Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the catch with form factor

Options
  • 30-09-2009 1:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭

Hey guys
    I've been out of the loop as far as proper computers go for a few years, I've been in mac and linux land since core 2 duo became the standard. Now that I have a desk I'm building a machine of my own again for my win/ux needs, but something caught my eye. In the last 2 years I've been hearing a lot about smaller form factors (I think it's down to femto at this stage)... and when I was working in an "IT" job I noticed a lot of thin clients around, and I have a few very small servers of my own, and netbooks are piling up all over the place. This is no news, but I assumed it was a trend.

Now I'm interested in building and overclocking again. So assuming we're staying with >Atom x86, are form factors other than ATX (I suppose μATX is the only other option) worth the time of the home builder who's putting together a machine for the typical gaming/work combination?

I've already bought myself a midi tower anyway, but it would be nice to know why I can't share my desk between my PC and my ashtray collection

Basically, what's the catch? Can microATX pizzaboxes hold a decent graphics card, or a PSU supplying the jiggawatts needed to power one? I'm sure this has been covered before, but search engines hate three letter acronyms (silly given this is the internet)

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

The main issue with mATX is that it's not really a lot smaller than ATX due to that inconvenient "PSU" thingy ;) The ATX ones are big, the CPX ones are huge, and most cases with teeny mATX or TFX PSUs are low-profile so no space for a full-height graphics card. Some cases have tried some creative reorganisations of the internals with mixed success; Google "Sugo SG03" for a case that somehow fits a normal PSU, mATX mobo and full-height cards in a teeny-tiny space, just don't OC that 95W CPU too far in there! :P

With mITX things are even more limited. While there are a few good ones out there (MINIX for AMD, Zotac have an S775 one) there are none for newer Intel CPUs, and there aren't too many cases out there with a performance-level mITX system and full-height card (singular, with mITX!) in mind. Most are home-made jobbies like mine will be once AMD get off their asses and ship new-stepping X3-7*0BEs! although there are a few out there; check out the Sugo SG05 (yes, Silverstone have been busy in this niche ;))

So, summary: small-size is fashionable and practical, shame that the industry hasn't kept up with said fashion :rolleyes:

Advertisement