Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charlie Brooker's GameWipe

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

"Games are shite" - brilliant line. Was a very well put together program.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjFiTd2nmI4

That's part 1/6 up there.

Having the Consolevania lads was a bonus! Miss those guys. Aw.

I agree it didn't really go in depth, more tried to educate the bewildered what each genre was. But that's just Brookers style. He doesn't really tackle the subject material, more it's effects on society or the "idiot public".

Also p*ssed myself laughing when he pauses World At War to grab a coke (ok a diet one!), take a sip, then just resumes the game.........Hmmyes, poignant.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Just watched it.
    Am I the only one who thought he looked like he was gonna get sick during that game-pause?
    Because as "de-sensitized" as games have made me :rolleyes: , seeing him torch a load of soldiers brought a horrid lump to my throat.

Overall, good, cynical program. However, one is enough -- it seems he (like a majority of gamers who don't post in forums, I'd wager) only bothers to play a few genres, hence why, e.g., the beat'em'up & MMORPG bits were so short. And that's fine!
    I'd rather the presenter talks about everything he knows, than half-arse a 6-episode series.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Was this a one off show or is there going to be another episode?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I thought it was a great show. I thought it was hilarious when he was playing wolfenstein and was coming up with background stories for the soldiers before shooting them in the face. :D

What was great about the show is that it was aimed at adults unlike nearly all the other shows that always seem to be aimed at kids.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,437 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Was this a one off show or is there going to be another episode?

One off it seems but I'd expect a small series to be commissioned considering the ratings were excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I'd rather the presenter talks about everything he knows, than half-arse a 6-episode series.

It was just 1 show Kiki, it was just broken up to fit on youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    It was just 1 show Kiki, it was just broken up to fit on youtube.
    I know that, I caught it on the Tee-Vee! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Bumping this, only heard about it last night and watched it.

Playlist link : http://www.youtube.com/user/SirBoho#grid/user/7A0A4BECFBB003D4

Some interesting points are made, but overall it's a bit of a sarcastic look at gaming, but you can't really argue with it. The OP of the thread expounds on the points I would've made. I love how it showcases the idiotic scaremongering from the media, although I would've liked a professional tout gaming's merits. It also shows a distinctly british slant on videogames, which is really enjoyable to see. w00t Big Boy Barry!!

Unfortunately they don't explain why games are awesome, in how a more interactive medium can be revered more than a passive one like TV and reading. Overall, worth a look-see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Newswipe is even better if you havent seen it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 RustyXIV

Caught it a while back. Charlie Brooker is hillarious, and his opinions on gaming are from actual knowledge and thought - not just compiled from ignorance or the internet and for that I applauded his take on video game culture.

Advertisement