Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting ready for Winter.........

Options
  • 30-09-2009 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just wonder what people are doing in the garden this time of year and what needs to be done.

I am cleaning out a bed i had some salad plants in to get ready for bulbs.

Also on the lawn, was thinking of using a fork to airate (spelling??) it and help drainage over winter. Is this a good idea or not?

What other things need to be done at this time?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭barry75

Things that i need to get done is to cut back dead growth of perennials ready for winter,2 Mulch shrubs trees and beds with organic matter,i usually get spent mushroom compost,bark will work as well.this prevents weeds and is very good for your plants.You can use a fork on your lawn to spike your lawn this improves drianage.Apply a autumn feed to the lawn some come with a weedkiller as well.its usually slow release fertiliser.Plant up spring bulbs i sometimes stagger them in stages 2 weeks apart so you will have a nice display for a long time in spring.Check any trees you have planted in the last few years they are secure and staked.

Advertisement