Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice: AKL to LHR, then ...

Options
  • 29-09-2009 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭

I'm figuring some of you have done this journey or similar, and might be able to advise or tell me somewhere better to ask:

Mr Just and I are shortly heading to NZ for a wedding. On the way back, we leave Auckland at 6:15am, and arrive in Heathrow 48 hours later, at 6:15 on Saturday morning.

I have convinced him that I we won't be in any state to carry on to his sister in Exeter without stopping to sleep somewhere. Now I have to figure out where. I'm guessing that we'll need to book two nights in somewhere that does 24-hour check-in, and warn them that we won't be arriving until 7.30am or suchlike. Any suggestions where/how? I don't want to pay a fortune, but OTOH will need somewhere close, clean and secure. Any suggestions?

Also, along the way we'll be getting to Sydney at 8am, and flying out again at 6pm, which I guess means needing to be back in the airport by 3-4pm. Any suggestions re what we could do for entertainment without too much risk of missing the flight?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭delricyo

JustMary wrote: »

Mr Just and I are shortly heading to NZ for a wedding. On the way back, we leave Auckland at 6:15am, and arrive in Heathrow 48 hours later, at 6:15 on Saturday morning.

I have convinced him that I we won't be in any state to carry on to his sister in Exeter without stopping to sleep somewhere. Now I have to figure out where. I'm guessing that we'll need to book two nights in somewhere that does 24-hour check-in, and warn them that we won't be arriving until 7.30am or suchlike. Any suggestions where/how? I don't want to pay a fortune, but OTOH will need somewhere close, clean and secure. Any suggestions?

Also, along the way we'll be getting to Sydney at 8am, and flying out again at 6pm, which I guess means needing to be back in the airport by 3-4pm. Any suggestions re what we could do for entertainment without too much risk of missing the flight?

Hi Just,
    Cant say ive had to stay somewhere in London before heading to Exeter before :)
    But I have done the Dublin-SYD and back route twice before while only stopping in airports.
    In July this year I did AKL-SYD-SIN-LHR-DUB. Whole journey was nearly 40 hours without leaving any airport. You will need to fall into a bed by the time you reach LHR. Probably look for something at the airport ??
    For the SYD stopover. I had 6 hours there on the way home this year. Decided not to clear immigration as it would have used a lot of my time. Instead spent my time in the airport. How sad :p

Remember if you are British, you will have to go through immigration and quarantine to get into Sydney for those few hours. If you decide its worth it - just catch the main sights. Get the train straight to circular quay to see the harbour bridge and opera house. Pop to the top of the sydney tower for some photos of the city. Get a bus out to Bondi for a few more photos !!
    You should see a fair bit in the few hours you have there

Advertisement