Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a Pedigree Puppy?

Options
  • 29-09-2009 8:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Could I just clarify what papers you actually get the day you collect your puppy?

I just bought a beautiful chocolate lab - seen mother and have a copy of papers for both mum and dad and got her vacination cert also. The owners/breeders seem really lovely - family environment and this is their second litter. They said that they will be registering the pup and took my details (name and address etc), however, I notice that IKC registration can only be done if the pup is microchipped? But my new arrival isnt?

I have never bought a pedigree puppy before. Is this normal practice? Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Both my dogs were microchipped at the same time as the first vaccination, before I got them.
    I also got copies of parents certs and saw both parents in both cases.
    As far as I know they need to send the chip number with the registration, maybe best to give them a call? Are you sure the dog isn't chipped? They may have forgotten to give you the card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Angelface1

Thanks for that. Just checked with the owner and he tells me that the pup is registered with the 'Kennel Club'....of the UK and is not microchipped. And there I thought I was getting a great bargain...but she is a sweetie.

I will have to get her registered and then get the owner/breeder to sign the form so that she can be registered in my name. One other - microchipping costs seem to vary so much - how much should I expect to pay??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Not sure about cost of chipping, both were done before I got them. Maybe €30-€40?
    Thought U.K Kennel Club needed chip too, not sure.
    Are parents uk kc reg?

Mum is IKC and dad just UK KC. No microchip number on copy of registration cert for dad - but that was in 2006. I read somewhere that I should have got a copy of the KC registration document - but i didnt do that either. Will call the IKC tomorrow and the owners again to see what I need to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭sadhbhc15

Cost me €50 to get mine chipped 2 years ago. Steep enough, but it'll last a lifetime.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Regarding the english KC - I don't think they're required to be microchipped.
    For the IKC they must be microchipped and I'm not 100% about it but this might be of help?
    http://www.ikc.ie/forms/FormNO1.pdf is for registering with IKC
    http://www.ikc.ie/forms/FormOS1.pdf is from the IKC under the forms for registering a dog already registered with another kennel club

and the owners have to register the pup and then it can be transferred to you.
    Microchipping, really depends on where you go. My dog got microchipped and a check up and some shot and that was around 100euro altogether. So shouldn't be much more than maybe 50? I can't be sure though, ring around and find out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭looserock

Chipping a pup for reg with the ikc is supposed to be only €20 by agreement between the vets and the ikc.

I don't know if registering an English dog comes under the same agreement but you should ask the question so the vet doesn't try rip you off.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

My local vet in Cavan charges €88 to give a dog its two initial vaccinations and microchip it. That was the best price I found in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Our papers arrived in the post last week. We got
    - Registration card/form to re-register his microchip to our name (you can do it online - brilliant imo!)
    - The puppy's birth cert :D
    - His "family tree" so a table with his parents/grandparent/etc etc and all their reg numbers
    - A photocopy of the IKC code of practice
    - A page from the breeder about what she'd been feeding them and info on his vaccinations, worming etc
    - Vouchers for Royal Canin :)
    - His vaccination card

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Sounds like a great breeder TK, well done, thats the way they should all be.

• Advertisement

tk123 wrote: »
    Our papers arrived in the post last week. We got
    - Registration card/form to re-register his microchip to our name (you can do it online - brilliant imo!)
    - The puppy's birth cert :D
    - His "family tree" so a table with his parents/grandparent/etc etc and all their reg numbers
    - A photocopy of the IKC code of practice
    - A page from the breeder about what she'd been feeding them and info on his vaccinations, worming etc
    - Vouchers for Royal Canin :)
    - His vaccintaion card

What type of dog did you buy? If this was a Cocker breeder, I'd certainly love to get their details off you.

he's a golden retriever Lemlin.

tk123 wrote: »
    he's a golden retriever Lemlin.

He's gorgeous. Did the breeder also breed any labradors or other dogs by any chance?

Lemlin wrote: »
    He's gorgeous. Did the breeder also breed any labradors or other dogs by any chance?

Nope just retrievers - they own both the parents.

An absolute dote! Got my little lady microchipped today for 23 euro - and paperwork all ready to go to IKC. The breeder was told by his vet that it is easier for the new owners to microchip because it can get confusing with a big litter and new owners choosing etc and matching microchip numbers...

Anyhow...the family I bought her from are really great...lovely home, showed me where she was born, they have the mum and dad lives down the road. Can I ask:

When the IKC papers go to IKC from breeder, does the breeder get the paperwork back and then she gets transferred to me??

Thanks guys.

PS: Thanks LooseRock - I asked at my vets and it is normally 35 euro but with the IKC thingi, it only cost 23!

TK - how did you insert a photo???

The breeder will get the paperwork back and then they send it to you.

The breeder will need the microchip details though to put on the papers first to register them, did they ask you for this before they sent off info to IKC as they will need it. You cant register pups unless they are microchipped so breeder will need this to send off papers.

