Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shag Bands - Is it occuring in Ireland?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Well my housemate says, they should be made green, white and orange ones if they want to be as badly f**ked as their parents.

But OT, if you see a 9yo wearing them, then there is prob nothing in the world for you to worry about, older kids I am not sure. The warning light in my head is that the MAP is available to 11 year olds.

An honest and open family with good values will have no problems. And a lot of kids are told about pregnancy and diseases related to sex so they are not stupid! But that said, there is always going to be the one or two, and they will ruin everything for the others!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭Ciaramb92

I'm 17 and not a parent ;) but I would be horrified if my 11 year old (6th class) cousin was talking about what each band meant... When I was young I thought they were just pretty bracelets.

There is no problem with them wearing them as long as they don't know they have meanings//what the meanings are. Secondary school kids are a different story, they know about these things anyway. I was horrified when I saw the list of things they meant (one list I saw had the 69 position). I'm no prude but that is shocking!

Just my 2 cents..!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Keptic

chele wrote: »
    Yellow- Hug

Blue- oral sex!

Hang on, so if I'm a male in my 30's and wear bands someone may actually think that I'm up for a hug and an oral?*

* they'd be right tho... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

My 8yr old came home the other day asking for a packet of shag bands:eek:

He said all the boys in school have them....(it's an all boys school). he hasn't a clue what the name means, so I just asked if they wre called anything else. And he said they're called friendship bands too. So I says..well, u just call them friendship bands ok?....and I bought him two packets!

Him and his pals on the road (who would be 8 or under) all call them frienship bands and swap different colours - they don't mean anything sexual to any of them. To be honest, it would have been a bigger issue to him if I didn't let him have them:D

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

My 8 year old daughter came home from school today & said those bracelets are banned from school as they mean something bad. But she didn't know what they meant. I'll leave her wear them away outside of school as what she doesn't know won't hurt her. They're only cool bracelets as far as she's concerned.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Yummy_Mummy

Im 27 and all the kids in my school were into the shag bands... when I ws about 14-15 it all started. they'd get a different coloured band from different fellas they were "intimate" with... disgusting really...
    It was like a race... loads of the girls were showing off = who they got what band from and for doing what.
    :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Joseph01666

I wear shag-bands to school, and I have to say they are a very BIG thing!! They are cool and fashionable (in my opinion) and are fun to wear! Now, about the meanings of them...........I've had a few of mine broken and we do what they mean, but if it's too extreme usually we opt out, but I've had plenty of fun wearing a few on my wrist and getting them broken/snapped by a few people!! hehe!

Anyways whats the big deal over them? Someone "enlighten" me with your views........

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Anyways whats the big deal over them? Someone "enlighten" me with your views........

Parents do not like the idea of their young children wearing symbols propositioning sexual acts. As many have said, they do not believe their children are partaking in these acts, they are just uncomfortable with the second meaning of the bands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Joseph01666

Ok, so maybe the parents don't approve of their children wearing them, but I mean it's the childs choice not to do what they mean, or to just "pass" on them, but generally at the end of the day its down to what "the wearers opinion" of them are........... (In my view)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Just read this and thought wth these was big at the beginning of school they were just something kids collected they didn't mean anything at the local one no idea what perhaps secondary school or some primary school kids are on about but this was very innocent and it's only adult reading too much into it.
    The kids were just collecting them and swapping various colours, just like we did with fancy paper years ago.
    Novelty like with anything wore off very quickly and don't think the kids bother now back to the next fad.

Obviously if parents felt this was being interpreted diffently in other schools they should say something but with the ones round here it was just annoying cheap little colouredy bands that kids collected and swapped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

ash23 wrote: »
    I think I'd be more worried about kids being so stupid as to think they have to perform a sex act for a random member of the opposite sex, simply because s/he managed to get a coloured bracelet off their wrist.

That comes with getting a ring onto their finger, right?

Advertisement