Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about RAM

Options
  • 29-09-2009 9:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭

I'm looking into getting a Dell Studio XPS with the i7 - 920

But anyway concerning RAM I'm a bit confused. Which would be the faster option 6144MB (6x1024) 1067MHz DDR3 Tri Channel or the 8192MB (4x1024,2x2048) 1067MHz DDR3 Dual Channel.

I first thought the 8GB would be the best option but have been checking it up lately and found out that Tri Channel is the fastest option.

So would the 6GB Tri channel be better than the 8GB Dual Channel?

Feel free to move if in the wrong section mods. Not quite sure

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Farcear

i7-920 only supports Tri Channel memory, so get your memory in sets of 3: 6144MB (6x1024)

Dell should not even have Dual Channel as an option here!!!

EDIT: By the way, if you're buying in i7-920 system from Dell, I would reckon you're going to be spending in the region of €1,000. I can guarantee you at least a €200 saving if you build this yourself.

EDIT 2: Actually, the system doesn't seem that overpriced; Dell seem to have a lot of discounts at the moment. :) I still don't like the low frequency RAM with unknown latency (CL9?) and the inability to get a ATI HD4870/4890 upgrade instead of an nVidia card.

EDIT 3: Realised that I was looking in the Business section where VAT & Shipping are not included in price. It is overpriced. ^.^'

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Honestly, Farcear. Questioning the wisdom of bashing Dell?! You should have known they were overpriced all along! :P

Random image, ignore the graphics card if not gaming:

HWVS290909.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭The Frayed Ends

Farcear wrote: »
    i7-920 only supports Tri Channel memory, so get your memory in sets of 3: 6144MB (6x1024)

Dell should not even have Dual Channel as an option here!!!

EDIT: By the way, if you're buying in i7-920 system from Dell, I would reckon you're going to be spending in the region of €1,000. I can guarantee you at least a €200 saving if you build this yourself.

EDIT 2: Actually, the system doesn't seem that overpriced; Dell seem to have a lot of discounts at the moment. :) I still don't like the low frequency RAM with unknown latency (CL9?) and the inability to get a ATI HD4870/4890 upgrade instead of an nVidia card.

EDIT 3: Realised that I was looking in the Business section where VAT & Shipping are not included in price. It is overpriced. ^.^'

Yeah I know that if I built it myself it would be cheaper. But the problem there being I don't want to risk building it myself as for most things I wouldn't have a clue what to do.

And concerning the RAM Ive been looking into it more and ive seen some benchmarks and it would seem dual channel works with the processor.
    So with this in mind that dual channel would work. It still would be best to go for the 6GB tri channel and not the 8GB dual?

Thanks for the reply

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

from the bit I've read, there is no real advantage of faster ddr3 on an x58 board but the latency is more important.

Advertisement