Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ennis National School

• 30-09-2009 10:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know where the specific site is located. I know its the Kilrush road, but is it across from the Campus station or beyond the bypass?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

At the cross roads of the Kilrush Road to the Market, across from the youth Centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 67 ✭✭croker95

If you are asking about the new site, its beyond O Sullivan Hansbury, at the roundabout there is a new dirt road to the right. The new school is about 300 yards in from the main road.

I see there is a new Principal appointed, Ray McInerney from Sixmilebridge. Only the third principal in the History of the Nash i believe.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Oops, sorry, yeah that's where the new site is, I thought you might have being looking for directions to vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭drunken_munky52

croker95 wrote: »

I see there is a new Principal appointed, Ray McInerney from Sixmilebridge. Only the third principal in the History of the Nash i believe.

Garry Stacko won't go quietly, he wants to retire on a high note by overseeing the building of it.

Has the new guy actually taken over already?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Garry Stacko won't go quietly, he wants to retire on a high note by overseeing the building of it.

Has the new guy actually taken over already?

I thought Stack had retired? He's been banging on about the new school for 15 years so if he was waiting around for it to actually get done he'd be 70.

I wonder what'll go on the old site. Probably more houses.. yawn. They should have just built a new 2 storey school on the old site and there would have still been plenty of room for kids to run about in.

Personally I think there's too much emhasis on buildings and facilities these days (not that we have them admittedly). Most of my youth was spent in prefabs but all I cared about was the quality of the teaching. The government needs some way of weeding out the crappy ones. Good teachers are crucial if the kids are going to learn anything, and not get bored out of their skulls. The Nash kept trying to put my brother in the remedial class because he was stupid and he ended up get 590 points in his leaving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

ol stacko he still going ?..many the hidin' i got off him when i was in the nash

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭maiden

i think stacko retired officially a few months ago but the new guy just took over last monday.

When i lived in drumbiggle we were approached about the viability of the new site, and while there was pros and con for both sites, my main concern was what happens to the townies with no cars, the parents with cars who prefer to walk their kids to school?

I reckon the site is too far out of town, for the walkers.....we asked for buses to be laid on for the walkers as i wouldnt like to be walking a 5 year old from drumbiggle to o sullivan and hansburys. I do not have primary school kids but many others do.

maiden wrote: »

I reckon the site is too far out of town, for the walkers.....we asked for buses to be laid on for the walkers as i wouldnt like to be walking a 5 year old from drumbiggle to o sullivan and hansburys. I do not have primary school kids but many others do.

Well, I would be all in favour for forcing kids to make their own way to school, either by bike or walking. Its scandalous to see children been chauffered to school, just look at the obesity of them and you know what I mean.

OK, agreed the little ones should be transported safely, does not mean it has to be by car tough. But by the time a child is 7, he or she should have his first bike and be well able to cycle (worked for me as far as I can remember).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭maiden

Well, I would be all in favour for forcing kids to make their own way to school, either by bike or walking. Its scandalous to see children been chauffered to school, just look at the obesity of them and you know what I mean.

OK, agreed the little ones should be transported safely, does not mean it has to be by car tough. But by the time a child is 7, he or she should have his first bike and be well able to cycle (worked for me as far as I can remember).

I agree but come on you dont expect parents to walk miles to school in the morn, back home and then off again the afternoon to collect them.

I always made my own way to school and a fine walk it was too, but i would never let my seven year òld cycle miles to school and back.

You'd wonder how people in the country ever managed to get to school :D

• Advertisement

They should have just built a new 2 storey school on the old site and there would have still been plenty of room for kids to run about in.

It was an option at one point but the lack of space for proper sports and recreation facilities were the deciding factor in the end.
    Probably more than 600 children in the school now with a small hall and one playing field. No canteen etc

Its not like the school has been moved that far, less than a km !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Mmm.. now that I think about it maybe lots of stairs with primary school kids aren't a good idea as well.

The roads are pretty dangerous nowadays. Different from 18 years ago when I was in primary. I wouldn't be mad about my kids cycling until they're 10 years old or so.

croker95 wrote: »
    It was an option at one point but the lack of space for proper sports and recreation facilities were the deciding factor in the end.
    Probably more than 600 children in the school now with a small hall and one playing field. No canteen etc

Its not like the school has been moved that far, less than a km !

Does the site need to rezoned if its to be developed into something else? They will have to leave the playing pitch alone, as its zoned green space. Turnpike soccer still use it as far as I know.

Now with the handball and squash allys out the back, the site is mint for expanding these facilities. I would say that given the youth centre is across the road, the site could be used for evening activities for it. Like the adventure centre in Killaloe, we could have rope climbing, archery, etc

Best use of prime space like that in these times when kids need more facilities to stop them wandering the streets in gangs and loitering outside the cinema.

According to the 2008 Development Plan Here the site is a "Proposal Site".

This seems to mean that the Planners have very specific ideas of what they want to happen here including "a portion of the site should remain as public open space available for informal recreational purposes."

I think the site in still owned, in some way, by the Bishop.

Probably nobody in a rush to develop it at the moment anyway ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

Mmm.. now that I think about it maybe lots of stairs with primary school kids aren't a good idea as well.

sure, the holy family have stairs and we were grand..
    Just thinking about it, that school was fair 'up to date' with a canteen, cookery room for us kids, a big hall, touch screen boards, tinted blue windows (ha!)...

...except the sports field was a joke :pac:

suprisingly, ive never been in the grounds of the nash but from what i can see... :eek: . Hopefully the problemo will be be solved soon :).

Advertisement