Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BCG ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

liliq wrote: »
    The problem with the BCG is that TB has evolved hugely since the BCG was developed, there are numerous different strains and the BCG is completely ineffective against the huge majority of them. The strains it is effective against are not ones that are even commonly seen anymore, as far as I know.

Because of different vaccine regimens in other countries and the free movement of people, I have no doubt that that is contributing to it. But rather than just getting rid of the vaccine, they owe it to people to alter the vaccine which is easily done these days. Still cheaper than dealing with a large TB outbreak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭sari

My son didn't get the bcg either, first of all I got no letter about when to go get it so I asked my GP about it at the 2 month vaccine appointment. He advised me not to get because it is outdated and doesn't offer protection to prevalent TB strains now, he also said that it has a high incidence of reactions. Another thing he said was that it's much harder to diagnosis TB in someone who has been vaccinated as it leads to a false positive result. He said Ireland was one of the last developed counties to give the BCG, that pretty much every other developed country has stopped BCG because of the reasons he mentioned.

Advertisement