Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Offical Boards review of Compression Gear (tights)

• 29-09-2009 9:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I "won" the right to do the review of compression gear and its time to share. :)

First let me say that 2 pairs of running compression tights were sent to me by www.amphibianking.ie (thanks). I have no dealing with the shop in question other than this review and Damian told me I could say whatever I wanted, good, bad or indifferent.

Since this is a work in progress feel free to add to it. Save me a load of work.

Alrighty, time to start. I had an e-mail from Damian about sizing. And while I rarely buy gear over the internet because of finding the right size, he got it spot on. So while he is not the subject of this thread he get an A- for customer support. (I don't like A+).

So what do I have?
    Skins
    BSC (body science compression)
    2XU (my own)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Zuppy

::::2XU::::

Well what can I say about these? I have had these the longest and own two pairs. I have used them for everything and thought this is the best place to start. I have various headings and I reserve the right to edit as more strikes me.
    I find wearing running tight a fashion mistake for most men but I am willing to swallow my pride for the sake of performance. :) Just buy black and cover any bulge. :-)

Fitting:
    A great fit even with my body shape which is resistant to standard sizing. I found the crotch area not great for long runs. So I generally wear something under them for longish races or training of long duration.

Thermal:
    A light material that I found doesn't offer much in the way of thermal protection (it's not designed to) but sufficient for much of the Irish climate where it is sunny one minute and freezing the next.

Compression:
    A medium compression feeling from ankle to waist, in no way discomforting while running. As a post session recovery garment I would prefer a tighter feeling but ideal for running.

Performance:
    Did the make me faster? Did the do the running for me? I don't think so but they sure didn't hinder my run.

Cross-purpose:
    Not what you would expect in a review but I am testing these in a non running setting. You could wear these on flights, for example on the way back from a European marathon, as an aid to recovery and to join the growing community of face mask wearing, DVT heads. If you do? Wear them under your jeans for fashion sakes.
    I took these tight for a trip to the gym. I felt better doing dead lifts to fail wearing tights than without. And they didn't impede my while kayaking which is what I expected to happen.

Durability:
    I found a couple of brambles with huge thorns did a bit of damage but the holes haven't increase with 3-4 washes. So from that I maintain the fabric weave is pretty good. I also found with 5 washes the compression is still as effective as out of the packet but will report back after a few more.

Overall:
    I would buy another pair. I find them great and would give them a 3-4 out of five.

Below is an article written on compression tights which should give an overview. It is an old one but gives a very good overview.

FYI- Medical compression tights have been around for a long time and have the research behind them as well. If I remember rightly (please correct me) they usually have between 30-40 mmhg worth of pressure. Not great for running in then. A number of studies have proven the recovery aspect and from a pure logic point of view they should help diminish DOMS, promote blood circulation and general help the recovery process.

Problem I have is with the intra-race wearing of compression gear. The studies I have read and followed seem to be in small numbers of athletes and mixed testing methods as well as mixed between pros and 'normal' fun athletes.The results have been very mixed either measured on exercise performance or vascular function. I am waiting of a large study to prove the in-race wearing benefits. And not focused on the unhealthy side of the population. I am waiting of a large study to prove the in-race wearing benifits. But there are a lot more smarter heads than me on this forum so I will await others comments.

Tights may give runners a lift
    Running tights designed to support the muscles and boost runners' performance may actually work as advertised, a small study suggests.
    Known as compression tights, the apparel is marketed to distance runners as a way to make their muscles work more efficiently - expending less energy to do a given amount of work.
    In the new study, French researchers found that the high-tech pants allowed 12 male runners to expend less effort during their runs compared with shorts or traditional low-tech tights.
    This implies that the gear could delay muscle fatigue and permit runners to go farther or burn less energy to reach their usual performance level, according to study co-author Dr Stephane Perrey, of the University of Montpellier's Motor Efficiency and Deficiency Laboratory in France.
    The findings are published in the International Journal of Sports Medicine.
    Compression tights have strategically placed bands of sturdier fabric that are supposed to support the leg's major muscles and limit excess muscle motion as a runner strides along.
    This protection against muscle "oscillation" may be what allowed runners in the study to move more efficiently, according to the researchers.
    In addition, they note, the extra-supportive tights may facilitate blood circulation back to the heart.
    The study included trained male runners who volunteered to test the performance effects of three types of sportswear clothes - compression tights, standard shorts and conventional elastic tights.
    The researchers measured the runners' efficiency using portable monitors that gauged their oxygen needs during the run.
    In the initial experiment, in which the men were asked to run a short distance, both compression and conventional tights helped the runners to move more efficiently compared with when they wore ordinary shorts.
    During more intense, 15-minute runs, the compression tights performed best, trimming the runners' oxygen use.
    Perrey estimated that, for a marathoner who normally clocks in at 3.5 hours, compression tights could shave about 6 minutes off that time.
    But, he told Reuters Health, the average jogger could also get a performance boost from the apparel - as long as the size is right.

