Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

garage / shed

Options
  • 29-09-2009 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

hi just wondering if anyone has any experience or advice to lend on this.

want to build a block shed/garage in the garden about 4.8x3.6m.

wanted to put in a cut or truss roof to use the roof space.

was going to do a cavity wall structure on a concrete slab.

my questions would be :
    on the slab, would 25n20 be ok for this structure, about 150mm.
    = I was going to do a straight slab all round.
    wasnt going to bother putting in footings ? is that silly ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

A slab without footing is perfectly fine for a garage - just thicken up the edges of the slab to support the weight of the walls to about 200/225mm.. a base of 125mm is enough, with a sub-base of at least 150mm.

Also - allow for a control / expansion joint halfway along the length of the 4.8m run. Just wondering - why bother with a cavity wall? Hollowblock would be a lot quicker & easier to construct.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭irelandhouse

A slab without footing is perfectly fine for a garage - just thicken up the edges of the slab to support the weight of the walls to about 200/225mm.. a base of 125mm is enough, with a sub-base of at least 150mm.

Cheers for that

so just to make my dummy's guide!

150 subbase of what would you think ?
    150mm of 25n20 with wire mesh through with 225 deep at edge - how wide should this be ?, 100block+100cavity+100block=300 ?

Also - allow for a control / expansion joint halfway along the length of the 4.8m run. Just wondering - why bother with a cavity wall? Hollowblock would be a lot quicker & easier to construct.

to be honest I want the option of possibly converting it at some stage,

was going to
    100 block,
    100 cavity,
    membrane
    osb,
    stud,
    plasterboard.

however if im going this far, I would be silly not to insulate the floor.

Cheers for that

so just to make my dummy's guide!

150 subbase of what would you think ?
    150mm of 25n20 with wire mesh through with 225 deep at edge - how wide should this be ?, 100block+100cavity+100block=300 ?

Hoggin, a natural mix of gravel & sand is an ideal material for a sub-base, but you can use crushed stone or brick. Just pour the harcore into the framework, rake it fairly level & tamper it down with a plate compactor (which you can hire) or a heavy balk of timber.

Break an y stubborn lumps with a heavy hammer & fill in any low spots with more hardcore or sharp sand.

The width of the edge should be the same width of the walls it's supporting, so yes, 300mm in your case.

• Advertisement

however if im going this far, I would be silly not to insulate the floor.

True!

True!

thanks again for the replys on that, would you have an recommendations on this for the insulated slab.

for that would you be best to go with the footings around edge?
    hoggins, sand, insuation,slab ?

PM me with your e-mail address & I can send you on a section detail - it would take me a long time to try & explain it!

Advertisement