Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIY shooting kit.

Options
  • 29-09-2009 8:03pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Recently i was looking for a cheek piece spacer for my Sako TRG. The cheapest i could find the proper one was for $60 (not including P&P). I thought to myself, self its only a spacer, it can't be that difficult to make. So i headed down to the garage and located a bolt of the right size, piece of half inch thick pine and got to work. Half an hour later i have 2 spacers (one is half inch/13mm one is quarter inch/6mm) It fits like a dream and after painting and laquering it, the difference between colour of the stock and the homemade spacer is negligible.

Was just wondering if anyone else has improvised and made something to suit due to (like myself) lack of spare cash, not willing to pay over the odds for a simple piece of kit or if you just couldn't find exactly what you wanted so decided to make it yourself.

I thought it might be useful to share so if a lad is looking for a particular piece of kit and cannot for any of the reasons above get it, they could use ideas from this thread to get sorted.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭J.R.

great idea - any photos??

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭derek_g34

ezridax wrote: »
    Recently i was looking for a cheek piece spacer for my Sako TRG. The cheapest i could find the proper one was for $60 (not including P&P). I thought to myself, self its only a spacer, it can't be that difficult to make. So i headed down to the garage and located a bolt of the right size, piece of half inch thick pine and got to work. Half an hour later i have 2 spacers (one is half inch/13mm one is quarter inch/6mm) It fits like a dream and after painting and laquering it, the difference between colour of the stock and the homemade spacer is negligible.

Was just wondering if anyone else has improvised and made something to suit due to (like myself) lack of spare cash, not willing to pay over the odds for a simple piece of kit or if you just couldn't find exactly what you wanted so decided to make it yourself.

I thought it might be useful to share so if a lad is looking for a particular piece of kit and cannot for any of the reasons above get it, they could use ideas from this thread to get sorted.

I got my cheek spacer from a guy in Norway called Terje who knocks up parts for TRG's in his garage. Its an excellent piece of kit. This is the thread that I found him on:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=704030

Here's another article about him:

http://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek069.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

i needed a new fore sight for my webley revolver which as you'd imagine are long out of production , the original was way too low , so i got a bit of steel and filed one to shape and blacked it in oil , worked fine.

now the celtic tiger is brown bread people are more frugal with the few bob .

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

As mentioned i started of with a piece of wood. Measured the dimensions of the cheek piece and outlined it on the wood. Cut the timber about 2-3mm wider and longer to allow for sanding. Started with a heavy grit then a very fine one. No need to go over board a simple sanding will do. Measured the dimensions of the 2 steadying blocks located under the cheek piece on the stock. Notched out a coinciding notch in my piece of timber. Measured the diameter of the hole for the locking bolt and drilled throught the timber. Bought a 6mmX50mm bolt (half threaded), Ground down the hexagon head to a smooth round head without decreasing the diameter of the head. Used a hacksaw to cut a groove across the bolt head to allow tightening with a flat headed screw driver. Used paint from the dog run i done a few years back. Takes a while to dry in (30 mins)but turned out a nice colour. Gave it 2 coats. Used a can of spray laquer or clear vanish will suffice. Again 2 coats. Allow to dry and voila. 1 Sako TRG22 cheek piece. Cost; bolt- 50 cents, timber - free (it was a scrap piece), paint and laquer already owned, time (excluding drying 35 mins). Total cost 50 cents. Total cost from shop $60 + P&P (cheapest)

The picture with the 2 bolts, the black (left one) is the original 6mmX30mm half threaded. The right one is the hexagon head that i ground down.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭Mac Tire

derek_g34 wrote: »
    I got my cheek spacer from a guy in Norway called Terje who knocks up parts for TRG's in his garage. Its an excellent piece of kit. This is the thread that I found him on:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=704030

Here's another article about him:

http://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek069.html

I have him on hold for knocking my spacers together too.....excellant worksmanship ;)

• Advertisement

derek_g34 wrote: »
    I got my cheek spacer from a guy in Norway called Terje who knocks up parts for TRG's in his garage...........

It looks far better than the one i knocked together, but the reason i wanted to start this thread was you still bought it from a person, shop, dealer, gunsmith. Not taking from that, sometimes you just have to buy, but what i really wanted to know was any tricks of the trade or help, advice lads have for me and others in relation to making your own kit (where ever possible)

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

I've seen a very nicely done custom cheekpiece for an Anschutz Precise stock. BountyHunter knows (or is?) the person who did it, and I'll be very tempted to get my hands on one if I do end up buying that stock.

Sparks did some DIY on his tractor pistol by Dremeling it until it fit his paws. Definitely cheaper than trying to get custom grips made.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭BountyHunter

IRLConor wrote: »
    I've seen a very nicely done custom cheekpiece for an Anschutz Precise stock. BountyHunter knows (or is?) the person who did it, and I'll be very tempted to get my hands on one if I do end up buying that stock.

Sparks did some DIY on his tractor pistol by Dremeling it until it fit his paws. Definitely cheaper than trying to get custom grips made.

I did the drawings but a toolmaker friend of mine milled it up, finished it off with some powder coating...

BountyHunter.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,364 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

With a bit more time, a perspex spacer would of been great,
    all you need is a file and some wet/dry or sand paper

I think that was for me mellor. Only thought afterwards about the perspex. Started the spacer and had no perspex so used timber. Will make another one later out of perspex if only for aesthetics. Might be more durable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭freddieot

I've used rubber tap washers as spacers for cheekpieces on several rifles. Very cheap compared to ordering them from moremadmoney.com

Resurrecting an old thread of mine.

With the new rifle built and the Sinclair on it i decided to weigh it a week or so ago. Came in over weight. Was scratching the head as i could not find any way of loosing enough weight. I do not want to go back to using a Harris bipod not after getting used to the Sinclair.

Only solution now is to build my own. Went out today and got my hands on some aluminium sheet, bars, etc and some alu. welding rods. Spent today cutting the necessary designs out of the sheet metal and hope to get around to bending and "shaping" the pieces tomorrow. Will weigh them to see the difference between the pieces and the Sinclair. Then will have a go at welding and assembling over the weekend.

Could be good or could turn out a disaster. Time will tell. Anyway will post some pics tomorrow.

Well finally got it done. Took ideas from multiple other shooters and designs to get the right combination for me. Finished look could do with a polish, but all in all seems okay. It fits perfectly and is as stable as the Sinclair. I set it at 5 inches at the bottom setting and 9.5 inches at the highest. May not suit some, but my prone/shooting position is fairly low. The total weigh is roughly 1lb 4oz. Thats 1lb (16oz) less than the Sinclair and just 8oz over the Harris.

Might do some "tweaking" as time goes on, but i'll hopefully get some trigger time with it tomorrow. Here are a few pics.

picture.php?pictureid=7596&albumid=939&dl=1287178287&thumb=1

picture.php?pictureid=7598&albumid=939&dl=1287178287&thumb=1

picture.php?pictureid=7597&albumid=939&dl=1287178287&thumb=1

picture.php?pictureid=7600&albumid=939&dl=1287178343&thumb=1

picture.php?pictureid=7599&albumid=939&dl=1287178343&thumb=1

Advertisement