Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Audi slashes 10pc off its new car prices

• 30-09-2009 11:29am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭

http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/motoring/audi-slashes-10pc-off-its-new-car-prices-1899761.html
    AUDI last night claimed it will cut the price of their cars by nearly 10pc.
    They said the average will be 9.8pc from tomorrow.
    The new prices and equipment will be available on nearly every model -- including the new A5 Sportback (pictured).
    The company also claims standard spec has been increased across the range.

I guess VW and others in the VAG stable will be following suit soon :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Link to audi website price list

Notice 1.2 tsi is in the A3 too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

There's a lot of upspec'ing in the specs too - larger alloys, adding in parking sensors, A/C standard in the A3 (finally...), that kinda stuff.

Good news! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Is a new A3 in the wings? Anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

What does this make Skodas worth then? :eek::D

Is a new A3 in the wings? Anyone know?

Word is it'll be launched in 2011, which means it'll probably be here in 2012.

They're doing "mule testing" at the moment afaik and leaking artist renderings, so it's not too soon...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,582 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Whoah! S4 cut by 20 grand (to 57k)! BMW's 335 now looks way overpriced....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I had a look through the price list. There doesnt seem to be much change in price of TT diesel or indeed A6 diesel which has been offered for 39,900 for a good while now.

TT will be upspec'd (details still to be released, but worth a few quid).

A6 was offered at €39,900 for the LE spec which was downspec'd from the standard car (smaller wheels, more basic radio etc) while afaik this pricing now applies to the standard model.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭cancan

Audi to existing customers: "Thanks suckers"

So if they increased the price they'd be robbin' gits, if they drop the price they're stickin' it to their loyal customers.

What would make you happy cancan?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

cancan wrote: »
    Would you have been happier had they not dropped their prices?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Anan1 wrote: »

And increased specification?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

-Chris- wrote: »
    So if they increased the price they'd be robbin' gits, if they drop the price they're stickin' it to their loyal customers.

What would make you happy cancan?
    Well, I dont drive one, but I'd bet people who bought a new one in the last 6 months and maybe paid extra for better specs will be feeling pretty annoyed. That double-whammy will have knocked several grand off the resale value.

Anan1 wrote: »

Perhaps they could return that 10% to owners who purchased in the last few years?

Basically, like most manufacturers, they were gouging the irsh market, and now, to save their dealers, they are slashing the cost of new cars to generate some showroom traffic and a few sales, and to hell with the resale values and past customers.

Tiz greed with a different slant.

Perhaps they could return that 10% to owners who purchased in the last few years?

Basically, like most manufacturers, they were gouging the irsh market, and now, to save their dealers, they are slashing the cost of new cars to generate some showroom traffic and a few sales, and to hell with the resale values and past customers.

No, it's business. Times are tough yes, but they are reacting by reducing prices in a bid to stimulate business. I can only see it as a good thing to be honest. Annoying yes for people that may have bought one this year but other factors have wiped more off their cars value so really, I dont think these reductions will make any significant difference.

Also, I'd fcukin love to see the reaction you'd get walking into a dealer looking for 10% back on what you originally paid for your 3 year old A6:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

It's MDL they should be pissed off with, not Audi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭robbie99

Reducing prices like that and the effect it has on resale values... Is this not the same as when VRT was reduced last year?

Do those who blame the VRT reductions for the downturn in Irish sales think Audi's move is a good thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭speedfreak

VolvoMan wrote: »
    It's MDL they should be pissed off with, not Audi.

MDL have nothing to do with VW Group anymore, its the manufacturer who directly imports to Ireland. Its a good move in response to market and doubtful MDL would have had the foresight to do it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭bazzachazza

A6 2.0TDI 136BHP 6 SPEED 1968 136 139 B € 156 € 42,310

Current listed price

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

Its part of a clean slate approach to pricing and equipment that Audi had commited to doing on taking over from MDL. Remember reading an interview with the new MD and that was one of his aims. These things dont happen overnight and i think with the exchange rate the way it is it will help keep more money in Ireland and not abroad in the queens pocket.

New equipment:

A3 - Air con and ESP - Isofix on the 5 door S Line exterior and 17" quattro wheels for anything with 170 horsies and up.
    A4 - Servotronic and split folding rear seat
    A5 - Servotronic and upgraded alloys
    A6 - Driver Information System and Chrome exterior
    TT - 18" Wheels and S Line exterior
    Q7 - SE for free

SE and Sport upgraded on A3, A4 and A6 and premiums cut.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

speedfreak wrote: »
    MDL have nothing to do with VW Group anymore, its the manufacturer who directly imports to Ireland. Its a good move in response to market and doubtful MDL would have had the foresight to do it

I know that. What I was saying is that MDL were the people responsible for the prices being over-inflated in the first place, and now that the VW Group has taken back the distribution, they are charging what they should be charging for the cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭speedfreak

VolvoMan wrote: »
    I know that. What I was saying is that MDL were the people responsible for the prices being over-inflated in the first place, and now that the VW Group has taken back the distribution, they are charging what they should be charging for the cars.

yep fair point...didn't get that from your last post.

