Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extension letters taken in with applications

Options
  • 30-09-2009 12:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭

Here's a question for people who've already handed in their applications. I handed in mine this morning, no real surprises except that he also took my extension letters. Thought it odd at the time but wasn't in the best of health so I didn't argue. I don't expect to land in trouble over it as the local cops aren't bad and I'll direct them towards him if they ask. Just wondering though if anyone or everyone elses letters had also been asked for?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Meyer

Got a call today to bring mine in tomorrow, was told they were needed for the application (I sent in two weeks ago.).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭ranger4

Meyer wrote: »
    Got a call today to bring mine in tomorrow, was told they were needed for the application (I sent in two weeks ago.).

Thorght extension Letters were suposed to be used as proof of Licenced ownership especialy when transporting firearms, Make sure you make a copy of extension Letters before handing any to the gardi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Your licence is invalid without them, I thought :eek:

I gave in photocopies of extension letters but wasn't asked to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Yes I also was under the impression that you showed the letter if asked had you a license. But, I doubt that anyone will tell me my license is invalid as "the system" will know I have an extension up to 31/10/09. I did ask him what I was supposed to do in a case where I'm asked to produce a license and he said to direct any Garda towards him in that instance. How it will work when I'm buying ammo tonight, we'll see!

I feel the real fun and games are yet to come. He told me that they had not even been briefed on the new system as yet, I don't know how representative that is of the country as a whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

The extension letter states that 'This notification should be appended to your current firearm certificate and carried with you at all times .....'. So you should not hand in your extension! Most of the Guards are as much in the dark about the new system as we are so I'm sure both sides will have to cut a bit of slack.

• Advertisement

Ahh.

Right. I'll have to ring the main station today so.

johngalway wrote: »
    Ahh.

Right. I'll have to ring the main station today so.

Sounds like gards are totally in the dark, what a **** up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭iwsf

what i do is make copies of everything, that is extension letter, deer hunting license etc ...
    I gave copies to the garda with my application.
    Without the letter i doubt you will get ammos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭pedroeibar

Here's a question for people who've already handed in their applications. I handed in mine this morning, no real surprises except that he also took my extension letters. Thought it odd at the time but wasn't in the best of health so I didn't argue. I don't expect to land in trouble over it as the local cops aren't bad and I'll direct them towards him if they ask. Just wondering though if anyone or everyone elses letters had also been asked for?

Gave in my FCA1s on the 17th. Offered to leave my old licenses as they had Pulse IDs, etc. on them. Sgt. said good idea, I'll take a copy of them and your photoID just in case. Gave all back. (Still have not received a receipt for the FCA1 though.:()
    Get them back, what will you produce if you want to buy ammo?
    Rs
    P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

they are just ready to input data into the system. possibly next week

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭iwsf

Thx Jwshooter, does that mean the 3 months they have before giving us a response will start from the time they enter us in the system ?
    I gave my application 4 weeks ago.

pedroeibar wrote: »
    what will you produce if you want to buy ammo?
    Rs
    P.

It hadn't actually crossed my mind (at the time). I still have my old licenses that expired in July. I'll call into the main station today as I've to go to the bank anyway.

He asked for them specially when we were going through all the forms. Another bug to iron out :)

Got to love Ireland.

I rang the main station, explained the situation to the Garda on the desk. My local Garda wasn't in or contactable. He said off you go and buy your ammo and the dealer should know by now that the licenses have been extended, any problems and you're to call us in here and we'll sort it out for you.

Here's hoping it works out that easy :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

This just goes from bad to worse. The dealer would be totally justified in refusing a sale if a licence/extenstion cannot be produced.

Not a lot I can do today though, if I call into the station I'll meet the same Garda who's already said on the phone what he'll tell me in person. If I could reach my own Garda things would be fine, but he's not on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭PJ Hunter

Got to love Ireland.

I rang the main station, explained the situation to the Garda on the desk. My local Garda wasn't in or contactable. He said off you go and buy your ammo and the dealer should know by now that the licenses have been extended, any problems and you're to call us in here and we'll sort it out for you.

Here's hoping it works out that easy :D

some of local farming lads were wondering why renewals havent arrived yet. explained whats involved, there answer was, let them call to the house with the forms :eek: maybe they have it right:o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

FO photo copied my extention letters to put with the application forms.

Any one get word back yet about paying for the licenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭gentleman jim

Meyer wrote: »

im only after getting the same phone call and my application is in 3 weeks or more

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Terrier

Had a meeting with my local sgt and another officer who will also be doing renewals last week. I was representing my local gun club. Good meeting spelling out issues from both sides.

Result, this week was letter was sent to every firearm's holder in my district (off which there is a lot)outlining what is required when renewing it also included the FAC1 form.

Basically states
    - Must apply 3 months before you extension runs out (news to me)
    - Separate form for every firearm
    - Photo for every form
    - No license fee at this time
    - vaild reason for firearm- proof of membership required if a club\land details
    - complete section 2.3
    -complete section 2.5 if a new applicant, provide proof
    - firearms for destruction

Good to see the gardai being proactive.

Did my own renewals last week with no issues at all, pleasure to deal with. :D and extension letters were not required.

Terrier wrote: »
    Had a meeting with my local sgt and another officer who will also be doing renewals last week. I was representing my local gun club. Good meeting spelling out issues from both sides.

Result, this week was letter was sent to every firearm's holder in my district (off which there is a lot)outlining what is required when renewing it also included the FAC1 form.

Basically states
    - Photo for every form
    - complete section 2.3

Did my own renewals last week with no issues at all, pleasure to deal with. :D and extension letters were not required.

Was told not to bother applying untill september as local gard wasnt ready to accept my applications untill then, my extension runs out during october and i visited him during august, so much for applying 3 months before extension runs out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

total lack of information on there behalf. you can apply up to the 31 of oct but as a guideline you should not leave it till the last week.

they really have made themselves look like amateurs ,not the professional police force "we pay for".

i rang my local cop shot last week ,any news tom ? ya were getting another pay cut ! was my reply .

the blue flu could it be similar to the swine flu

Terrier wrote: »

Basically states
    - Photo for every form
    - complete section 2.3

I've no problem with any of those save for the first one, applying three months before the deadline. No one who's license is up 31/10/09 could apply three months before that date while also giving complete and full information on the application form. That deadline is simply bollocks, if they had their act in order they'd have a leg to stand on but they didn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

I've no problem with any of those save for the first one, applying three months before the deadline. No one who's license is up 31/10/09 could apply three months before that date while also giving complete and full information on the application form. That deadline is simply bollocks, if they had their act in order they'd have a leg to stand on but they didn't.

I have 4 firearms, according to the Park I have 3!!
    And one of them is a6.5 not a 308. I have called to local boyos 8 times to no avail!

I expire 31 Oct!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭pedroeibar

...........I expire 31 Oct!!

Is there still time for a wake? Hope your will is made!:D:D
    Rs
    P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

pedroeibar wrote: »
    Is there still time for a wake? Hope your will is made!:D:D
    Rs
    P.
    Modern medicine eh? They can even tell you the day now ;)

Hopefully I won't expire on the 31st, but my extensions expire on that date. Must go visit my local copper before then.

Ho hum, and the rollercoaster goes on and on and on.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭no12

Just heard some good news with regard to extension letters as previously thought that people could not get there extension letter amended if they were to purchase a new firearm. There was a meeting held today and the commissioner has made a concession today that your license extension can be used in the same way as your license for exchanging guns

Advertisement