Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battered Mars Bars

Options
  • 30-09-2009 8:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭

Some friends and i were discussing them in college, none of us have tried them. Does anyone know a chipper in town that does them? Or has anyone tried them and want to share their experience?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

cotwold wrote: »
    Some friends and i were discussing them in college, none of us have tried them. Does anyone know a chipper in town that does them? Or has anyone tried them and want to share their experience?

Blughhhh, They are the reason why there is a part of Scotland where the average life expectancy is less than that on the Gaza Strip. FACT!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

If you're in Dublin there's a chipper on Capel St down near the bridge end has a 'Why not try a battered Mars Bar?' sign in the window

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

I really want to try one of these. I love sweet and savoury together. Oh, and melty.
    Went to get one in one of the few chippers that do these, but they were out at the time. Must go back :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Out of Mars Bars? You could have gone to the nearest shop/petrol station to get one for them to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

I know but they have to be pre-battered or something.. Plus, feck it, let them purchase their own stock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

Tried it at home years ago - VERY tasty!! but good bit of effort, I froze the mars bars and made batter. the batter needs to be fairly thick and the frozen marsbar helps it stick, don't leave in the deep fat fryer too long tho...makes a bit of a mess....:eek:

Def try it, exceedingly good!:D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Mmmm, tasty but incredibly fattening! The lesser-known deep-fried Crunchie is the way to go though,

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Turlock

Anywhere will do them for you but you need to give them the mars bars. He'll batter and frie them for you.

Worth a go, always wanted to try one and they're def a bit nice but not sure why...

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭cotwold

ok, thanks for all the feedback. Im gonna try out this one on capel street and ill report back with my findings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

Faith wrote: »
    Mmmm, tasty but incredibly fattening! The lesser-known deep-fried Crunchie is the way to go though,

Crunchie!:eek: my favorite bar! must try that!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭katiemaloe

battered mars bars and crunchies.... wow Im so goin looking for these at the weekend? Has anyone tried deep fried ice cream? Apparantly, you wrap a pancake around a ball of hard frozen ice cream and dip it in honey, then broken cornflakes. It sounds so good but you would have to change the oil afterwards. God Im drooling.... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Don't like mars bars, so I asked for a snickers one in Edinburgh.
    Tbh.. not a big fan, I don't like my chocolate bars all melty like it's been in someones pocket for a week, but when in Scotland. Wouldn't go for it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭Shelga

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I had one for my birthday desert at the Bull and castle gastro pub (opposite Christchurch).
    It was fantastic stuff :D I would not eat them a lot, one was enough and perhaps I will try it again some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,050 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Blughhhh, They are the reason why there is a part of Scotland where the average life expectancy is less than that on the Gaza Strip. FACT!!!

Source?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

The Seashell on Townsend street used to do them... RIP :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭kart

I tried it. Wouldn't buy again. If i want something sweet buy a bit yucky and salty in same time i go for battered pineapple rings:P Btw, every time i finish eating thm i throw few away cos they taste a bit weird... few is enough... and i think "damn why i bought them again?". But after few weeks forgeting the tase i buy again:P Theres something in it that makes me buy them again and again and then still throw half out, hehe

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭rockmongrel

Pretty sure all of the Leo Burdocks do them, definitely the one in Rathmines anyway.

Advertisement