Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking for good psychological/paranormal thriller...

• 30-09-2009 5:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am looking for somthing similar to Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy that was on PS2 (if anyone remembers it) - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indigo_Prophecy

"Adam Wake" looks like it might be up the right street come Q1 2010, but does anybody know if there was anything relatively recent (<6 months) on 360 that would fall into this category? Ideally something with storyline branching etc...

Do the learned folk of this forum have any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

C.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Onearmedbandit

Alone in the Dark is good and its very cheap at the mo, I seen a second hand one in HMV for around €15.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭RossFixxxed

Dead space is very good, should be cheap.
    Silent Hill 5 is okish, but the no invert on the camera is idiotic.

Didnt' like alone in the dark, nice ideas, but terrible execution imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Onearmedbandit

I agree the execuetion was the best but it had a great storyline.

Dead Space how could i forget. Brilliant action/horror/thriller.

Res 5 as well for the gory stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

Dead space is very good, should be cheap.
    Silent Hill 5 is okish, but the no invert on the camera is idiotic.

Didnt' like alone in the dark, nice ideas, but terrible execution imo.

Isn't Dead Space a sci-fi 1st/3rd person shooter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Get Call of Cthulhu on the Xbox, it's backwards compatable with the 360 and absolutely brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

consultech wrote: »
    Isn't Dead Space a sci-fi 1st/3rd person shooter?

It is, but still pretty scary. Had me jumping out of my seat plenty of times :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Alone in the Dark is good and its very cheap at the mo, I seen a second hand one in HMV for around €15.

http://www.play.com/Games/Xbox360/4-/1011980/AloneInTheDark/Product.html?cur=258

;)

Ordered it two days ago got it today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Smoggy

Im waiting on (and have been for some time) - Alan Wake

http://www.alanwake.co.uk/

Edit :

"the finishing touches on it ready for it's Spring 2010 release"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

Hey

If you are looking for a "good psychological/paranormal thriller...". I'm afraid they're hasn't been a good game in this genre for a long time. Condemed 1 + 2 are ment to be good, but they are a bit more action/ horror, than psychological/paranormal thriller, as are most of the games mentioned above (dead space, resi 5, alone in the dark etc), I don't think these ganes are what you are looking for. I think holding out for "Alan wake" is your best bet. Or if you have a ps3 "Heavy Rain" is also coming out, its from the same studio that made Fahrenheit and it looks quite interesting. So nothin really out at the moment, but "Alan Wake" and "Heavy Rain" soon :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

thorbarry wrote: »
    Hey

If you are looking for a "good psychological/paranormal thriller...". I'm afraid they're hasn't been a good game in this genre for a long time. Condemed 1 + 2 are ment to be good, but they are a bit more action/ horror, than psychological/paranormal thriller, as are most of the games mentioned above (dead space, resi 5, alone in the dark etc), I don't think these ganes are what you are looking for. I think holding out for "Alan wake" is your best bet. Or if you have a ps3 "Heavy Rain" is also coming out, its from the same studio that made Fahrenheit and it looks quite interesting. So nothin really out at the moment, but "Alan Wake" and "Heavy Rain" soon :)

Yeah, it's a bit of a thinly populated area...

Ah yes, Alan Wake. I was saying Adam. I was wondering whey I couldnt find it on gamespot when I went looking for a link. 'Looks like it'll be good alright, pity about the delay though...

• Advertisement

consultech wrote: »
    Yeah, it's a bit of a thinly populated area...

Ah yes, Alan Wake. I was saying Adam. I was wondering whey I couldnt find it on gamespot when I went looking for a link. 'Looks like it'll be good alright, pity about the delay though...

ha, i wasnt actually sure if this game was ever going to be released until i seen some previews recently. I'd also recommend Silent Hill 2, if you had the chance. It is not as action orientated as the other games in the series and it is a really good psychological horror

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Moiph

What about that I Am Alive game? Not sure when its out but it looks good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

calex71 wrote: »
    It is, but still pretty scary. Had me jumping out of my seat plenty of times :eek:

Dead Space is an awesome game. I guess it's kinda paranormal....no, not really. But it's a fantastic survival-horror 3rd Person Shooter.

I know it's Nintendo, but Eternal Darkness : Sanity's Requiem would be worth a look at.

I hear Silent Hill 5 is alright not great, maybe the new Silent Hill (Shattered Memories) for Wii/PS2 might be better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

How about Condemned? I got a loan of it from a friend and so far so good. It's an Xbox Classic game so I'm sure you could pick it up cheap somewhere.

I hated Alone in the Dark. Got it for free with the Xbox 360 and traded it in the next day.