::::BSC::::

A company and a set of tights I know nothing about, and I was very pleasantly surprised at the overall product.

Fitting:
    A very good fit and the feeling that the material is thicker and more durable. Slightly harder pair of tights to get into but it didn’t require much extra effort. I found that on the longer runs that I tended to get a small wrinkle in the back of the knee joints which, while not affecting me would get very irritating over the course of a marathon.

Thermal:
    A heavy material that might be a bit too warm in the high of summer. (all 2 weeks of it) But it offered a warm but very breathable alternative to the competition.

Compression:
    A heavy compression feeling from ankle to waist evenly distributed, that while not uncomfortable was noticeable. Felt that it would make an excellent post race recovery garment if you didn’t wish to wear it in the race.

Performance:
    I definitely felt better and while that might be a pure subjective feeling, in long distance running I have found that as long as I believe then it’s ok. I also like the fact the box stated it had an SPF of 50. A great asset in today’s cancer conscious environment.

Cross-purpose:
    A bit too thick for my liking in a kayak but it would offer better protection than the 2XU ones. It also felt more substantial and therefore more adaptable to other activities.

Durability:
    I found a couple of brambles with huge thorns like I did for the other tights and it didn’t even dent the tights. I am sure I must have felt the thorns and expected to see a bit of slight damage but none present. This pair has only had 4 washes but is still packet fresh. But I wonder how long the anti-bacterial effect lasts.

Overall:
    I would switch from 2XU to these. Just because they are tougher wearing and I am very destructive on gear in general. But I would keep an old pair of a light brand for warm climates. 4 out of five.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

::::2XU:::: - an alternative view

I've had a pair for a few years.

Fitting:
    Terrible fit, poor waistband. Feel extremely uncomfortable

Thermal:
    Overly hot. Too thick.

Compression:
    Poor compression, useless as a recovery garment, barely useable for training in.

Performance:
    Hindered rather than aided training. Had no post-session recovery uses.

Cross-purpose:
    ??

Durability:
    Seams fell apart within weeks, now utterly destroyed.

Overall:
    1/5 wouldn't recommend them to anyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 390 ✭✭RJC

Are we talking about compression recovery tights or ones for running in?

I had heard that the Zoot recovery ones (they have a foot strap) are the dog's b*****ks but at 150 a pop you'd want to really need them.

• Advertisement

I never liked foot straps. I find they roll after a few washes and irate me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭wizwill

here a decent podcast discussing scientific findings behind compression tights

http://foreverfitness.libsyn.com/index.php?post_id=529001

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Poncherello

I have a pair CW-X shorts. I find them excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭thirstywork

Tunney=Mr Positive

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭TheRoomWrecker

Tunney=Mr Positive

haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Any chance of getting the promised review of the skins?

::::::::::::: SKINZ ::::::::::::::::::::::::

Type 1: Sport tight (primary use for training in but works for recovery too)

Fitting:
    Excellent.

Thermal:
    Good for running in, not too thick not to thin. Maybe a little on the light side.

Compression:
    Very good, a nice snug feeling of support around the quads and hamstrings, calves a little less so but then there is less to compress.

Performance:
    Excellent, I have significantly less issues when running in them

Cross-purpose:
    ??

Durability:
    Very good. Have my pair at least 3 years. Maybe a slight reduction in compression but still usable

Overall:
    4.5/5 0.5 deducted cause you look completely queer wearing them.

