Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

457 visa - proof of medical insurance required

Options
  • 29-09-2009 8:34pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm in the midst of submitting my 457 visa application. Apparently I need to include proof of medical insurance for my time in Australia.

Any recommendations on health care providers to go with for this?

This proof of medical insurance is something which has just come into affect as of September 14th this year.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭sharky86

BossArky wrote: »
    I'm in the midst of submitting my 457 visa application. Apparently I need to include proof of medical insurance for my time in Australia.

Any recommendations on health care providers to go with for this?

This proof of medical insurance is something which has just come into affect as of September 14th this year.

VHI are good bit expensive tho.. my quote was nearly 15%more than my irish insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭kittex

In Jan when I got mine, there was almost no choice for the 457 cover. But since September it has become a compulsory requirement for the employee, rather than the employer, to make sure health is covered. This is because Medicare doesn't cover everything, especially in regional areas.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/457-health-insurance-faq-visa-holder.htm

You need to use the ones licenced to provide what's called Overseas Visitors Cover. You can get comprehensive or a Medicare top-up type thing - but only if you have a Medicare card. Otherwise you have to go fully comp.
    In Jan there was only 3 providers, but I think there are tonnes now. I'd look at my location, even call the local hospital and see which ones have easipay and things set up, so you just swipe your card when you're there. It is a pain int he hole constantly claiming back!

Advertisement