Its only the breeder that can register the pups so im bit confused as any breeder i know gets the pups microchipped so they can regiser them themselves.

I got her microchipped and the 'barcode sticker' is now attached to the IKC form which has been signed by the vet. This family are living in Northern Ireland and was going to register the litter with the Kennel Club of UK - so I said to hold off as I would be registering her with the IKC anyway. The Kennel Club of UK dont require for the pups to be microchipped.

I can see the problem if you have 11 pups (6 boys and 5 girls) - how do you know what their numbers are? If someone chose a pub, would the breeder have to go back to the vet each time so that the correct number was sent to the IKC etc.

typo...sorry...if someone chooses a pup (not a pub)x

A lot of breeders have microchip readers or put different coloured collars on each pup to distinguish which is which, ive never heard of the new owner registering the pup as it has to be the breeder that registers the litter.

Do the forms you have, have the breeders details and signature on it? as the IKC will not accept it from anyone other than the breeder.

• Advertisement

As I said, this pup came from a loving family with a family and a pedigree lab. Decided to breed her and this is her second litter. She came from Fermanagh (UK) so she would, normarily, be registered there and microchipping is not compulsory. He offered to progress with the registration with the UK Kennel Club but then it would mean for me to wait for documentation and numbers etc before I could proceed with registering her with the IKC.

The forms I have detail the sire/dam etc from copies of the original reg forms for them. I have named the breeder and he is going to sign the forms and send them off for me.

All I wanted to know was...when the forms are sent to the IKC, do the details come back to me (new owner) or breeder (former owner)? Is it up to the former owner or new owner (me) to complete the change of ownership?

Also, how long does it take for the IKC to do their bit?

Thanks for all the advice.

As i said, the breeder usually sends off the papers and they go back to him/her, this can take a few weeks, then he gives the papers to you and you sign the back of them as the new owner and send them back to the IKC with the fee which again can take a few weeks to process and they are sent back to you then.
    The breeder must send in the paperwork to IKC, they receive them back with pups in their name, the breeder sends it to you, which you sign as the new owner, and the IKC send them back to you.

I was confused because its always the breeder that registers the pup, well it is with the IKC anyway, so its up to him to send off paperwrok to register pup, not you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

Angelface would really appreciate if you could send me on the dealers details. Have sent you a PM. Many thanks - would love to see a pic of the dog. What did you call him / her?

No problem andreac. Just never bought a pedigree puppy before so just wasnt sure how the whole process worked. Always adopted from shelters before now...so its all new.

Thanks for all your help.

The breeders sound genuine so you shouldnt have any problems getting papers, the IKC can be a bit slow with getting paperwork out so dont panic if you havent got them in a couple of weeks, just keep in contact with the breeder and they should be able to check it out with the IKC on how soon they will be out.

Thanks again - they seem very genuine indeed so, hopefully, all will be well. Funnily enough, the vet said today that a lot of people choose to buy a pedigree because they 'know what they are getting' but dont necessarily want to breed or register with the IKC. With this in mind, microchipping isnt being done as often by breeders.

Angel, you also have the other side of the story, puppy farmers, who cant register with the IKC because their bitches have been bred too many times and the IKC wont register them if this is so.

Absolutely - there are some right con artists out there. I dont know how they can do it - spoke to another guy who just didnt sound right. I asked him about the IKC and microchipping and more or less said that 'it was too much hassle'...hence, I didnt go to see his puppies!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭looserock

Angelface1 wrote: »
    As I said, this pup came from a loving family with a family and a pedigree lab. Decided to breed her and this is her second litter. She came from Fermanagh (UK) so she would, normarily, be registered there and microchipping is not compulsory. He offered to progress with the registration with the UK Kennel Club but then it would mean for me to wait for documentation and numbers etc before I could proceed with registering her with the IKC.

The forms I have detail the sire/dam etc from copies of the original reg forms for them. I have named the breeder and he is going to sign the forms and send them off for me.

Angelface1 is he registering the rest of the pups with the E.K.C. and you're pup with the I.K.C. ?

If this is the case it could get very messy and the result could be that none of the pups will ever be allowed to be registered by any kennel club.

My suggestion would be let him reg you're pup in the UK and change it over when you get the papers, I'm not sure but even though chipping isn't compulsory in the UK you can still include the chip number when registering.

The E.K.C. are very efficient and doing it this way would only take about a week longer.

• Advertisement

The IKC form has been completed - mum is ERK reg and dad is IKC. I cant see it being a problem - the form will be signed by him by the weekend and sent off to the IKC.

The reason I dont want to wait for the UK reg is that he is going to register the litter once all is sold - 3 puppies left so it might be another week or so before he registers the litter. If there is a problem with the IKC, then I will obviously wait but I cant see it being a problem.

Many thanks.

PS; Might just give the IKC a call tomorrow to check it out.

Advertisement