waste of time and you can't get any marks for it if the examiner can't read it.

I've corrected a few papers in pencil. It's crap correcting in pencil. It fades, it smudges easily, and is smudged from the student when they are writing and from me when I'm correcting, and sometimes we have to recorrect so it gets another going over. Also some of the lighter pencils can be hard to see against the answer book and it's even worse if the answers are written on the exam papers which are coloured. Pencil against blue or pink papers is not fun to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭MaggieNF

well they cant deduct marks for what you do your exam in,

that would be ridiculous HAHA

but maybe liek keep the pencil for maths or whatever

but if you use pen, make a mistake, do not tipex it out just put a cross through it, they all say that

yu get marks for having the answer btu then crossed it out

you get nothing if they think it was never there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭segaBOY

Only use pencil for diagrams and never use tipp ex! Think about it, these papers are sitting in cars and vans during the summer months during transportation, they may be lying idle for some time. Pencil can fade, tipp ex can break up with the heat and go all over the place!

Early days yet but Biro for writing, pencil for diagrams and avoid tipp ex!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Never use pencil for writing in an exam, unless you're told or you're drawing diagrams. Make sure it's a darker pencil, and well-pointed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

ya the pencil fades bythe time theyre marked!

Advertisement