If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

42'' plasma. What type?????

Options
  • 29-09-2009 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭

Hi guys,
    Was thinking of changing my current 32'' philips lcd tv to a plasma 42''. I was planing on spending between 500 and 700 euro but dont know what type.
    It usage would be mixed,ie:soaps,movies,sport(alot of golf,soccer) and my xbox 360. Tv channels would be viewed on Sky +.
    From searching through previous posts i have seen that John has recommended the LG42PQ6000 a few times. Do you think that this would be suitable for my needs? If not could you name a few so that i can do some research on them.
    Thanks in Advance

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

jod1983 wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    Was thinking of changing my current 32'' philips lcd tv to a plasma 42''. I was planing on spending between 500 and 700 euro but dont know what type.
    It usage would be mixed,ie:soaps,movies,sport(alot of golf,soccer) and my xbox 360. Tv channels would be viewed on Sky +.
    From searching through previous posts i have seen that John has recommended the LG42PQ6000 a few times. Do you think that this would be suitable for my needs? If not could you name a few so that i can do some research on them.
    Thanks in Advance

Hi Jod1983,

Thanks a million for the post,

Sourcing a Plasma is unfortunately getting more difficult at the moment - we do have the Sammy PS42A416 which is available at just €469.99 however if you are still committed to plasma I would still recommend either of the LG models the 42PQ3000 at €559.99 or the 42PQ6000 at €669.99 - for the money I still really don't think that there is a better looking plasma than the 42PQ6000 - however whilst I am still a plasma fan - don't close your eyes to LCD as some of the latest LCD's are really excellent now and for instance the excellent FULL HD 42PFL5604h is now available at €799.99 and when you deduct your Boardies Philips Shop 10% discount you can get this at just €719.99 and again this is a full HD, MPEG4 model with USB and PC input.

Anyway enough rambling - keep me posted if we can assist in any way,

Thanks again,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭jod1983

Hi Jod1983,

Thanks a million for the post,

Sourcing a Plasma is unfortunately getting more difficult at the moment - we do have the Sammy PS42A416 which is available at just €469.99 however if you are still committed to plasma I would still recommend either of the LG models the 42PQ3000 at €559.99 or the 42PQ6000 at €669.99 - for the money I still really don't think that there is a better looking plasma than the 42PQ6000 - however whilst I am still a plasma fan - don't close your eyes to LCD as some of the latest LCD's are really excellent now and for instance the excellent FULL HD 42PFL5604h is now available at €799.99 and when you deduct your Boardies Philips Shop 10% discount you can get this at just €719.99 and again this is a full HD, MPEG4 model with USB and PC input.

Anyway enough rambling - keep me posted if we can assist in any way,

Thanks again,

John Mc & Crew

Hi John,
    Thanks for the quick reply this morning.
    Dont know much about TVs(only from reading reviews) but why are plasmas getting more difficult to come by?Popularity? I was reading a review from another boardie who supplied this link www.plasma-lcd-facts.co.uk Is it a load of b*ll**k or is there some thruth in it.
    Also in reviewing the 42pq6000 i see it has no 1080p. Would this have any impact in the type of viewing i would have.
    If not could you price this please.
    Looking forward to hearing from you.

Oh, best of luck with the stock-take.

Hi John,
    Thanks for the quick reply this morning.
    Dont know much about TVs(only from reading reviews) but why are plasmas getting more difficult to come by?Popularity? I was reading a review from another boardie who supplied this link www.plasma-lcd-facts.co.uk Is it a load of b*ll**k or is there some thruth in it.
    Also in reviewing the 42pq6000 i see it has no 1080p. Would this have any impact in the type of viewing i would have.
    If not could you price this please.
    Looking forward to hearing from you.

Oh, best of luck with the stock-take.

Jod,

thanks for the post & for the comments about the stocktake - a 4 O'clock morning followed by another 4am morning on Thursday night Friday morning at the What Hi-fi Awards do - as you can imagine I'm only just in recovery now :confused:

Anyway - yep the PQ6000 is not 1080P yet it is still a really excellent TV for €669 and beats many 1080P sets hands down!

The main reason that Plasma is getting more difficult to source is that very few manufacturers are still producing plasma as it is more expensive to produce and the panel failure rate at manufacturing stage is higher than LCD.

The bottom line as with all competing formats and technologies is that both technologies have their individual advantages and there are good and bad TV's from both camps - the best advice I could give you is to post in the general HE Forum and see what independent feedback you receive from The Boardies there, most of them are a knowledgable lot (ie not too many loopers!) and they will generally give you a good steer!

ATB,

John Mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭jod1983

Jod,

thanks for the post & for the comments about the stocktake - a 4 O'clock morning followed by another 4am morning on Thursday night Friday morning at the What Hi-fi Awards do - as you can imagine I'm only just in recovery now :confused:

Anyway - yep the PQ6000 is not 1080P yet it is still a really excellent TV for €669 and beats many 1080P sets hands down!

The main reason that Plasma is getting more difficult to source is that very few manufacturers are still producing plasma as it is more expensive to produce and the panel failure rate at manufacturing stage is higher than LCD.

The bottom line as with all competing formats and technologies is that both technologies have their individual advantages and there are good and bad TV's from both camps - the best advice I could give you is to post in the general HE Forum and see what independent feedback you receive from The Boardies there, most of them are a knowledgable lot (ie not too many loopers!) and they will generally give you a good steer!