::::::::::::: SKINZ ::::::::::::::::::::::::

Type 2: Travel, recovery tight (primary use for recovery, foot loop would making running in them painful)

Fitting:
    Excellent.

Thermal:
    Can be worn under trousers without too much of an issue.

Compression:
    Excellent, works absolute wonders for recovery. Compression is a little more than the sport version.

Performance:
    Fantastic, I live in mine. Wore mine for most of last week actually.

Cross-purpose:
    ??

Durability:
    I have two pairs. One got a slight tear near a seam but that was after two years hard usage. Sleeping in them a bit as well. Easily repaired and still going

Overall:
    5.0/5.0

:::::::::::: SKINS :::::::::::::::::::

I own two pairs of recovery tights, one pair of sport tights, one pair of sport shorts and a sport top. I would whole heartedly recommend the tights and shorts to everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭stevie_b

i have a pair of skins and find them decent. i had a look at the BSC ones over the weekend and they seem excellent.... will prob buy these next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭bourne99

I will never wear tights.

::::Skins::::

Skins is a name we all know from rugby and football. I have never owned a set of skins tights and I was looking forward to testing them. Sorry it took awhile but I wanted to wear all the tights a fair bit to test them properly. Anyway here it is.

Fitting:
    The fit was grand but I got a size smaller than my height and weight measurements on the box recommended and it fitted better. The waist band was more comfortable than the other two sets of tights I tried but it also had no draw string. The draw string makes me feel uncomfortable with the pressure and I also figure if I need to tie a knot in it then the compression effect is long since gone from any garment.

Thermal:
    The thickness felt like a middle ground between the 2XU and BSC tights and we haven’t had the good weather to test them on a fine day but in the wind and light rain they kept me pretty comfortable.

Compression:
    The compression effect felt nice and measured throughout the garment and didn’t wrinkle anywhere unduly. You could felt the compression without it ever feeling too much, meaning for me it felt ideal.

Performance:
    I found no real difference in my running times with any of the garments but most of the science claims are in the recovery so in that respect this set of tights did its job.

Cross-purpose:
    I took the Skins cycling and they were perfect except for the yellow stitching which meant that I looked like an injured rugby player. J Seriously, I would have no problem investing in another pair of Skins.

Durability:
    The Skins have had 3-4 washes and are pretty much intact. Previous Skins garments I have had in the past would have started to lose their compression by this stage but not these tights. I will know in a few months which of the tights hold up the longest to the most battering as I have never been known to be light on gear.

Overall:
    Four out of five.

I almost forgot. Which set would I buy?? Personally the BSC felt the best compression and I would probably go for them. The 2XU were probably what I would use to race in or do activities other than running in. And the Skins would be the all rounder but I wait to see the life span on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 ludzer

I'll give me 2 cents worth....
    I use the Body Science tights for recovery and find them excelent, comfortable and hard-wearing.

After a 20 mile run I throw them on, wear them over night and the legs feel 100% the next day and I'm no elite athlete (yet :D)

I'd highly recommend these.

(Also use bsc vest while cycling and running thumbs up here!)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 colinactiveage

I have a pair of 2XU and BSc (BodyScience) compression tights. As much as I like 2XU gear, I would have to give the BSc tights the edge. I had checked out their website ( http://www.bodyscience.com.au/ ) and been very impressed with how many professional athletes from many sports wear BSc gear. I'm not surprised that the "thorn test" mentioned in the original post had no impact on the BSc tights. BSc clothing is huge amongst Rubgy players down under and I imagine that is partly responsible for the material being so resistant to damage. Unlike a lot of other brands that change shape with repeated washing, the BSc feel like new every time. I think this factor is overlooked far too often when comparing compression gear. If you get the correct size to begin with it should remain the right size. The BSc tights look very well too so for the fashion conscious there great too. The most important thing I found however is that my leg muscles are not as sore after really tough sessions that normally would leave me stuggling down stairs. My vote would be for BSc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Anyone (women :D) have Vizion Powerlite tights? Would you recommend them?

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭domino123

hi guys i know this thread is very old but im lookin to buy a pair of half quad bsc shorts......where would be the best (cheapest) place to buy them?
    thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

did any one try normal ted socks for recovery purposes

Advertisement