Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hot Vodka as a Hot Whiskey replacement?

Options
  • 29-09-2009 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

I have a cough and a sore throat, I have often tried a Hot whiskey for this type of thing but since I have no whiskey I was wondering would vodka do the same job?

I assume it's just something to do with the alcohol that helps your cough, I'm not sure though. I might even throw in a bit of orange juice to ease the painful taste!

Anyone any thoughts?

P.S. Not sure where I should have put this thread, if I'm wrong, sorry!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

You could add a measure to a hot coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭hairyleprechaun

Not a big fan of coffee!
    Why do you suggest though, is it just to mask the taste of the vodka?

I'd knock the vodka back straight before I'd chance the coffee. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

Maybe put a drop of vodka in a fruit tea?

Think I was given that in Lithuania once

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

if you have some rum/bacardi try some that in your coffee.

Failing that .. make a dash to your local office/ supermarket and pick up some whiskey/whisky

Well Vodka's kinda flavourless as far as I know. I don't know much about Vodka so there's probably some fantastic ones out there that taste scrumptious on their own.

Add some hot water to a measure and see what happens.

I only suggested coffee cause hot whiskey and Irish coffee both have whiskey and hot water. A drop of vodka to a cup an tae might be nice.

The cheapest 70cl bottle of whiskey you can get is Dunphy's @ €20.

• Advertisement

Alan Rouge wrote: »
    A drop of vodka to a cup an tae might be nice.

That doesn't sound too bad, I might give that a go. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

I'd like to know how that turned out....I'm not feeling sick with a sore throat or anything, but mixing two of my favourite beverages sounds like a beautiful, wondrous thing :)

It was grand. I couldn't really taste the vodka, I might not have put in enough though. I suppose I'll try it again with more.

Feckin sore throat keeps comin and goin...

Vodka doesn't really have a taste.

Alan Rouge wrote: »
    Vodka doesn't really have a taste.

Really? I always get a taste of alcohol when I drink it!

• Advertisement

Sorry I should've said flavour

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭theparish

Cough and sore throat are bacterial infections.Whiskey helps keep you warm and sleep.I recommend Jameson.

Nah, Jameson isn't the best in a hot whiskey. Crested Ten maybe.

I prefer Powers. Tullamore Dew is good. You could use a scottish whiskey as well, either a blend or a single malt would do. Depending on your ratios you're still going to get a lot of the flavour of the whiskey in your drink.

Nothing wrong with Jameson though if that's what you want. Try to look at a hot whiskey as just a way to prepare a whiskey drink. I thik there's a "Dunphys" whiskey that's essentially just for Irish coffees and that. It's the cheapest nastiest stuff you can get. Loaded with caramel though.

Advertisement