A6 2.0TDI 136BHP 6 SPEED 1968 136 139 B € 156 € 42,310

Current listed price

Now €39,900

http://www.audi.ie/etc/medialib/ngw/ie/misc.Par.0026.File.pdf/pricelist.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭mumblin deaf ro

Still seem to be much more expensive here than elsewhere (probably true for other cars too) - see this thread about the price of the A6 around the world. About €10K difference, which seems higher than VRT would explain.

http://www.saabsunited.com/2009/09/2010-saab-9-5-price-how-much-is-an-audi-a6-where-you-live.html

10k difference to the lowest price that was quoted. From my reading of that the average A6 price was between 34 and 35k, maybe even higher. Ireland at 39k isnt a million miles away when you consider our problems with VRT. We are actually lower than a lot of countries.

Its worth remembering Audi lose money on every car they sell in the USA due to the cost of producing them in euros and then exporting them to the states. BMW just build theres over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Dwilly

An S4 is now almost 40 grand cheaper than the S5 with newer technology, comparable performance, a more efficient engine and 2 more doors. Mind boggling. :eek:

I'm one of there recent 09 customers.

I bought an A6 170bhp diesel. Am I disappointed that they have chopped 10% off the price.

Currently its listed basic at

A6 2.0 TDI 170BHP 6 SPEED 1968 170 149 C € 302 € 43,680

Which is dropping to

A6 2.0 TDI 170HP € 43,000 149 C € 302 + A6 - Driver Information System and Chrome exterior apparently

A saving if thats all that changes of 680+327+347(565 if its colour DIS)=€1354(1572)

Well €1354 in my pocket would have paid half for leather or auto for the car. I still saved money and would never have even got the car if the VRT hadn't changed on the car last year.

No i'm not disappointed I still will be getting another Audi unless my eye wanders elsewhere. I will do better in a trade in Audi for Audi than any other make.

I can't live my life by hindsight.

It should boost sales. I imagine other companies in Ireland will do the same. So may be this will kick start some small business for car dealers.

This is long term it will take years for Audi to increase there prices again.

The S4 is only €1000 or so more than a 3 litre diesel. Why have 240bhp when you can have 333bhp.

Although from what I have read the S4 is a dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Give me a break.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't dare show my face in the dealership and ask for the difference back.

You best run down to your local petrol station and ask for your money back. Don't be ridiculous. Prices go up as well as down. Would Audi have come knocking on my door if they had put the prices up. NO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Just in relation to the customers who bought Audi's in the last year or so, remember you are not alone.

Think of all the BMW drivers who have lost alot of money because of the Sterling collection, the Ford drivers who have been affected by massive price cuts, Peugoet, Citroen, Nissan etc.

Everyone has done it - I'm just surprised Audi has left it so late.

Thankfully its only a minor price saving and spec change. I have the DIS in my car anyway and I put on a god few extras. So that should absorb some of the impact in a trade in.

I would not have liked to take a kick in the teeth if I had bought the E 136bhp version. I had to take one last year with the VRT change which hit my trade in price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I just think its hilarious that Audi can tell their customers that they were overcharging them by 10%, but now that the economy is **** they will reduce the price to something more suitable. But what is even funnier is the morons who will just head straight back out & buy from them again...

Personally, I wouldn't buy from anyone who blatently took the piss out of me.

But what is even funnier is the morons who will just head straight back out & buy from them again...

Appreciate that thanks !

Bluefoam wrote: »
    I just think its hilarious that Audi can tell their customers that they were overcharging them by 10%, but now that the economy is **** they will reduce the price to something more suitable. But what is even funnier is the morons who will just head straight back out & buy from them again...

Personally, I wouldn't buy from anyone who blatently took the piss out of me.

I just bought a house. I'm spending a lot of time in the Harvey Normans/DIDs/Currys of this world. ALL OF THEM have reduced their prices. ALL OF THEM have sales on and promise price-matching etc. etc.

Harvey Norman ran and ad that said "come haggle with our salespeople".

My local pub is now doing lunch specials at 30% less than they were charging last year.

The economy is down. Every retailer is under pressure. Most are dropping their prices, and those who don't will be under even more pressure.

It's terrible that the economy is down, but it's fantastic to see some proper competition between retailers. The consumer will benefit in the long run.

I don't see why people feel the need to slate the retailers for gouging rather than compliment them for offering better value.

If you bought an Audi (or Tag Heuer or 5 star holiday) last year and felt you were getting value and enjoy(ed) your purchase, fair play.
    If you can get the same thing cheaper this year and would happily indulge again, that's your perogative.

Your "moron" comment is probably a bit over the top.

My €0.02

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Along with getting your 10%, why not call into your estate agent and ask for that 100k which is how much cheaper your house is being sold for in the next launch phase?

Seriously, its a new economic world out there, and everybody has to adapt. I work in IT and long before any recession took hold you could buy the best of the best PC and 10 minutes after you put the order in the price could go down by 10%. It didn't matter when you bought it, you knew the price would fall but you just had to bite the bullet.

