Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin City Council Resurfacing Roads at Night Time

Options
  • 30-09-2009 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭

For a week now (weekend included) at night time the council have been resurfacing the road outside my house on the Harold's Cross Road. Fair enough if this has to be done but it's getting ridiculous. Noise pollution laws normally mean that this carry on stops at 11.30pm but apparently the council have given permission for the work to continue until 5.30am. To be fair they haven't been going until 5.30am but they have been at it until around 2 or 3am every night. This is making me sad :( it's so bloody loud. I miss being able to sleep. Is anyone else being affected by this?

And I thought the Garda helicopter was bad :(
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

cosmic wrote: »
    For a week now (weekend included) at night time the council have been resurfacing the road outside my house on the Harold's Cross Road. Fair enough if this has to be done but it's getting ridiculous. Noise pollution laws normally mean that this carry on stops at 11.30pm but apparently the council have given permission for the work to continue until 5.30am. To be fair they haven't been going until 5.30am but they have been at it until around 2 or 3am every night. This is making me sad :( it's so bloody loud. I miss being able to sleep. Is anyone else being affected by this?

This is the great thing about the corpo, they enforce the laws so they can decide when to let themselves ignore the law. I had the same problem a year back and when I rang the relevent dept, they told me they had been directed by their superiors to redirect any calls on the matter to the DCC company who were causing the noise :eek:.

Imagine ringing the gardai and having them put you through to the drug dealer that you're complaining about:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Bambi wrote: »
    This is the great thing about the corpo, they enforce the laws so they can decide when to let themselves ignore the law.

I know! It's a bloody joke :eek:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

It's partly to not disrupt traffic during the day, partly because they get paid loads to do it at night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

have you seen how much of harolds cross road has actuallybeen re-surfaced? it seems pointless, there is just little patches all along the road

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭candy19

Yea I live there as well, what the hell is going on with it?
    I havn't had a proper nights sleep in ages. I've seen the machinery parked down mount argus grove...it seems that laws change to suit certain people/organisations an dthe rest of us just have to grin and bear it!

• Advertisement

have you seen how much of harolds cross road has actuallybeen re-surfaced? it seems pointless, there is just little patches all along the road

That's what the most annoying thing is! They've spent an entire week digging up and resurfacing the tiny patch of road outside Late Shopper! Seriously, this is what I've been missing out on sleep for? Also, I've noticed on my cycles to work that the bike lanes haven't been repainted, I wonder how many nights it'll take them to do that.
    candy19 wrote: »
    Yea I live there as well, what the hell is going on with it?
    I havn't had a proper nights sleep in ages.

I reckon they're just stretching the job out as long as possible to get paid as much over time as they possibly can. It wouldn't surprise me!

That's what the most annoying thing is! They've spent an entire week digging up and resurfacing the tiny patch of road outside Late Shopper! Seriously, this is what I've been missing out on sleep for? Also, I've noticed on my cycles to work that the bike lanes haven't been repainted, I wonder how many nights it'll take them to do that

there are 4 patches outside the crossbar

there are 4 patches outside the crossbar

Actually they did them the week before :eek: I'm not joking. This is how productive they're being. It's unbelievable!

Actually they did them the week before :eek: I'm not joking. This is how productive they're being. It's unbelievable!

i know, i was there when they were doing it. on sunday night just gone i was going to the garage and most of the 'workers' were just sitting in the vans eating and listening to the radio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

The workers get extra money for working nights, they might drag this out ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

I live just down the road from you before the end of harolds cross road as it goes into terenure, was that a garda helicopter hovering in the sky the other night? It was there for ages and very loud but they werent shining any lights, maybe it was a night vision camera they were using. at least the seagulls havent been around lately at 4/5am every morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

mikemac wrote: »
    The workers get extra money for working nights, they might drag this out ;)

thats exactly what they do, a bit like with the road building in the past.

the builders would give a quote for a new motorway and then take their time and go way over budget.

I live just down the road from you before the end of harolds cross road as it goes into terenure, was that a garda helicopter hovering in the sky the other night? It was there for ages and very loud but they werent shining any lights, maybe it was a night vision camera they were using.

Yep it was indeed. I can normally hear it flying over Drimnagh/Crumlin area at night time but it rarely comes that close to Harold's Cross. It was going for bloody ages the other night. I was really p1ssed off because I had only just managed to get asleep because of all the road works and then that started up. Not a fun night! My OH went outside to have a nose and apparently there were a load of police sirens going off and squad cars zooming about so there must have been something big going on. Strange that there was no mention of anything on the news since though. :confused:

last night they completely dug up the road from centra to the garage, including the parts they had already re-surfaced.
    ludicrous

Advertisement