Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lamb Karahi - speshully for Des

Options
  • 29-09-2009 8:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭

Serves 4

500g neck or shoulder of lamb, diced
    1 large onion, diced
    4 cloves garlic
    thumb-sized piece root ginger, peeled & quartered
    3 fat chillis, roughly chopped (I always leave the seeds in, but deseed if you want)
    1 tin tomatoes
    1 tbsp cumin seeds
    2 tbsp ground cumin
    1 dessertspoon turmeric
    1 dessertspoon paprika
    2 tsp salt
    300g spinach, large stalks removed
    Tin of chickpeas
    Bunch fresh coriander

1) Heat a glug of sunflower or groundnut oil in a large wok and cook the onions over a medium heat until completely soft and slightly coloured.

2) While they're cooking, combine the tomatoes, garlic, ginger and chillis in a blender and whizz until smooth. If the sauce is very thick, add a bit of water and smooth again.

3) When the onions are cooked, remove from the oil with a slotted spoon, add to the tomato mix and whizz again. Return the whole lot to the wok along with the lamb, salt, cumins, turmeric and paprika. Allow to simmer over a low heat for at least an hour, but the longer the better, tbh. If the sauce looks like it's reducing too much at any stage, add a spoonful of water but if your heat is low enough you shouldn't need to.

4) About half an hour before serving, wilt the spinach in a pot with literally a few drops of water, then tip into the rinsed out blender and puree. Add to the curry along with the drained chickpeas and heat through.

5) Just before serving stir in the chopped coriander. Serve with rice, griddled flatbreads (I also have a great recipe for these if you want it) and yoghurt on the side.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Thanks very much for that!

One thing though
    Honey-ec wrote: »
    5) Just before serving stir in the chopped coriander.
    :eek:

Do you not remember this thread!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055670166
    :D
    Honey-ec wrote: »
    Serve with rice, griddled flatbreads (I also have a great recipe for these if you want it) and yoghurt on the side.

Wouldn't mind that recipe either, stick it in this thread if you want :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

Going to have to try this too, love Lamb Karahi from the local indian about time I gave it a go myself. (should be interesting! :p)

My local Indian is Bombay Pantry, and their Karahi is lovely too. It's why I asked for this.

I can smell it in my nostrils right now!

One thing though, I'd never stop buying Naans from the Indian. Feckin gorgeous.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

Des wrote: »
    My local Indian is Bombay Pantry, and their Karahi is lovely too. It's why I asked for this.

I can smell it in my nostrils right now!

One thing though, I'd never stop buying Naans from the Indian. Feckin gorgeous.

I <3 Naans with it, Keema naan is Luverly!
    Jamuna in wicklow is my local, bit pricey but food is always fab, but if im home and my dad rings in the order I seem to end up up Korma instead of Karahi they can't understand him, VERY VERY disappointing when you open the tray tho...almost tear worth!

ahhh I want it now :(, nyom nyom nyom!:p

There's a Jamuna near me too, but I don't think they deliver. Have heard good reports about it.

Think I'll head down soon enough sample the Karahi.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Have you tried it out, Des?

Finally :)

Have spent the afternoon making this, but I read tbsp instead of tsp for the salt :eek::eek:

It smells nice alright, and I've chopped a few potatoes into it to take out some of the salt.

Just waiting for the rice to cook and eat this now.

The OH is having it meatless, as she's a veggie.

Will post again afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

If you want, look out for Karahi Gosht Masala powder in any of the Indian food stores. It's absolutely beautiful, I'm making a nice curry out of it tonight:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I'm giving this a go this evening, nice and seasonal. :pac:

I'm just going to leave it simmer now and I can smell the mix of flavours, think it's going to turn out well. :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

DES MAKE THIS AGAIN PLEASE

• Advertisement
Advertisement