Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New PC

• 29-09-2009 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Ok, so i just bought a new mini pc from Dell.

Specs:

Intel® Core™ 2 Quad-Core Q8300 Processor (2.50GHz, 4MB cache, 1333MHz FSB)

Dell ST2310 23" Full HD Widescreen Monitor

8GB Dual Channel DDR2 800MHz Memory

2TB (2X1TB) 7200rpm SATA Hard Drive - Dual HDD Config

512MB ATI® Radeon™ HD 4350 graphics card

Total was £950.34 inc. VAT & DELIV

A few questions though. What is the best graphics card i can hope for for around £300?
    I might be being a bit thick, but since it is a mini tower and the components are closer together, does this mean the system will run at a warmer temperature? If so, is there anything i can do to cool it down a bit?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=498843

If you can stretch your budget and your PSU can take it,The new 5 Series are very good preformers.Mini tower an Dell usually equates to hot hot hot though :p

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Obsidian

Lol yeah, i thought as much.
    Try getting an 8 gig quad core beast for much less though!

That looks pretty damn sweet, i think i may be able to stretch that little extra ;)

Yeah,it's not a bad prebuilt.forgot to mention the 5850 is quite a long card,about 10'' so if you decide to pick it up make sure it will fit :)

That is a little chunky, i'll have to check that out. I don't actually set eyes on my new pc until the 12th october, then i'll have no internet while i move house.

I'll have to check it out, finding cards for mini's can be a pain in the arse at times!

I know what you mean,also you can cool your CPU a lot better with an aftermarket heatsink

• Advertisement

I'm now hanging my head in shame. Really should have thought of that!

Do you have any experience with them/know a reputable place to get them?

Depends on your budget,I have a Thermalright IFX-14 (check out my thread about it in the modxin section here) but you need a huge case (I have a HAF 922) and it's expensive (cost me about 95 euro for the HSF and fans).A good budget cooler Is the xigmatek dark knight that about 40 euro.Check out komplett.ie for a nice selection of heatsinks.pick one that you like and I'll let you know if it's a good'un :D

I'm liking the look of the dark knight there. Not least because the one i have in my laptop sounds like my phone!

I was thinking about a case mod, but this will be my first half-decent system, so it's not the best to start out on. I've only ever modded laptops before, so desktops are still a myth to me yet!

I think i'll probably go for the Dark Knight. Thanks a lot for the advice dude, very helpful!

No problem.Just make sure to mesure your case before you order the heatsinks.the dark knight is fairly big.also,don't forget to order some thermal paste too,most heatsinks include some but it's usually rubbish lol

Advertisement