Condemned is pretty excellent. Dead Space is fantastic. Unfortunately there just aren't many good games like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Yeah I'll definitely throw in for Dead space and Condemned. Play both with the lights off and possibly headphones for best effect! Dead space is probably the most efficient mix of action/horror that I've seen recently. RE has completely removed itself from the 'Survival horror' of old I'm afraid but it's still a cracking action game.
    Alone in the dark, as other posters have described had all the intention but the clumsy controls and inundation of glitches completely ruined it for me. I still went ahead and completed it though because it did have some nice set pieces.

What exacly do you do in Condemned? is it a action horror, or psychological? is there much fighting in it,. or does it just terrify you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

thorbarry wrote: »
    What exacly do you do in Condemned? is it a action horror, or psychological? is there much fighting in it,. or does it just terrify you?

Your basically in the dark with the crappiest torch ever in a city where the homeless population is going mad and becoming violent, and your on the trail of a serial killer....and most of the combat is melee with whatever you can find (pipes, bits of wood, etc), you get the odd gun too with about 3 or 4 shots max...

Its a great game, some of the levels are very tense and atmospheric, if you have surround sound, turn it up and play this game in the dark, you will definitely get a good few scares...
    Especially in the shopping mall

The sequel was a disappointment, as you had access to guns for most of the game and the enemies have guns too, and after playing the 1st one, its better when you rarely get a gun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

CKWPORT wrote: »
    Your basically in the dark with the crappiest torch ever in a city where the homeless population is going mad and becoming violent, and your on the trail of a serial killer....and most of the combat is melee with whatever you can find (pipes, bits of wood, etc), you get the odd gun too with about 3 or 4 shots max...

Its a great game, some of the levels are very tense and atmospheric, if you have surround sound, turn it up and play this game in the dark, you will definitely get a good few scares...

The sequel was a disappointment, as you had access to guns for most of the game and the enemies have guns too, and after playing the 1st one, its better when you rarely get a gun.

In a way it's also like CSI except better.

That_Guy wrote: »
    In a way it's also like CSI except better.

Forgot about that bit.....The CSI bits are class in both Condemned games, investigating the crime scenes and using the black light and other tools, it was cool!

I must go back and played Condemned again....it wasn't fun while I was playing it though because I was so on edge, it was only when I would turn it off I would think "that was class".

Some of the scares in that game were unreal. I don't want to say any of them as most are scripted and will spoil it for any of ye that haven't played it.

+1 For Dead Space too. Great Game, Best Game of last year IMO.

• Advertisement

Yeah thats an awful shame about Condemned 2. I never went near it because I didn't want the original ruined for me. I also heard it gets very Wizardy like toward the end with using magic spells or such bull****.
    +1 for the shopping Mall level. I needed a new pair of pants after that one. :D

ya, the end of Condemned 2 went a bit mad:
    You get super power like thing where you can pop heads with a scream
    There was nothing like that in the original.

Standout bits in the first game where the Mall as mentioned already, the High School (this level probably has the best scare in the whole game, man did I jump and scream like a girl roar F**K at the TV) and the House in the countryside near the end, that was unreal tense.

The whole end of that game really reminds me of a film but I just can't quite put my finger on it.
    I thought the whole 'Moral choice' with SKX at the end was executed (pardon the pun) really well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

I saw Condemned used in Gamestop for €5 earlier, I must pick it up though I played the demo for Condemned too and found it a tad too intense to be enjoyable! :P

I loved Dead Space though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭armour87

Again im gonna big up Dead Space, excellent game on par with Bioshock in terms of graphics, story and gameplay. People have mentioned Condemned already, and in particular I would recommend the first one.

As far as other games go I can't think of many on 360 but if you haven't played Halo 2 then do so immediately. Still, for me, the best game ever. And by far and away the best single player campaign out of all the Halo games.

There are a few games which have psychological and paranormal atmospheres without any great story. Left 4 Dead, Dead Rising, Nazi Zombies ;p

NotorietyH wrote: »
    I saw Condemned used in Gamestop for €5 earlier

A steal at that price.
    NotorietyH wrote: »
    I played the demo for Condemned too and found it a tad too intense to be enjoyable! :P

You probably hit the nail on the head there with that comment, I found Condemned to be that way, its worth playing though, not many games like it.

CKWPORT wrote: »

On this review, i will deffo be buying the game :) sounds great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I'd recommend Dead Space and Alone In The Dark. When you have both, put the Dead Space disc in the Alone In The Dark case, that way if you ever get robbed you'll still be able to play Dead Space because nobody in their right mind would even steal the piece of **** that is Alone In The Dark!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41 donCORK

Moiph wrote: »
    What about that I Am Alive game? Not sure when its out but it looks good.

Looking forward to this game myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

Not much to recommend other that what has been said here before.

Condemned is great.
    Condemned 2 is very good with better CSI moments but perhaps a worse story and the guns are too frequent.
    Dead Space is one of the best games of last year no doubts in my book.
    Fear and Fear 2 may be worth a look as well. Some very creepy make you jump moments in them both.

Advertisement