ATB,

John Mc

Hi again John
    After hours of googleing, review reading ect i have decided on the Panasonic TXP42G10B @ £749.95 or the Panasonic TXP42S10B @ £689.95 on your UK website.
    1.Do you stock these tv's or can you get a hold of one for me?
    2.Can you deliver and at what cost? If not i can call to your store.

I looked at these tv's today in Soundstore Cork and was told that they are the best in the business at the moment. What do you think?
    Regards
    jod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 realcavanman

Hi Jod,John
    I also am looknig to get a 42" screen, prob a plasma. I need one for a room at the back of a pub that has a pool table. It would be used for showing sport (mainly Soccer/GAA)and music (VH1 etc) so would be best to have a decent screen and sound. At the moment i have Sky+ not HD, in the bar area and will be taking a feed from there. I suppose best to future proof and get a screen that is Full HD. Would be nice to be able to show stuff from a PC as well, maybe pictures from a party night or ads for upcoming events.
    Computer Shopper gives the Panasonic Viera TX-P42G10B a 5/5 and best Buy, only to say 'it doesn't upscale Freeview broadcasts very well' (which i can get here on the border) Is this a big problem?
    'What Plasma and LCD' gives it a 4/5 stating 'not particularly accomplished at re-scaling standard definition'
    Maybe your Philips FULL HD 42PFL5604h is better suited?
    Like the sound of the LG PQ6000 but it's not 1080P, maybe it will soon?
    Any advice appreciated.

• Advertisement

Hi again John
    After hours of googleing, review reading ect i have decided on the Panasonic TXP42G10B @ £749.95 or the Panasonic TXP42S10B @ £689.95 on your UK website.
    1.Do you stock these tv's or can you get a hold of one for me?
    2.Can you deliver and at what cost? If not i can call to your store.

I looked at these tv's today in Soundstore Cork and was told that they are the best in the business at the moment. What do you think?
    Regards
    jod

Jod,

thanks a million for the post and yes the Panasonics are excellent TV's - we only stock the UK variants of these therefore we are not shipping them at the moment from Belfast - however we are happy to reserve them for you for collection no problem but as above please note that they may not be fully compatiable with the ROI system (especially the system in the people's republic!).

You should have a look at the October issue of What Hifi which reviews all the popular 40-42" TV's LCD & Plasma - including the Panasonic TXP42S10 - if you want a copy please just drop me a line to johnmc@richersounds.ie and we will pop you a copy in the post.

Thanks again and drop me a line if I can assist in any way,

ATB,

John Mc & Crew

• Registered Users Posts: 14 sandycove123

Jod,

thanks a million for the post and yes the Panasonics are excellent TV's - we only stock the UK variants of these therefore we are not shipping them at the moment from Belfast - however we are happy to reserve them for you for collection no problem but as above please note that they may not be fully compatiable with the ROI system (especially the system in the people's republic!).

You should have a look at the October issue of What Hifi which reviews all the popular 40-42" TV's LCD & Plasma - including the Panasonic TXP42S10 - if you want a copy please just drop me a line to johnmc@richersounds.ie and we will pop you a copy in the post.

Thanks again and drop me a line if I can assist in any way,

ATB,

John Mc & Crew

Hi John,

Can you explain what "may not be fully compatiable with the ROI system" means?

Hi John,

Can you explain what "may not be fully compatiable with the ROI system" means?

Sandy,

thanks for the post.

Panasonic uniquely make a specific range of TV's specifically for the ROI and their UK TV's lack features which make them work fully in the ROI.

The main omission is that the UK versions are UHF only and do not have a VHF tuner onboard.

On another and possibly slightly more serious issue some UK versions are equipped with an MPEG4 tuner however during engineering trials in the ROI over the past 12 months there have been several issues with their compatability with the MPEG4 transmissions - until these are fully put to bed we won't ship Pana to ROI addresses - however Customers are welcome to collect from Belfast and we will of course alert them to the potential issues - we may being over cautious - but rather that that a huge row in 4 years when someone change one row of code in the MPEG4 towers and all the Richer Sounds Panasonics don't work any more ( Hey I'm not that Brave!)

Apologies for the inconvenience - however the policy is intended to prevent poor Customer service in the future & not to annoy!

Keep me posted if I can assist,

ATB,

John Mc

• Registered Users Posts: 14 sandycove123

Hi John,

many thanks for the reply. Please excuse my ignorance but I am non technical.

We have analogue cable service from UPC. They say that they will have digital in the area in Feb 2010. If we get this TV from you, will it pick up our channels on analogue or do we need the Irish model to do this?

Many thanks for the help.
    Sandy,

thanks for the post.

Panasonic uniquely make a specific range of TV's specifically for the ROI and their UK TV's lack features which make them work fully in the ROI.

The main omission is that the UK versions are UHF only and do not have a VHF tuner onboard.

On another and possibly slightly more serious issue some UK versions are equipped with an MPEG4 tuner however during engineering trials in the ROI over the past 12 months there have been several issues with their compatability with the MPEG4 transmissions - until these are fully put to bed we won't ship Pana to ROI addresses - however Customers are welcome to collect from Belfast and we will of course alert them to the potential issues - we may being over cautious - but rather that that a huge row in 4 years when someone change one row of code in the MPEG4 towers and all the Richer Sounds Panasonics don't work any more ( Hey I'm not that Brave!)

Apologies for the inconvenience - however the policy is intended to prevent poor Customer service in the future & not to annoy!

Keep me posted if I can assist,

ATB,

John Mc

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.