Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TEFL course

• 29-09-2009 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

am looking to do tefl so can teach english abroad.

could anyone suggest the best course to do and where it is, cause i have been looking around and have found loads of courses some going on for two,ten and twenty days, so could anyone suggest the best.

thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭madziuda

CELTA is your best best

The course is offered by a couple of institutions in Ireland, most notably by UCC and International House Dublin : http://www.ihdublin.com/ihdublin/Main/CELTA.htm

I'd also suggest going through this thread : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055273849

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭cavanmaniac

I'd second the above.

If you're serious about teaching and want the best preparation you can get, do the CELTA course mentioned above. Also, if you look on the www.acels.ie site you will find details of colleges offering the Irish equivalent of this course, the Acels CELT. It's fairly similar to the CELTA in structure, duration and content, although some feel one qualification is better than the other in terms of prestige.

The Acels CELT courses are a little bit cheaper as well, which may be a factor for you. I've just completed one and found it very intense and demanding but very worthwhile and the six hours of teaching practice give you a decent preparation for teaching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭madziuda

It's fairly similar to the CELTA in structure, duration and content, although some feel one qualification is better than the other in terms of prestige.

The problem with the ACELS course is that hardly anyone has heard of it outside of Ireland. Thus, if you're applying for a position in, say, France, chances are you're going to be overlooked in favour of someone with CELTA.
    Yes, you are paying extra for the prestige attached to the course's name, but when jobs are scarce prestige is what may just get you a job :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

madziuda wrote: »
    Yes, you are paying extra for the prestige attached to the course's name, but when jobs are scarce prestige is what may just get you a job :)

+1 Readily identifiable by prospective employers which can be the difference between your application going in the bin or them picking up the phone to call you.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭cavanmaniac

I agree with the above two posters that CELTA is the internationally 'recognised' certificate, the one they all know, but just for the OP's information, I do notice that most places advertising jobs abroad seek a CELTA/TESOL or equivalent qualification, for which I assume the Acels certificate will stand up comfortably.

Not saying that CELTA doesn't have the edge in brand recognition, but I'd hope that if you point out when applying how you've done a Dept of Education-recognised, 120+ hour course with teaching practice, then they wouldn't chuck it in the bin. Else I've put meself through hell for nothing!!:D

Good luck with your choice anyway OP.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

I've been having a look with www.onlinetefl.com and looking at some sheet I have by i-to-i, it gives a list of places you can do it without having a degree first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭Rosita

Tristram wrote: »
    +1 Readily identifiable by prospective employers which can be the difference between your application going in the bin or them picking up the phone to call you.

Given that Ireland is one of the Anglophone countries and is churning out CELT holders by the new time I'd be surprised if such a Department of Education qualification is still unidentifiable by prospective employers. They'd need to be fairly obscure employers not to have heard of it at this stage I would think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

Rosita wrote: »
    Given that Ireland is one of the Anglophone countries and is churning out CELT holders by the new time I'd be surprised if such a Department of Education qualification is still unidentifiable by prospective employers. They'd need to be fairly obscure employers not to have heard of it at this stage I would think.

Nope. Nobody in my part of the world knows the CELT (which, just to be clear, is good). They all know CELTA. Hell, a lot of people won't even know where Ireland is :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Reginald P. DuM

Hello,

I am giving serious thought to taking up TEFL training also and am wondering if anyone maybe able to advise me. Italy is my country of preference and after all the research I have done the crowd below are the leading candidates. I am hoping someone has direct or indirect experience of them and can tell me what they are like. I don't live near any training school in Ireland so I would have accomodation costs here anyway so why not get over and get stuck into the Italian culture from the off is my logic. The 4 weeks plus roof comes in at 1700 euro, saucy but I can afford it. The time in Nov-Dec can also be arranged. Anyone heard of them?

Thanks in advance,

http://www.teflcorp.com/tefl-florence-italy.htm

Advertisement