Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pool Tactics

• 30-09-2009 12:42am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭

Every time I play one of my mates in pool, he goes mad when I play a defensive shot rather than just breaking into the bunch. Maybe this comes from playing snooker, but he says it's severely frowned upon to play these kind of shots. I've beat him when I do this and was wondering, when there is no pot on, do any other people play defensive shots in pool or just blast them and hope for the best? Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 kevray

i definately think tactics play a huge part in pool as well as snooker. in tournaments i have played when there is nothing on you just try to leave your opponent in such a position so he cannot pot on his next visit or try to block pockets with your own balls so that he cant pot in that pocket. its a silly and naive pool player that blasts balls around hoping for one to go in. wheres the skill?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

I'm forever playing pool in a tactical way when needed to. Playing a lot of snooker just makes you like this I think.

It does drive some people up the wall, but it's certainly not frowned upon. If some more of the top pool players were to play some snooker from time-to-time I think it would definitely improve their win-rate.

The likes of Ronnie O'Sullivan and Steve Davis are great examples when you see them on some of the pool TV tournaments. Infact much of Steves success in 9-ball comes from his tactical mastery. Even with the all out speed play of Tony Drago, he also still knows his safety well.

Anyone can smash balls around.

Advertisement