As a layman I see the motor industry has been in flux in Ireland for the last year or two, so anybody buying during this period would have to do so with there eyes open and know that if radical changes occur then they could be out of pocket on resale.

If you bought an Audi (or Tag Heuer or 5 star holiday) last year and felt you were getting value and enjoy(ed) your purchase, fair play.

Comparing an Audi to Tag Heuer or a 5 star holiday is not a fair comparison - Tag are a premium brand - but even so, the price of a Tag Heuer watch is comparable throughout the world - they do not apply a paddy tax... If they were to apply a 10% discount, it would happen all across the world & would not equate to knocking the extra 10% they applied just for being Irish...

If they were to apply a 10% discount, it would happen all across the world & would not equate to knocking the extra 10% they applied just for being Irish...

Silly statement. If you look at the price Audi sells their product at pre-tax they are among the lowest in Europe. The comparison is fair - all are consumer goods at the end of the day and prices are reflected in demand

Are you telling me a Tag costs the same in Singapore & Dubai as it does in DUblin & Paris?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Comparing an Audi to Tag Heuer or a 5 star holiday is not a fair comparison - Tag are a premium brand - but even so, the price of a Tag Heuer watch is comparable throughout the world - they do not apply a paddy tax... If they were to apply a 10% discount, it would happen all across the world & would not equate to knocking the extra 10% they applied just for being Irish...

You're on the backfoot here Bluefoam you're arguement makes no sense whatsoever. And a Tag watch is considerably more expenstive in Ireland than it is in the UK or US, even factoring in the conversion.

Well done on Audi anyway and long may it continue

• Advertisement

Are you telling me a Tag costs the same in Singapore & Dubai as it does in DUblin & Paris?

That is their policy. I have looked for at Tag Heuer in various countries & have found the prices to be comparable...

That is their policy. I have looked for at Tag Heuer in various countries & have found the prices to be comparable...

A friend of mine was able to save approx 50% buying his Tag Monaco in Brisbane in '07.

A friend of mine was able to save approx 50% buying his Tag Monaco in Brisbane in '07.

I can get a Tigeuer online for €10

OK, well let's drop the Tag arguement then, it's descending into farce.

Do you accept the point that various products (luxury or otherwise) are priced differently in different territories to reflect the purchasing power of the people in those territories and the competitive environment there?

Do you accept the point that various products (luxury or otherwise) are priced differently in different territories to reflect the purchasing power of the people in those territories and the competitive environment there?

Yes - fairly/unfairly/otherwise

If the customer is No1, perhaps they could lower their servicing costs too, which still have a massive paddy tax?

Again, this is just a ploy to increase sales - and to get the dealers more profit as the current pricing structure is not generating enough. The great main dealer rip off will continue.

If this was implemented on the servicing side also, I would agree that it is for the benefit of the comsumer. But it's not, and main dealer servicing costs are still ridiculously high in ireland compared to anywhere else in the world.

Servicing costs are controlled by individual dealers and therefore not under the control of Audi Ireland and therefore very hard to effect a change in the "global" servicing costs.

Everything is a "ploy" to increase sales/profit - they're a business, not a charity.

Do you see nothing positive in this cancan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

If the customer is No1, perhaps they could lower their servicing costs too, which still have a massive paddy tax?

Again, this is just a ploy to increase sales - and to get the dealers more profit as the current pricing structure is not generating enough. The great main dealer rip off will continue.

If this was implemented on the servicing side also, I would agree that it is for the benefit of the comsumer. But it's not, and main dealer servicing costs are still ridiculously high in ireland compared to anywhere else in the world.

Eh...they're a business that's the whole point of their existence - to maximise their profits. And we benefit :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

I'd draw a distinction between Audi lowering prices in reaction to current market conditions, and other manufacturers who seem(ed) to have a pre-planned policy of slashing prices after a period of time. Citroen were guilty of this a few years ago, presumably inflating prices for launch models only to cut them a few months later, thus slashing the resale values for existing owners.

Servicing costs are controlled by individual dealers and therefore not under the control of Audi Ireland and therefore very hard to effect a change in the "global" servicing costs.

Everything is a "ploy" to increase sales/profit - they're a business, not a charity.

Do you see nothing positive in this cancan?

It's a start.

Well, I'll give you an example - Check the BMW Inspections 1, 2 and 3.
    You will see instances of "replace fluids" in certain transmission parts that are marked by BMW as "sealed for life".

Now maybe the engineering boffins in BMW ireland discovered something that those in Munich missed :), but it does seem a dubious practice to be charging for something the factory does not deem necessary, and one would have to question if those fluids are actually being changed at all.

It does also shock me that dealers can charge 300 euro for a "service" which is no more than an oil change.

While I welcome any reduction in pricing within the market, there is a long way to go.

Importers and distributors have control over what is charged for routine maintenance. Certain standards are required to be held by the franchise holders and if Audi et al wanted to tackle them, it would not be rocket science to implement.

• Advertisement
Advertisement