Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Goodbye for a while

• 30-09-2009 8:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭

So folks, I'm leaving the country to go traveling for 3 years today. I'm taking a 3 year career break and heading over to London tonight to sleep on friends sofas for a few months, get some work, save some more money and decide where I want to go when the time comes.
    I'll still be a regular on here and keep up with whats going on. Hopefully it won't be long before I have some fresh photos to post.

Pete.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Good luck!
    You won't get lost and if you find something, that would be even better. You are always welcome and I cannot wait to see your pictures.
    Have a good time and good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭xshayx

3 years, wow! Have a great time, and plenty of varied pics!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

sounds amazing... and so be begins your amazing adventure, to far off lands, keep in touch with photos and stories. Have an amazing time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

Sounds great. Have recession, must travel. :) I did the same 20 years ago, in my 20s. :) Are you keeping a travelblog or similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

I always wanted to travel the world when I was your age, make the most of it!
    Oh are you bringing a Camera! :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

All I'm bringing for the 3 years is:

1x BMX Bike
    1x Camera bag with laptop
    1x Small bag with a few t shirts

The bike is a pain to travel with, not so much weight but awkward when packed away. The camera bag is heavy with so much big glass in it.
    Anything else I can pick up on the way cheap and ditch when I need to travel again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

pete4130 wrote: »
    Anything else I can pick up on the way cheap and ditch when I need to travel again.

You sound like the Jack Reacher of BMX/photography! Have a whale of a time...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

1x Small bag with a few t shirts

Underpants!
    Don't forget to bring two pairs of underpants - wear one, wash one!

Seriously though, best of luck on your adventure and enjoy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Good luck dude, sounds amazing... cant wait to see the pics

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Sounds like the beginning of a great adventure. It will be good to see you chart the journey with Photographs.

As for the underpants. You can get 4 days out of one pair.
    Day 1 - Normal
    Day 2 - Backwards
    Day 3 - Inside out Normal
    Day 4 - Inside out Backwards

A mate of mine used to use this with Tee Shirts so I don't see why Underpants would be much different.

• Advertisement

My Rover Trekker AW 2 is stuffed with everything:

- Nikon D3
    - Nikon 14-24mm 2.8
    - Nikon 16mm fisheye 2.8
    - Nikon 24-70mm 2.8
    - Nikon 50mm 1.4
    - Nikon 80-200mm 2.8
    - Nikon 105mm 2.8 VR
    - 2xSB-80's
    - 1xSB-800
    - 4x Pocket Wizards & cables
    - Holga 120
    - Yashica T4 Super
    - Macbook & Charger
    - 1 x mini tripod

I've stuck in 3x socks, 3x undies & 3x t shirts in case my main clothes bag doesn't make it...one to wear, one to wash and one to dry. Its 15K-ish.
    I'm definitly getting stopped (again) at the Xray machines....my mini tripod folds up and sort of resembles a "gun" shape apparantly....couples with all the antennas, cables and electronics...

Add to that a BMX broken down into a duffle bag to disguise it (saves paying for an actual bike!)...another 15K and a rucksack with clothes in....another 15K.....going to be fun getting across London with all that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Best of luck Pete, I hope you enjoy your travels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭xia

Wow. Three years. I'm jealous now. Pity I wasn't adventurous enough when I was your age. Have a great time! And keep us posted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

My Rover Trekker AW 2 is stuffed with everything:

- Nikon D3
    - Nikon 14-24mm 2.8
    - Nikon 16mm fisheye 2.8
    - Nikon 24-70mm 2.8
    - Nikon 50mm 1.4
    - Nikon 80-200mm 2.8
    - Nikon 105mm 2.8 VR
    - 2xSB-80's
    - 1xSB-800
    - 4x Pocket Wizards & cables
    - Holga 120
    - Yashica T4 Super
    - Macbook & Charger
    - 1 x mini tripod

You seem to have got your priorities right! ;) Good luck and stay safe.

I've no choice but to travel really. Stagnant public sector job....along comes incentivised career break so I'm being paid not to work for 3 years....I can't work here during that time unless I'm self employed....so why stay here!?!?!?!?

The money I get just about pays for my mortgage and car plus I've rented out 2 rooms in my house so thats a steady-ish €480 pocket money per month after I split the rent with the ex who still lives there (we're the best of friends thankfully!!) so I'll make the most of a once in a lifetime opportunity and go travel...no plans other than find some work in London...possibly photog work if I'm lucky and see where I get to across the world!

@ Valentia.....I had to leave the 85mm 1.8 at home....absoultely no space for it and it's underused as it is :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭xia

So that's where the three years are coming from. Was wondering.
    I'd say to make a photo project from this is definitely worthwhile. One year around the world is pretty "normal". But three...if you decide to go further away than London;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

Great, good luck. Personally I'd have brought a bit less gear !!

Pick an interesting and non touristy subject and record it over a number of countries would make a great project.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Congragulations pete. You've taken the courage to do something most people would love to do but can't find the courage for. Have a whale of a time and take lots of pictures for us poor plebs. I'm sure you'll have great stories and amazing photos on your journey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Give me a shout when you land into London, we'll go for a few jars :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

@ Valentia.....I had to leave the 85mm 1.8 at home....absoultely no space for it and it's underused as it is :(
    I bought the Canon version a while back and for the 1st few months I couldn't find a use for it but now it has replaced my 50mm 1.4 as my main prime and it's actually in my top 2 lens for everyday use along with the 24-105L IS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

wow, sounds amazing, i'm so jealous.
    have an amazing time and looking forward to seeing your shots!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

best of luck :D

hopefully you'll keep us all informed (and jealous) - could even contact one of the papers and see if they are interested in doing a piece on recession travellers.... like yourself - nothing happening so keeping yourself busy until things turn around - could be an extra source of income while your travel (and will allow you access to some "irish" events abroad.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭l pearse

Don't forget to write............Waving.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Goodluck dude, im fairly jealous!

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭rameire

Good luck! Have a great time and we'll all be here when you get back! hahaha :D

Hopefully you'll share the stories along your way though!

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭katiemaloe

Good luck pete... I really admire your spirit and attitude to your situation. Have fun and keep us updated :)
    When you are travelling and meeting new people in new places.... never refuse an invitation. I never refuse invitations and end up doing all kinds of fun and strange things :)
    Enjoy!

Katie,

I think I met you at someones birthday a while ago...in Market bar....it was Nella's birthday a month or two back I think...I knew I rec'd your face from your Dun L night time shots....maybe I'm totally off the mark???

Made it to London safely...my bike didn't...security issue apparantly...I think my pegs might have looked like pipe bombs (happened before)....saved me carrying from the airport...being delivered tomorrow by courier. Nice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Best of luck, Go Neiri An Bothar Leat (May The road Rise To Meet You) ;):)
    /for years I thought it was 'may the road rise beneath you !!' :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

I've no choice but to travel really. Stagnant public sector job....along comes incentivised career break so I'm being paid not to work for 3 years....

ah ha! so it's you that is single-handedly reducing the huge public sector pay burden. Right on!

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

ah ha! so it's you that is single-handedly reducing the huge public sector pay burden.

Unfortunately not! He's being piad for three years NOT to work!!!! WTF. How many others are out there like him? And we're left behind paying for it......doesn't make any sense.

Stiil I wish him well in his travels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Christ I hate my private sector job :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

So long and see you soon Pete, have a good trip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Have a blast man, trip of a lifetime!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

This always happens the pete models, they should never have given them that wanderlust. I remember the day pete4129 left for Paris :(

Advertisement